Advice for next pair of skis

55 messages Options
1234 ... 6
DomB DomB
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Advice for next pair of skis

Hey everyone, I am back looking for more advice.  

The long and short of it is I need some guidance on new skis, but my current skis are so far behind and my ski equipment knowledge base so shallow that I don't know what would be a good fit for me that I could also continue to grow into.  (I realize that anything I get will probably be light years beyond what I am using now; and I am taking care of getting a hopefully very good boot fitting by early season).  

In terms of skiing and use, I would characterize myself as a level 7 skier, comfortable on black terrain and beginning to do bumps and looking to get into the trees.  So, I'd like a ski that I could grow into.  I'm about 172-174 cm (5'8-5/9) and 200 lbs.  A Gore PSIA Level III instructor that I did a clinic with last year suggested something 80-88mm underfoot and in the 168-172cm range, and a low-end expert ski that I could grow into.  I'd like a ski that I could use on the frontside and in bumps and in the trees, though in the beginning I am sure the ratio would be 80-20 on that split.

I went to my local ski shop and talked to the buyer, and he pointed me to the Dynastar Powertrack 84.  I have read the reviews, and it seems like this could be a good ski for me to go to.  What do you guys think?  Any skis that are competitors to these skis that would fit the bill?  Any thoughts on where you can demo Dynastar's (my local shop hasn't put out a demo list yet and they may not make it on to it).  I am on Long Island (don't hold it against me).  Any info on Dynastar northeast demo days?  (And thanks in advance).

My game plan is to keep my very old skis (K2 Fours 160 cm that are 60-something under foot) for this season and do demo rentals, or rent skis for the season, then either buy used or new skis after the season.  Before the season starts, I am going to a highly recommended boot fitter near Hunter.  My home mountain for the next few years will be somewhere in the Poconos (Shawnee this year) due to kids' ages and a free place to stay overnight, but we'll be taking side trips, including a trip to Whiteface and Gore this year.  

PS - the clinic, and the instructor were great - very happy to recommend either.  

ml242 ml242
Reply |

Re: Advice for next pair of skis

you could probably go into any shop right now and find a pair of last seasons that would be a big upgrade and inline with what you want. There are so many awesome skis out there, no one has time to try them all. I'd suggest something with some tip-rocker though. Maybe a cham 87 or dps cassiar 85 if you wanted to spend a little more coin, but that general shape. If you're taking lessons and really working to improve and getting a lot of days in, there's no reason you couldn't be on a longer ski next year anyway. YMMV.
Petronio Petronio
Reply |

In reply to this post by DomB
When I needed to upgrade a couple of years ago to match my progression to high intermediate, I picked up a pair of Head Rev 85 Pros -- 177 or 183 I think.  I'm 5'8" and they are just taller than me.  Good at speed, easy to turn, gripping edges.  I generally stick to groomed runs but they are good in crud.  Definitely upped my game.  Plus I liked the retro Soviet design elements.

ThAt being said, you could pick up a pair of used skiis circa 2012 or 2013 and then demo some high end stuff later in the season.  Any of the larger hills will have good demo inventory.

Petronio
DomB DomB
Reply |

In reply to this post by ml242
Thanks, ML.  I see you're in the city.  I lived in Brooklyn for eight years until recently.

One follow up question - what's the difference between the Cham 87 and the Powertrack 84?  They look pretty similar.  Is the Cham made of better material, or have other advantages?  Thanks in advance.  Sounds like the Cham costs more?
ml242 ml242
Reply |

looks like the powertrack has a rocker tail, so it won't lock in to the turn quite as much and ski looser. The cham is more traditional, with a huge shovel and tip rocker for turn initiation. I bet they ski pretty similarly in the end, neither have metal.

How about $200 shipped on last years?

http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/dynastar-cham-87.aspx
DomB DomB
Reply |

Thanks ML- very useful.  The price sounds really good.  What is the effect of metal in the ski (or absence)?

At least two more questions-1-what bindings would you recommend for these?  If I buy them separate, how do I get them mounted. (I could bring the skis and binding to the boot fitter).  I am assuming the cost of mounting would be under 50.  

Thanks again - I really appreciate your patience and sharing knowledge.  

Sounds like the Cham would be better.  Is 87 too wide for crusty days?  Guessing not with changes in tech but while I am asking, might as well not hold back!
K man K man
Reply |

http://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packages/k2-amp-rictor-82xti-skis-mxc-12-bindings.aspx#image=78945/366447/clone.jpg

Here's another option, and it comes with bindings.  If you give evo the length of your boot sole they will mount them too.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
DomB DomB
Reply |

ML, Petronio, and Kman - thanks for the input. I am planning to go with the Chams that ML pointed me to with a Salomon STH2 13 binding in the 90 mm size (2015 on sale for 142).  

I'll let you know how it goes . . . .  
Z Z
Reply |

I used to be a Pro Rep for Dynastar and they are great for lighter skiers but not bigger guys.  They use lots of light weight materials in thier skis and I found they don't last long for a 200 lbs skier.

Agree with the width based on your description.

Try a Volkl RTM 84 UVO.  You want a ski with a metal and wood construction.  Buy this seasons version not last.  This years gas camber under foot while years does not.

http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/volkl-rtm-84-2016

There is going to be a Demo day at Whiteface on Dec 5 that Volkl will be at.   I highly recommend trying before you buy especially since you are not familiar with the newer gear.  A 90 width for someone skiing on older skis is not likely to be your fav.  I will help there helping Volkl out and could take a run or two with you.

Once you get your new gear take a lesson to get the most out of it.

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
DomB DomB
Reply |

Coach - thanks for the advice.  I am not sure what is the right call, but after reading your post, I cancelled my order.  And thanks for the offer of a few runs!

I know whatever I get will be a big step up, but I don't think I have the budget for the volki s this year (including in light of other ski expenditures).  I think I am going to try to demo, looking for something that has been out more than a season but the WF demo will probably be too much of a haul for me.  It looks like Hunter has a demo weekend on 12-12/13.  

Any suggestions on something sturdier than the Cham 87 that has been out?  Back to the Powertrack 84?  Other makes/brands?
1234 ... 6