classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bar Harbor Maine

campgottagopee
Any tips? Must hit restaurants or bars?

We're heading up there at the end of this month ---- staying at the Harborside Hotel so we'll be right where the action is. We plan on hiking Arcadia, hitting Cadillac Mtn, and either a lobster boat or whale boat ride, so those bases are covered.

Any lintel is appreciated  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bar Harbor Maine

Snowballs
Banned User
campgottagopee wrote
Sure. Drop the L.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Snowballs wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Sure. Drop the L.  
WAIT! I thought SJ was the internet grammar/spelling police
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I think it's pronounced Bah Hahbah.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Bring a bike.

Lots of great gravel roads that are better enjoyed on two wheels.

Take route 1 home instead of the highway. Beautiful coastal drive. Stop at Red's in Wiscasset for the best Lobster Roll (1 pound of Lobster in each roll with Kate's butter).
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
I think it's pronounced Bah Hahbah.
That's funny RA ! I was up there awhile ago and met a talkative ol timer who's Maine brogue was soooooooo bad it was....    "What the hell did you say ? "  

His son said sometimes his mom summons him over to translate what pops is saying to her.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Good tip one Route 1. We're planning on taking that on the way up and back.We're in no hurry so we plan to enjoy all the scenery.
I'll be sure and look into Red's  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
It's a wonderful spot. Indeed - take a bike (not a road bike). Go into the park early in the AM as parking is crazy and usually filled by 10am. Utilize the bus system. Hike the coastline trail. I find all the carriage  road bridges very interesting. We stay down in Seal Harbour as it's quiet down there and there is a little beach.

Go now, in a few years it will all be under water now that we have pulled out of the Paris Climate accord
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
PAGING SKI RAY
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Take a plane the ride takes forever. Pretty domestic thing to do.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
tjf1967 wrote
Take a plane the ride takes forever. Pretty domestic thing to do.
It is a LONG drive. We will stop at LL bean, find an interesting local restaurant for lunch, a favorite stop was pie in the sky where we would pick up pies in both directions but I think the are closed now.

However the last time me & the better half said we might just take a plane - did I say, it's a long drive.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
From the Daks probably the best way to go is down thru NH to Portsmouth then up 95.  Portsmouth is a really cool town to stay for a day.  

Stop for Lobster rolls and outlet shopping in Kittery
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I looked into flights, they are stoooopid money and don't really save any time. Toss in a rental and it's beyond stooopid. We'll just load up my V8 truck and burn some carbon baby!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Z
We Sometimes vary THAT route  use 89 to Concord over RT 4 to Portsmouth the back way then up Maine pike , quick , very scenic and and ssometimes just a nice sightseeing alternative .

MAine rocks !! You will have fun regardless of where you go in Maine , its been an annual for us since 1980
Early Summer before the masses to the Cape , after Labor day to Maine , gotta dip my feet in the Ocean or life ain't worth living .

And Camper  beaucoup LOBSTA bruh , on the way home stop at "the Maine Diner " for lunch or dinner near Kennebunkport but on rt 1  .

Why ?? Cuz by then you will be up to your eyebrows with lobsta , And looking for a change and the MDhas the freaking BEST  ever homemade Chicken Pot Pie , dude it is out of this world , if you like that kinda thing . The other menu items are pretty damngood too but DAT CPP is overthe top
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Right on Warp

I've been to Maine twice before. Once in 1980 we took a family trip, then in 89 I went with a bunch of my house mates from VT. My girlfriend has never been so we're def looking forward to it.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
No they really don't.  My sister lives in Bangor and I told her I was never driving up here again...that was like 15 years ago. My buddy had a plane and used to fly me over from LP.   That highway across the top or the US would change an 8 hour drive to 4.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
If I could fly and get there quicker I'd pay the freight, but to get there in the same amount of time I can't justify it. We'll just load up a cooler and cruise the coast one sip at a time.

Does your buddy still have that plane??? He cold pick us up!
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by tjf1967
If you're looking for some rock scrambling, iron ladder climbing type hikes I recall the Ladder Trail and Beehive being pretty fun. The former - I believe - can connect to a trail to head up to summit of Caddy Mountain...kind of funny to come hiking up to the top where all the bus and carloads of tourists are looking out. Take lots of water. Both Ladder and Beehive - and some of the other trails in Acadia - can have some relatively exposed areas that will freak out someone with a fear of heights so be aware.

This looks like a nice guide:

http://www.citrusmilo.com/acadiaguide/
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote
  Both Ladder and Beehive - and some of the other trails in Acadia - can have some relatively exposed areas that will freak out someone with a fear of heights so be aware.

Good to know! My girl is petrified of heights. When we drove up Memorial Hwy on WF she shit her britches ---- wasn't cool, I don't want to have to talk her down like that get ever!

Thanks for the link. That will be helpful
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
Good to know! My girl is petrified of heights. When we drove up Memorial Hwy on WF she shit her britches ---- wasn't cool, I don't want to have to talk her down like that get ever!

Thanks for the link. That will be helpful
Yeah - do not even think about those hikes then...that guide has a bunch of recommended hikes. The "Iron Rung" hikes are listed at the bottom - not for you with your girl. I remember we took our kids up Precipice...they were like 8 and 9 maybe. i was a bit worried when we started hitting the exposed vertical areas but they scrambled up them without blinking...it was my wife who kept looking down in worry!

Have a fun trip. Love that place, it's just so dang far to get to.