48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: saturday morning coffee club

Harvey
Administrator
Johnnyonthespot wrote
That's awesome. Are you relocating to the Crick?
Not so fast.  In about 5 years I'll be 65 and I'm hanging it up then. Our daughter will be out of school, hopefully heading to college, even more hopefully in the northeast.  That's when I'll retire.

I've been living in this tiny house (1100 sq ft) for over 30 years and my wife has been here for 16.  It's a compromise in many ways (minimal closets, no AC, small kitchen, other stuff) and she asked if we could spend this last stretch in a more comfortable house.  Not my choice, the new house is too modern and large for my taste, and walking to work will end. But compromise is part of relationships.

I'm really hoping to build something together on our land in the mountains when I retire.  I believe this compromise is a good faith effort to get her buy in.  

One really cool thing... forum member / occasional poster lemmycaution is an awesome architect who specializes in high efficiency/alternative energy design. He is meeting us at our property on 4th of July weekend to hear our ideas and start thinking.

Very excited about that!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
My girl and I talk about compromise all the time. We've come to the conclusion that in a compromise one person has to suffer. We've also concluded that as long as it's not her we'll be just fine
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Harv, that's gonna be a hell of a thread or whatever if you document the whole process of the new house  on the property. Looking forward to it.
  I thought you posted one time about selling headquarters. It made me sad, honestly. It also made me sad when Scotty said he might head out west. (Scotty I hope you're reading this) He's a true ambassador of the Whiteface ADK lifestyle IMO. Harv, it's an absolute pleasure to follow your story about Gore, headquarters, etc. I hope to join the ranks one day when the stars align for my family and I.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'll never sell HQ. I hope my daughter will want it when I am gone. One thing about building on that land, it makes it harder for someone that you leave it to, to maintain it. That might increase the chance that it will be sold.  Right now it needs almost nothing to keep it going. A proper house needs attention.

Don't know if I'll write about it or not.  My daughter keeps telling us that we'll "ruin it" if we put a proper house on our land, and honestly I understand what she is saying. Zelda and I have talked about getting an apartment in the valley (Warrensburg, Glens Falls, Queensbury...) and keeping HQ as is.  I want my wife to be happy and she isn't sure how she'll feel living full time up at 2000 feet.

One thing I will probably write about... we are putting in a zipline this summer.  I'm meeting an expert from SUNY Adk at the property next weekend to scope it out. Trying to decide how big to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Big move on my bd huh , i'll think of ya my man and tip one for ya!    

Hell i  aint got the energy to blow out 76 friggin candles unless i break wind

Just curious what 's your big mover this yr ?  OB , Forester m Ascent or Xtex ?

Harv: good luck on the new  digs , remember a happy Queen makes for a happy life,   partner 😉😏 Your long range plann b bout QB or the valley makes sense ..   HQ Is a damn icon man,  a statement , a touch stone for life ....it must be preserved , .just sayin !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
As usual, I think Warp is on to something. If you live full time in a mansion at HQ you might find of full time living in the mountains burdensome, and worse you might lose some of what you enjoy about it now.

Once I retired I found that not everyone I met was a pain in the ass,   and I started to enjoy being around people again. Also, as I get older I want to live in a neighborhood where I can walk everywhere for most of my needs. For me, somewhere in Saratoga Springs close enough to walk to the track and Gaffneys and stumble home every night fits the bill. Add a camp in the Dacks and that would be perfect. Toga has Lawn Guyland prices so that makes it a real stretch for me, but I’m still trying.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
These are all issues we are considering.  The other thing is that my wife is 12 years younger than I.  She doesn't want to stop working, plus there is the issue of health insurance.

Also "the valley" is closer to VT. Skiing Gore stay at HQ, skiing Magic or K, stay down low.

Milo Maltbie wrote
mansion
No way. That's not the MMM way!

What do you consider to be a mansion?

Our current place is 1100, we want to build 1800 on our land.  The house we are moving to now is bigger than that.

If it's not too personal, how big is everyone's house and how many people live in it full time?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
1334 - 4 people. I should/could move to a bigger place but inertia is a powerful force.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
We live in a2 bedroom apartment and I have off site storage nearby for my toys. It’s small but the worst thing is that it’s in a suburb where apparently it’s illegal to walk or ride a bike anywhere.

To me the 2 storey with attached garages all around here are mansions. It’s more about the constant maintenance than the size if house.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I’m on my way to Florida and my flight is delayed 2 hours. Florida is for old people and my ski season is over.

My life is hell. No one should take advice from me. Just watch what I do and do the opposite.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
At resorts world in the Cats. Probably gonna blow the ADK retirement land fund.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Got my man on the 1's and 2's right here.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Let me rephrase that.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Let me re-rephrase that!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Shout out to this old dude!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Harvey
2900 sq ft ..2 people...
maybe sell in 3 years..but it is cheaper to stay in the house then to rent..

also remember once your kid is in college your expenses don't go down.. Dad I need this and that continues and continues and...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Harvey
The Queen and i live in a 2000 sq ft Dutch Colonial here on the River , its in a ( relatively ) low tax area where our income and net worth put  us in a very favorable position . We are debt free so have a comfortable situation .

Now that said if our adult children or college aged grandkids were to move out of the greater metro area in Boston  or Manhattan ,for employment and be closer to us  , we would move to another location probably near the Daks in the region roughly from TOGA to Plattsburgh is the sweet spot .

If that happens with our kids (and it might be a possiblilty soon ) we would consider seeking out a town home or patio home in the 1300-1500 sq ft range closer to them . Want a master suite on the first floor , fp and maintenence free

Altho now i have a lawn and plowing service here on the River and hire in painters when needed so im maintenance free here  ( i call it my internal HOA fee  )
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I wouldn’t go much further North than Warrensburg - it’s the last major grocery store location and Glenn’s Falls is the last major hospital
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
  Glenn’s Falls is the last major hospital
Meh, there's a good horse doc in Bakers Mills that can stitch you up