classic Classic
28 messages Options
Reply |  

Re: Aspen to buy Interwest

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
raisingarizona wrote
If there isn't any plans for a rotating titty bar I don't give a damn about Innerwest or Fail!
I think your mistake is thinking that the attractiveness of the women in some of these ski towns is anywhere near the attractiveness of women in Arizona. There are some hotties in ski towns, sure, but in my experience going to strip clubs in the sticks, strip club gigs don't usually draw those girls.

Import. Import. Import! Yeah, AZ is awesome in that department.

We used to stop every now and then at this topless bar in Rock Springs Wyoming for a beverage or two. I'm so happy that it was a very, VERY dark bar inside.

Reply |  

Milo Maltbie
raisingarizona wrote
Import. Import. Import! Yeah, AZ is awesome in that department.
AZ is the Florida of the West. It's where old people go to die.

mm

Reply |  

raisingarizona
Arizona does have a large population of retirees no doubt but beyond that the similarities pretty much end.

Reply |  

Coach Z
You would think that Powdr would be less likely to sell to Vail given they got screwed on Park City by them.  Aspen burning Powdr and Snowbird with it makes more sense.

I've said and I hold to it that there would be 3 power players.  I didn't see Aspen coming but I hold to it  that Boyne will be one of the survivors.  I'd look for them to do some buying really soon.  

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Reply |  

marznc
Coach Z wrote
I've said and I hold to it that there would be 3 power players.  I didn't see Aspen coming but I hold to it  that Boyne will be one of the survivors.  I'd look for them to do some buying really soon.
Have you seen that John Kircher has become the sole owner of Crystal Mountain in WA?  The other three mountains owned by Boyne are Big Sky, plus Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands in Michigan.  The other Boyne mountains are long term lease arrangements.

https://crystalmountainresort.com/blog-winter/john-kircher-acquires-crystal-mountain/

As I remember, Boyne wanted to buy Solitude but couldn't come up with the financing.  So Deer Valley got Solitude instead.

Reply |  

Coach Z
I saw that as freeing up cash to buy something
Boyne is doing a really good job with Sunday River. I thought it was really well run.

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Reply |  

marznc
Coach Z wrote
I saw that as freeing up cash to buy something
Boyne is doing a really good job with Sunday River. I thought it was really well run.
Hmm, reading what John Kircher said in the blog entry and other articles it seemed that he is happy to change his focus to just one mountain.  He's been living there for 20 years.  It was a share swap.  Although haven't seen what's going to happen for the job of being charge of Boyne West operations.  Summer plans call for spending $5 million in capital improvements.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/local-business/crystal-mountain-ski-resort-bought-by-longtime-manager/

* * * excerpt
Kircher, 59, for years oversaw the western operations of Boyne, which spanned Washington, Utah and British Columbia. It was he who led the purchase in 1997 of the Crystal Mountain ski area from a group of 850 shareholders.

But in late March he swapped out his shares in Boyne for complete ownership of the resort, where he has lived for two decades.

“I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time,” Kircher said in an interview. “You can get 100 percent of all the fun of being in the ski business from one place rather than multiple resorts. So I’m kind of scaling back, concentrating on one place I really enjoy.”

A website about future development plans was rolled out last year for Big Sky called "Big Sky 2025."  Plans called for spending $150 million in the next decade.

http://bigsky2025.com

Agree that Boyne does a good job running the places they lease.  Have been to Sunday River and Brighton for a few days here and there.

Reply |  

Coach Z
http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/06/07/lawsuit-challenges-legality-of-aspen-skiing-co-ksl-purchase-of-intrawest/

This could result in either Aspen paying more for Intrawest or even a bidding war between Aspen and Vail for it.