looking for ADK / Mt Marcy info (and/or ski partner for Sunday)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: looking for ADK / Mt Marcy info (and ski partner for Sunday)

surfh2o
ts01 wrote
But aren't there some open snowfields on the peak of Marcy?  (That's what I recall from the Goodman book at least, and from hiking up in the summer about ten years back.)  What's it like up there?
Yes, there is good skiing on the Marcy snow fields.  Here are a few pictures (not mine) from last weekend:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=70561&start=1679
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: looking for ADK / Mt Marcy info (and ski partner for Sunday)

ts01
surfh2o wrote
ts01 wrote
But aren't there some open snowfields on the peak of Marcy?  (That's what I recall from the Goodman book at least, and from hiking up in the summer about ten years back.)  What's it like up there?
Yes, there is good skiing on the Marcy snow fields.  Here are a few pictures (not mine) from last weekend:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=70561&start=1679
Those threads with 100's of pages always put me off but that's some motivating stoke there.  Thanks.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: looking for ADK / Mt Marcy info (and/or ski partner for Sunday)

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by ts01
Adk Jeff wrote
Having seen your blog I don't think I'm capable of what you'd consider a proper TR but I'll give it a shot.
Like Harv said, let us know how it worked out for you.  Sounds like you've got the right attitude.  Snow surfaces may be a bit hard but the weather will be good - you'll have a great time.

BTW, great vids Mike and Mike.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ts01
Adk Jeff wrote
Like Harv said, let us know how it worked out for you.  Sounds like you've got the right attitude.  Snow surfaces may be a bit hard but the weather will be good - you'll have a great time.
Really excellent adventure!   Thanks to everyone for the input on this. The weather was great and snow was really good up the trail, but mostly hard and icey up on the very windy peak.  

I'll try to post more of a TR as time permits but for now here's a link to photos and captions that really tell the story.  I think if you click the image it will pull up the album on Picasa:

Thanks again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Nice pics, thanks for putting those up.  Love that photo just below the summit with the ice crystals flying around in the air.  The conditions you ran into above treeline on Marcy are very typical.  Can be beautiful soft snow below treeline, and completely windblown and icy above.  At least you had a beautiful sunny day.  Hope you had some fun turns on the way down.  Thanks again for posting, Marcy is a classic and one of my personal favorites.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by ts01
Really nice shots! Looks like you had a great day.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Very nice pic trip report. You should send your "ice feathers" pic into ADK Life when they have their yearly photo contest.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

ts01
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Very nice pic trip report. You should send your "ice feathers" pic into ADK Life when they have their yearly photo contest.
Thanks - I hope they have a separate category for camera phones - these were all taken on my Blackberry!