1987 Buick GNX

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1987 Buick GNX

campgottagopee
I was watching the Mecum Auto Auction last night from Kissimmee FL . I'm a car guy so that's just what we do. One of the last cars of the night was a 1987 Buick GNX--- WOW did that puppy get some peeps all pumped up. I've always known of the Buick Grand National but this GNX is something special, truly wayyyyy ahead of it's time. I say that because there are a lot of car companys putting out incredible hp in turbo charged 4 and 6cyl motors. This GNX is no exception. They only made 560ish of these cars and they are worth BIG money. The one I watched had 10k miles on it, was in the wrapper, and sold for $70,000.00. Was totally a blast watching dudes duke it out to own this car. Anyway, has anyone heard/known of this car??? I didn't but I'm glad I do now.

From wiki:

For the final year, 1987, Buick introduced the Limited Production GNX "Grand National Experimental" at $29,900. Produced by McLaren Performance Technologies/ASC, Buick produced 547 with the Grand National interior trim Package. They were then sent off to McLaren Performance Technologies and upgraded into the Buick GNX. Buick underrated the GNX at 245 hp (183 kW) and a very substantial 360 lb·ft (488 N·m) of torque.[5] This was created to be the "Grand National to end all Grand Nationals." Changes made included a special Garrett T-3 turbocharger with a ceramic-impeller blowing through a more efficient and significantly larger capacity intercooler with a "CERMATEL (Ceramic/Aluminum) coated" pipe connecting the intercooler to the engine. A GNX specific E-EPROM, low-restriction exhaust with dual mufflers, reprogrammed Turbo Hydramatic 200-4R transmission with a custom torque converter and transmission cooler, and unique differential cover/panhard bar included more of the performance modifications. Exterior styling changes include vents located on each front fender, 16 inch black mesh style wheels with VR-speed rated tires, and deletion of the hood and fender emblems. The interior changes of the GNX included a serial number on the dash plaque and a revised instrument cluster providing analog Stewart-Warner gauges, including an analog turbo boost gauge. Performance was measured with a quarter mile time of 13.2 seconds at 104 mph (167 km/h) and a 0-60 mph (97 km/h) time of 4.3 seconds.[6] GNX #001 is the 1986 prototype currently owned by Buick and sometimes makes appearances at car shows around the US. The GNX used a unique torque arm that was mounted to a special, GNX only, rear differential cover, for increased traction. The torque arm rear suspension alters the suspension geometry, making the body lift while planting the rear tires down, resulting in increased traction.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1987 Buick GNX

pro2860
I heard of the Buick Grand National back in the day and they were BAD ASS! Looks like the GNX took it to the extreme..Nice!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
My buddy had a Grand National..What a freak'n beast..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
ah memories.  That is a bad ass car.  I always liked the monti carlo till I saw the grand national.  I had a lady friend who got a band new grand national for high school graduation.   I would really like to get  a muscle car someday.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
tjf1967 wrote
    I would really like to get  a muscle car someday.
The closest thing to a muscle car I ever owned was a 78 Vette --- it was a blast

Now I'm hooked on big old trucks. Someday I want some old 3/4 ton 4X4 restored back to original. I've had 'em all lifted and crap like that, but now there's just something about an original 1974 Dodge Power Wagon that gets me all fired up. Someday....
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
A friend from high school had a GNX. His dad owned a Buick store. This was about his 5th Regal Turbo. The GNX had a cut out in the front spoiler for the intercooler. This was a way to tell which Buick was the GNX vs the "mellower" Grand National. His car was faster than almost any other car other than purpose built drag cars. It handled well and could carry 4 people. It was pretty mellow until you got on it.  It was the faster than the 1987 Corvette.

It was a great car. I don't know what happened to it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That's impressive to have known someone who owned such a limited production car. Too bad you couldn't find out what happened to that car. I can't remember what they said during the auction for sure but I believe they claimed only 300ish of these cars still exsist today. Prolly the other 200 ended up wrapped around a tree.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
That's an awesome find. Could be a good ski car even with the RWD, I bet the seat is super comfy with the right sleeping bag.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
That's impressive to have known someone who owned such a limited production car. Too bad you couldn't find out what happened to that car. I can't remember what they said during the auction for sure but I believe they claimed only 300ish of these cars still exsist today. Prolly the other 200 ended up wrapped around a tree.
Knowing the person - nothing good came to the car. He had rich daddy syndrome. His dad sold the dealership before his boy could ruin it.