classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Belleayre, NY: 4/7/18

Zobi1
This post was updated on .
Powder? April? New York? .... crazy.  So, first of all, I've never-ever skied powder in my 6 years skiing-life. So, when I showed up at Bell at 8:15AM thinking they had gotten 2" but found somewhere between 9"-11" I was dumbfounded. I was really wishing I had my 94's instead of my 84's ...then again, having never skied powder, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

I went up on the gondola around 8:30 to Peekamoose.  A patrol dude was there and absolutely giddy. The first hour all you heard all over the mountain was squeals of joy as most people were wiping out and landing soft. I skied to Tomahawk and stayed right and skied on Dot Nebel a bunch of times just trying to get some feel for the snow and how to ski it. I think there were 2 tracks in the snow when I got there.  The patrol dude told me to try to sit back a little on the skis versus being out over them, and smaller turns to get that bounce or piston motion.  I got some hang of it, though the 10" islands of snow were intimidating eventually as the runs got more and more tracks.  I was burnt by 11, but what a day!

I had a great time just because it was soooo different than anything I had ever experienced.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Belleayre, NY: 4/7/18

Harvey
Administrator
AWESOME! Nice photos and stoke.

(Hope it's ok that I changed the date!)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Zobi1
absolutely!  thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The date you had - 1/7/59 - was the day before I was born.

Any idea where that came from?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Lateski
In reply to this post by Zobi1
Some of those “squeals” were probably from my daughter and me, we were on our snow boards yesterday.  The conditions on the upper mountain were insane.  Neither of us had ever boarded on powder, it took a run or two to figure out to put most of the weight on the back foot and then basically surf the powder!  Our legs were toast by 1:00pm.  This ranks as one of the best days we’ve ever had at Belleayre, great conditions and zero lines.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Great report! Looks like a perfect day- Wish I could of gotten out this weekend.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Winter came back and surprised us all and perhaps there might be more to come.. Who knows!

Great report, we were giddy in VT as well this weekend.
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
I wonder how long Killington will be open.  They must have some serious snow stored.

I 'traded' a day off without my family skiing tomorrow (bad dad alert) for not trying to get my wife to agree to Memorial Day skiing.  If I were a betting man, I would wager on skiing there then. . . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Brings tears to my eyes....  Planned to enjoy all of this and then an unforeseen injury ended my ski season.  Good for you - right time, right place!!!