Adirondack Backcountry Ski Festival

adkmike
This post was updated on .
Date: 3/3/2012
Location: North Elba NY - In the heart of the Adirondack High Peaks
Parking: ADK Lodge - $5.00 for members, $10.00 for non
Mountain Skied: Wright Peak into Wright Wrong Gully
Conditions: Excellent
On Saturday, March 3rd I drove up to the Mountaineer in Keene Valley NY to participate in the 10th Adirondack Backcountry Ski Festival. The Skifest is a benefit event, with proceeds supporting the New York State Ski Education Foundation’s Nordic racing programs and the Adirondack Ski Touring Council, stewards of the Adirondack Park’s backcountry ski trail system, including the famous Jackrabbit Trail. I was one of six that had signed up for the advanced clinic that was guided by two local area guides.

The day started out foggy, windy and wet. As we skinned up (The Wright Peak Ski Trail) the rainy mist turned to snow and by the time we started our descent into "Wright Wrong Gully" the clouds parted and the sun come shining through.

Here are some pictures I took to document the day.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adirondack Backcountry Ski Festival

Face4Me
Looks like a great day.

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations on how to get started in back-country skiing? I've been a downhill skier for a very long time. About 5 or 6 years ago, I started skiing glades for the first time, and I've since skied the Slides at Whiteface on a number of occasions over the last few years.

At this point, I'm looking to "take the next step", and do some real back-country skiing ... probably not this year, at this point, but I think that next season will be the year I start, and it would be nice to get a head start.

Any help that anyone would be willing to offer will be greatly appreciated.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
check out Cloudsplitter Mountain Guides in the KV  http://www.cloudsplitterguides.com/

Cloudsplitter Mountain Guides
Jesse Williams
PO Box 248
Keene, NY 12942
Cell: (518) 569-8910
jesse@cloudsplitterguides.com

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Thanks.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Met Glenn Plake going into Lisa G's Monday evening.  I was going out back for a run and stopped to say hello.   Very cool guy.  The guy can rip and he is a slice of humble pie.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
tjf1967 wrote
Met Glenn Plake going into Lisa G's Monday evening.  I was going out back for a run and stopped to say hello.   Very cool guy.  The guy can rip and he is a slice of humble pie.
Sweet, hopefully he'll be around next week too...would love to party with that guy
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
How cool is that, sweet. Nice TR and pics, looks like fun.

Camp, your leaving your beloved Greek Peak? What gives? What's the latest on the knee? Are you going to strap it up and ski on it?
Reply | Threaded
|

adkmike
This post was updated on .
Here is a picture of Glen Plake skiing down Angel Slide on Wright Peak.....Picture courtesy of Drew Haas at http://adkbcski.com/

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
adkmike wrote
Here is a picture of Glen Plake skiing down Angel Slide on Wright Peak.....Picture courtesy of Drew Haas at http://adkbcski.com/

Was hoping that you could come up with a pic of GP. Thanks Drew and thanks AdkMike.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Man, the guy gets paid an appearance fee (I assume) and gets first tracks: what a job!  Seriously, I hope they bring him back next year so I can have him sign my VHS of Blizzard of Ahhhhhhhs.  There are some more Plake photos and a video from the weekend at Adirondack Backcountry Skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkbcski
Photographer gets first tracks!
Reply | Threaded
|

adkmike
adkbcski wrote