classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bobcat and Plattekill, NY 03/24/13

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Given the fresh snow from earlier in the week and the mid-winter temps since then, I figured that conditions would still be good this weekend, so Jason (who'd had a great day at Hunter on Friday) and I decided to head up to Plattekill for a few hours of turns. But along the way, I convinced him to join me on a quick reconnaissance mission to the one that got away in the Catskills ski scene: Bobcat.

Over the years, I've received a number of e-mails from people who'd stumbled upon the feature article I posted in 2004 and wanted to share their memories about a ski area that continued to mean a lot to them. I hadn't been back to Bobcat since its final weekend of operations exactly eight years ago, so I decided that it was time for me to see what the hill now looks like and, if there was enough snow, to bootpack up the 1,050 vertical feet and do a run for old time's sake. The old sign is still there, albeit a bit more faded.

Part of Bobcat's allure is the farm-heavy ambiance that surrounds it:

Visiting a lost ski area, particularly one that you'd skied before, is always a sad exercise -- you can practically feel the ski ghosts walking by you on their way to lodge schlepping 205 mm skis and rear-entry boots. Trails are clearly beginning to grow in, but seemed from a distance to be skiable:

Oddly enough, the deck that looks out over the hill was rebuilt a couple years ago; however, it appears that no one got around to staining it:

Several vintage Tucker Sno Cats are still there, waiting to be mobilized:

We quickly geared up at the car. I finished first and started skating uphill when a man came out of a mobile home about 75 yards away and asked if we'd noticed the Posted signs. "Which signs?" I asked disingenuously. "Those yellow ones right behind you," he replied:

He mentioned that denying skiers the chance to earn their turns was the most unpleasant part of caretaking the property and apologized for being the bearer of bad tidings. He told us that he grew up skiing Bobcat from a young age and understood why people wanted to ski it again; however, a few years earlier, a woman drove an ATV to the top of the mountain, crashed and broke her leg, and needed a Medevac off the summit, so the property owners didn't want to deal with additional legal exposure.

We got back in the car and continued on to Plattekill about 20 minutes away. Jason had predicted that we'd be looking at nice early-spring conditions, about 40 degrees and sunny, but it was cloudy and in the mid-20s at our 9:30 arrival and stayed that way until early afternoon. Still, conditions were quite good: grippy hardpack on the groomers with nice soft ungroomed snow alongside. The trees felt a bit too variable for our taste, so we stuck to the cut trails and had a great time:

In what appeared to be an odd thing to do at the end of March, employees were dragging snowmaking hoses downhill the entire day.

Finally, around 1 pm, the sun came out, which warmed things up a bit, so Jason's forecast panned out:

In short, another fine day at Plattekill. Props to Laszlo and his team for the pleasant conditions. Here's a testimonial from a recent convert that's on display in the lower office:

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bobcat and Plattekill, NY 03/24/13

DrSkimeister
I made my annual trek to Platty today. Frozen, but movable snow in the morning. Based on the forecast, I was expecting it to soften up sooner than it actually did, but still no complaints. Run of the day was Blockbuster. And I'm still savoring the roast pork sandwich I had for lunch upstairs.
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I came home just dying to see a Platty TR. Thank you, James. bummer that you couldn't get Bobcat in as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
This could legally be considered entrapment.  James could get an expert witness to testify to his state of mind.

GREAT TR.  A Classic.

Also a reminder how important it is to ski Plattekill.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
In reply to this post by ml242
Friday was good.  The usual spots in the woods skiing great. Had the place to our selves ..mogul junky and myself
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Good time were had at Platt on Sunday..Platt was a nice change of pace from Hunter's high speed boulevards on Friday.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by scottski63
Saturday:

Sunday:

James, you should have ventured in....the woods were skiing great yesterday.  
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
looks like everyone had great days at Platty. this year things have gotten noticeably better and hey who knows maybe todays storm will drop some more Goodness on Platty ;)
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by DrSkimeister
Yo Doc !!!!!!!  Welcome to Harveys, missed ya man !

warp
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
James, you should have ventured in....the woods were skiing great yesterday.
It was my first day on a pair of new boots and they needed some adjustments -- got 'em fixed on the way home, so no excuses next time.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
James you can have at the woods next time, I'll watch, I totally suck at tree skiing...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by DrSkimeister
DrSkimeister wrote
I made my annual trek to Platty today. Frozen, but movable snow in the morning. Based on the forecast, I was expecting it to soften up sooner than it actually did, but still no complaints. Run of the day was Blockbuster. And I'm still savoring the roast pork sandwich I had for lunch upstairs.
DOC, is that you????

As Warp said, welcome!!!!!

Nice to have you around---we need your rock_N_roll
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
In reply to this post by warp daddy
Thanks, Warp. Hope all's well by you.
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
DrSkimeister wrote
DOC, is that you????

Hey Camp...how's dings?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
DrSkimeister wrote
campgottagopee wrote
DrSkimeister wrote
DOC, is that you????

Hey Camp...how's dings?
Friggin great. And you? Thought you fell off the face of the webz---glad your back in action

Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
campgottagopee wrote
DrSkimeister wrote
campgottagopee wrote
DrSkimeister wrote
DOC, is that you????

All well here.

Been doing the nomad skier thing again. Lots of time up at Sugarbush this season...bought several of their discounted 4 packs. Also been to Gore, Mt Snow and the pimple hills here in NJ area. Much better season than last year.

Hope your dogs are behaving.

Hey Camp...how's dings?
Friggin great. And you? Thought you fell off the face of the webz---glad your back in action
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
AH yes Campy with the GOOD  Doc back in da game......All is Well with the world

OK doc start da music thread NOW.  3 ...2...1.... GO Doc