Beta Mt Biking program for kids / teens?

classic Classic
21 messages Options
Z
Reply |  

Beta Mt Biking program for kids / teens?

Z
Scotty of the other Beta folks on here is there any Beta program that would be a group ride and some guidance for the local kids / teens?  SL has a program at Dewey for kids but my son is now going to be in HS so he is too old for it plus its a shlep to get over there.

I would think that a teen program for Beta would be a pretty good idea.  Keep teens busy with something productive / constructive and fun and Beta gains access to some labor for trail work and future members.  Fits right into what is going on bike wise in Wilmington.  

I'm not a good enough rider and my work schedule doesn't fit this but if someone is willing to act as a coach / mentor my wife and I could help with the organization of a program like this.

Anyone interested in getting this going?  It would be great to try to get the word out to the schools before classes end.

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Reply |  

Re: Beta Mt Biking program for kids / teens?

MC2 5678F589
http://www.newyorkmtb.org

^ I talked to someone who coaches a high school mountain bike race team that's associated with this organization. They're trying to expand. I'd start there.

Z
Reply |  

Z
that looks pretty good but those races are far away and there would be little to no funding in the schools for a sport like this.  Probably would not fly in our schools given the funding issues and lack of support for non traditional sports on our district.

I'm not sure kids want to race bikes - just riding them for fun is what I am shooting for here.  You need to create awareness, participation and make it fun then maybe racing happens later.

I'm thinking that this is a natural for Beta as an already established local grass roots org to expand and grow their sport.

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Reply |  

MC2 5678F589
I'm not sure kids want to race skis, just riding them for fun seems like it'd be better. You need to create awareness, participation and make it fun. But yet, your son races. And your son is a better skier because he races and trains.

I'm not saying that the school will pick it up as a sport. I'm saying a motivated person could get pay-to-play grass roots mountain biking teams going at LP, Saranac, etc.

But I was only trying to help. If you don't like the idea, fine. Sounds like you don't want to do much organizing, you just want BETA to look into this kind of thing for you. Why didn't you just say that in the beginning? EDIT: I guess you did. "I don't have any time, but someone else follow through on this idea I have".....   CoachLoco strikes again.

Reply |  

JasonWx
this seems to be a growing sport in Northern NJ..
I have a friend in the Bay area that coaches a local team ...Unfortunately it's a rich kids sport

http://www.newjerseymtb.org/teams/

"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply |  

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I'm not sure kids want to race skis, just riding them for fun seems like it'd be better. You need to create awareness, participation and make it fun. But yet, your son races. And your son is a better skier because he races and trains.

I'm not saying that the school will pick it up as a sport. I'm saying a motivated person could get pay-to-play grass roots mountain biking teams going at LP, Saranac, etc.

But I was only trying to help. If you don't like the idea, fine. Sounds like you don't want to do much organizing, you just want BETA to look into this kind of thing for you. Why didn't you just say that in the beginning? EDIT: I guess you did. "I don't have any time, but someone else follow through on this idea I have".....   CoachLoco strikes again.
Matt
Because i travel for work and honestly am not that great of a Mt biker I can't be the coach / mentor.  I did offer my and my wife's time to help organize it as part of Beta which we are paying members.  My take is this is something Beta would be better at than a couple parents trying to get it started on its own.  You need to chill out.

I don't need another travel and cost intensive racing sport for my kid though

Reply |  

MC2 5678F589
Not sure what you're even looking for anymore. You need a chaperone for your kid to ride BETA trails? Organization? Other kids? Maybe just tell him to go ride the trails with his buddies?

And you're not into doing anything yourself, but you're volunteering your wife's time and energy?

I'm just trying to help, bud, but it seems like you haven't really thought this through?

Reply |  

Snowballs
Banned
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
 You need to chill out.
Si, Senor Z, I think Matt is Muy Critico 2 !  

Z
Reply |  

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Matt do you have a reading comprehension problem?  I said my and my wife's time and effort.  We plural are willing to put some time and effort into this.

Personally I like riding by myself.  My kid likes to ride but for a teen it's much more fun riding with others.  You might not understand this but he goes to AuSable Valley where a lot of kids can't afford a decent bike and we live in a remote and very rural area so getting kids together takes some doing.  The school district for one high school stretches out over 600 square miles.

Reply |  

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
this seems to be a growing sport in Northern NJ..
I have a friend in the Bay area that coaches a local team ...Unfortunately it's a rich kids sport

http://www.newjerseymtb.org/teams/
No kidding! How cool. I never new HS mtb teams were a thing. I would've done that in a heartbeat. For sure it costs some coin which is too bad.