classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice for next pair of skis

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
Ummm....I did, and I think if he decides to check them out he might be able to figure that out.  Talk about poor posts.....

Really, to anyone but you I come across like someone trying to share information I think could be useful (even if it isn’t), whereas you just come off like an asshole.
Okay.

The guy who calls me an asshole is less of an asshole than the guy who didn't call anyone any names. Got it.

I'm sure Dom is very happy about where this discussion went.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Peace, love, and tranquility.  

All these recs are very helpful.  I am thinking more about the Head Monster 88 - someone in my clinic uses it and raves about it.  Will research the Kore and other recs here more and keep you guys posted.  

I appreciate you all taking the time to post.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
DomB wrote
Peace, love, and tranquility.  

All these recs are very helpful.  I am thinking more about the Head Monster 88 - someone in my clinic uses it and raves about it.  Will research the Kore and other recs here more and keep you guys posted.  

I appreciate you all taking the time to post.
I have those skis in a 178 and like them very much. They're awesome on groomed and ski bumps well. On the downside they're turny (so ya gotta be wanting to make turns) and a bit heavy. Solid, though. And they have no speed limit on groomers. I also have the Monster 98, in a 184, which I also like, but not as much as the 88s. In the 98, the weight becomes more of an issue, and it could definitely use more rocker because it sinks a bit too much for me in pow.

I like the Monster 88 for sure. It's a good pick.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Sean Pettit has been taking home big mountain trophies on these things since they’ve been out...
If I was a real asshole, I'd take issue with this, too. Doesn't Pettit ski on the Pettitor? Like he did here?

http://www.espn.com/xgames/video/13754332/real-ski-backcountry-2015-sean-pettit

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Ummm.....I never called you an asshole, MC.  There go your reading comprehension skills betraying you again!

It seems you may have missed it....but it’s not 2015 anymore.  You need me to come over and fix your clocks?  

Good luck with the search Dom!  Whatever it ends up being, I hope you find that perfect ski that gets you to the next level, both skill and fun-wise.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
You said he's been taking home big mountain trophies on those skis... What has he won? Let me know. This seems important to you.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
No, it’s not that important to me.  While Pettit’s current setup includes the Marksman, you are right, he hasn’t won anything the past couple of years.  It’s a different skier who has won recently on the Marksman but I can’t find it right now and I’m out of time for your games.  Only you could turn an innocent ski recommendation into a pissing match.  Call that what you will....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Blap.  Nortica enforcer 93. 2 sheets of metal 14 and a half degree turning radius. Great all mountain ski.  Not expensive I use it 90 percent of the time. It's not a great floater... Not great at speeds over 40 but very dependable and predictable. If you're over 5'8 go with the 185. It's a keeper
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Thanks TJ - very helpful data.  I was literally just thinking, 'but can [any of these wider skis] ski when there is boiler-plate ish conditions too.  I love the bumps and trees, but the bumps at Belle are usually icy (I still enjoy skiing them) and the trees are not often in play.  

Sounds like you use your Enforcer the vast majority of your time at WF.  What do you use the other 10 percent of time?

Fair to say the 93 would likely float better than the Powertrack 84 (which floats just fine)?  Maybe not as the PT has a ridiculously early rise in the tips (like at least 7-10 cm early).  

Best - D
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by tjf1967
And TJ will the Enforcer handle 5-7 inches of fresh snow?  Even in bad seasons, Belle gets those types of conditions (with refills and some depth) enough that I would care about it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The enforcer seems to be the ski lie of choice for just about anything. I demoed a pair of 100s in 185 length, found the held well on hardpack, skied much shorter than a 185, turned well. I thought that even with the rocker the were too long for me in tight trees
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
The enforcer is a great ski. I have a good buddy that rides them. If you are considering them then I strongly suggest checking out the masterblaster. Here's a great write up that speaks to performance in pow, groomers and bumps has some comparisons to the enforcers and the bonafide.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2016-2017-j-skis-masterblaster

You could support a big ski company or you could get a limited edition ski from the father of twin tips designed in VT and built in Quebec.

Check the user reviews too. Out of 88 reviews 87 five stars and 1 four star:

https://jskis.com/products/american-sender

I'm a big guy and I ride the 181. I would have gone with the 187 but I like the shorter length for the tight trees at Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

TrailsEnd ChazyLake
In reply to this post by DomB
Hi, I just came back from a trip to BC and the airlines destroyed one of my ski's so smack dab in the middle of the season I was thrust into the "Search",,,,ugh!!! Oh well, long story short.  Quit looking, go to J Ski's and buy the "Masterblaster"! E-mail them with any questions you may have, guarantee of 3 days skiing them,if you don't like them (You will Love them), take bindings off and return them for 100% credit.  Read the reviews. Everyone is raging about them.  I have about 8 days on mine. Best all around ski I have ever been on.  FUN, FUN, FUN, with rock solid edge grip on FIRM snow and super stable, super playful in crud in bumps with the rocker/camber/rocker and tail flair making the tail release easily in crud and tight bumps in trees. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Check out the site, read the reviews, read the history of Jason and the company. Buy with confidence, support a local. He's a NY State kid, graduated from UB and he's a great success story. The Masterblaster is a Real Ski!!!!  https://jskis.com/collections/masterblaster
"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport." Fridtjof Nansen

TrailsEnd ChazyLake
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by DomB
They are my powder ski right now. You have to go faster to plane off but they work ok.i have a great time on them. I use a traditional camber ski on the days when things are flat and firm. Edt 83 3 degree edge I keep sharp. I have a pair of Billy goats as my powder skis but I have to get the bindings remounted. They center mounted them and I really really don't like it.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Thanks, TJ.  Went with Masterblasters.  Was very happy (see the masterblaster threat if in interested in the details).  Eats up firm groomers and likes to play in the bumps.