bumps
Just noticed this:

Belleayre: 152 inches
Plattekill: 233 inches

An 81-inch difference?

Reply |  

Re: 2016-17 Snowfall: Belleayre vs. Plattekill

louie.mirags
considering platte's totals would be close to double what is average I am going to say they exaggerate quite a bit.  It was a great season nonetheless

Reply |  

Brownski
In reply to this post by bumps
Plattekill would say this is the result of them being on the western edge of the Catskills,which lets them benefit from lake effect that rolls all the way across the CNY lowlands. Are you suggesting something more nefarious?

Reply |  

JasonWx
This wasn't a big LES year..

I can see a 10% increase over Bell...

"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply |  

Z
The weekend I skied Pkatty I skied Bell the next day and there was noticably more snow in the woods at Platty.

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Reply |  

Brownski
There's definately a case to be made that Plattekill gets more. I've always thought that. Why and how much is debatable I guess

Reply |  

evantful
Totally agree that on any given year, due to Platekill being further into Lake Effect terriority, it will get more snow then Belleayre (and Hunter and Windham also). That being said Belleayre gets its fair share of lake effect also and I can't imagine there being an 81in difference which is pretty astronomical

Reply |  

moguljunkie
The one time I skied trees at Belleayre in February and then the next day at Plattekill, coverage was a little better in the woods at Belleayre. Not sure about post-Stella, but I would think their totals from that storm would have been pretty close to each other.

Reply |  

moguljunkie
My comparison days were February 9th and 10th. The following week there was more snow, and looking back at the Plattekill conditions thread, that's when Coach Z did his comparison. So, Plattekill likely fared better during that storm cycle, but as noted by others, the overall numbers are likely exaggerated a lot.

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
Methodology and measurement points are an issue. I don't know how Belle and Platty measure, but Gore and Whiteface have very different methods.

The numbers don't affect me personally very much.  I'd suspect that that might be true for many here too. How often is anyone here surprised at what they find at a NY mountain?  It's rare for me to be surprised, unless something happens right before opening when I am in the car, like my day at McCauley.

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski