Beware: People Suck...at least some of ‘em!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Beware: People Suck...at least some of ‘em!

JTG4eva!
Lock your shit up, or separate your skis and poles at Whiteface!

For the third time, and second time in the last three trips this year, we had a pair of poles go missing today.  A few weeks ago my daughter’s poles were taken, a pair of rental poles left in their place.  Maybe it was an honest mistake?

Today at 3:00 someone just walked off with my son’s poles.  They were unique poles, nice.  No mistaking this one, some asshole just stole them.

So, beware, there are shitty people out there stealing stuff.  Yeah, I know, no duh.

Yes, I realize we have nobody to blame but ourselves.  I should be harping on my kids to at least separate their skis and poles.  I should have known better, and lesson learned.

But, a word of warning for others going to Whiteface.

Maybe we can use this thread to warn others if you see this happening elsewhere.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Beware: People Suck...at least some of ‘em!

scrundy
How old is your kid? Kids being kids do stupid things. Could be some little shit just grabbed them because he or she see’s other kids with them or thought they were theirs. Caulk it up could be worse.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I caught a kid that tried to walk away with my skis a few years back. He played it off like it was a mistake but that was bullshit.

I try to put my gear where it’s pretty visible and I never leave it for long.

Thieves suck.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by scrundy
scrundy wrote
How old is your kid?
My son is 18.  These were quality poles.  Someone straight up stole them.  Our fault for not keeping them safe.  You’d like the world to be a better place, or at least the skiing community, but there are shitty people out there....and we should have acted accordingly.

Yes, poles can be replaced.  Chalk it up to lesson learned.  My son will separate his skis/poles from now on.  Still stinks.  I hope karma gets the fucker.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That blows. My nephew had his board stolen at mountain Creek a few years ago. Now he locks it up every time which is a giant pain in the ass
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
It won't bring your poles back but report it to the mountain if you get a moment.  If it starts becoming a problem maybe they'll implement a free or cheap ski check that many other mountains are providing these days.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
For the third time, and second time in the last three trips this year, we had a pair of poles go missing today.  A few weeks ago my daughter’s poles were taken, a pair of rental poles left in their place.  Maybe it was an honest mistake?
One time when I was at MRG, I caught someone walking off with my poles. I ski with telescoping "touring" type poles which are fairly rare at ski areas (even MRG) which I figured would make them fairly distinct in the racks. You would also think gear confusion wouldn't happen at a place like MRG.

Turns out, this was a fairly new skier with all rental gear. They had no idea how much variation there is between poles. She just knew that her rental skis had markings on them and grabbed the poles near her skis. Totally an honest mistake. And a good lesson for me that from a beginner's perspective, a pole is a pole.

If I had not been getting my gear at that moment, I also would have lost my poles to a renter. I think we just need to be more careful about pole placement and not assume that everyone knows the difference between poles. Looping straps over ski tips or under the peg your skis are resting against might help.

I would be a little more suspicious of lifted skis rather than poles. I think 186cm fat boards without rental marks are a little more conspicuous compared to short and thin rental skis that have extensive rental marks.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I hear ya.  That’s what I think happened with the last two pairs we lost here, there were rental poles where ours had been, I chalked it up to idiots.  Of course, neither of those pairs got turned into the rental center or guest services, so there’s that.

This time, no.  They were Leki Spitfire Vario S poles.  The color scheme and setup on these there’s no way it was confusion.  No renter is mixing those up at 3:00.  With trigger s and no straps they wouldn’t have even been able to use them, either.  If they had mixed them up honestly they would have turned them in.

This time around some dirtbag saw some pretty cool shit and swiped them.

Ultimately our fault for not protecting our nice shit, $100 lesson learned.

$114 with the rentals for today, actually.  I guess the mountain is here to make money....but we are here all the time, they know me, and my son is a pass holder.  Woulda been nice if they gave us a pair of loaners for the day, but eh.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
 Looping straps over ski tips or under the peg your skis are resting against might help.
This is what I do if they are in a rack.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
I  loop 'em over the tips and lock 'em with a small cable lock , never had an issue over the years .
Once at Tremblant a friend of mine and his wife had their brand new Silverado  PU stolen from the lots in the village .
It was a car theft ring out of Montreal. Effers !!!!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
riverc0il wrote
 Looping straps over ski tips or under the peg your skis are resting against might help.
This is what I do if they are in a rack.
Does anybody not do this? Common sense, right?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nothing worse than a thief

For me this isn't an issue. I drive my side x side to the hill, park, get out, walk a few steps the click into my binders. When I'm done I go back to my house to change before heading to the bar.