BBQ joint recommendations

16 messages Options
Brownski Brownski
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

BBQ joint recommendations

Instead of continuing to post my BBQ discoveries in fun things I thought I'd start a dedicated thread. I'm hoping the folks that are locals upstate will clue me in as to where to find good brisket and pulled pork near some good skiing (like Roxbury maybe).
Anyway, my first endorsement is going to Big Daddy's on 9W in Haverstraw. It's a little off the beaten path but doable as a side trip if you're passing through Rockland County via the Palisades Parkway...

In addition to good food, they feature a very cool, family atmosphere.

I've had their food four or five times now and I can say it is really really good. Some of the hipster-ish BBQ places that are popping up don't even make collard greens but these guys do and they're pretty tasty.

MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Re: BBQ joint recommendations

Chicken: Brook's
Pork: Pig Pit, Dinosaur, Barnstormer
Brisket: Hickory

Nothing up north, unfortunately. Tail O' The pup isn't great and I find Smoke Signals' sauce to be too sweet. Haven't tried the Redneck place yet.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
I assume you have been to Baily's in Orangeburg ..I don't eat meat (red or the other white meat )  but my friends swear by it...
I worked in Haverstraw for 10 yrs..Still gives me the chills thinking about it..
"Peace and Love"
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

I've eaten Baileys food many, many times and  I'm a fan but they've become so popular, I think their quality is slipping, at least for takeout (which is how I usually get it). Matt, where is redneck? I searched it and the only place that came up is in cooperstown.
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

My favorite BBQ joint is the Hill Country located in Manhattan on 26th Street between Broadway and 6th Ave.  I try to go there just about every time I'm in the city.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Thanks SnoI don't get down that way too much but I'm gonna pass that on to a coworker (and meat fanatic) who does
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

Redneck bistro is a restaurant in the pines inn. Better than smoke signals but smoke signals is pretty good to me.
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
Holy Smokes in Mahopac was pretty good. Sorry, it's not near a ski hill. There's one in Croton too.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

I'm gonna check out Holy Smokes Johny. Work puts me somewhat near there once in a while.Thanks
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

Kinda silly talking about barbeque in the northeast, but, I'll chime in with a local place that's actually pretty good. For Connecticut. The Wire Mill, Georgetown.

Best I've had in my drives across America the past few years was Pappy's in St. Louis, and a little place on Beale Street in Memphis I forgot the name of, but, just look for the big pink neon pig.
funny like a clown