Burlington

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Burlington

campgottagopee
So my lady and I are heading to Lake Champlain tomorrow. I haven't been to Burlington since 1989 so I know a lot has changed. What restaurants/bars  are must hit there???  The Chicken Bone was one of my fav's but I see it's closed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Burlington

MC2 5678F589
I was drinking in Burlington once and someone suggested we go to the other place, and I was like: "what place is that?" and it turned out that "The Other Place" was the name of the bar. Bit of a dive, but I bet you'd enjoy it.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
LOL -- that's funny. Years ago we had a bar named Just Another Bar, same guy owned Just Another Just Another Bar. They were on the same street about 8 buildings apart.

I looked at that "place" on Yelp and thought I would like it. Dive bars are my jam
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
For lunch I’d suggest American Flatbread on St Paul St or the Farmhouse

It’s worth having a drink at Citizen Cider as well.

For a nice dinner with your lady Trattoria Delia also on St Paul St is top notch and a reservation is probably a good idea

Enjoy it’s a great town
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Burlington has gone way upscale since 1989!

Tons of food and beer options.

Way more corporate entities on Church Street and fewer hippies selling their wares.

http://www.pascolovt.com/

^great Italian if you’re into that sort of thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by Z
Haha....Z......I thought Burlington was an opioid nightmare hellscape!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by witch hobble
NO WAY!! Tell me the hotdog cart is gone from Church St
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Z
Thanks Z
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
The Waterworks in Winooski used to be great. I know it's under knew ownership because the guy who used to own it is from my home town. The structure itself is worth going there imo. Any intel on the food? Anyone been?

http://www.waterworksvt.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
El cortijo

Oh wait, its a mexican joint...

http://www.cortijovt.com
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
If you notice, Z, Scotty and I all recommended restaurants from the same “restaurant group”.  Not that that is bad....just funny. You can link from one to the next on their web pages.

A little different than ‘89.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
El cortijo

Oh wait, its a mexican joint...

http://www.cortijovt.com
LOL

I love me some mexican
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
If you notice, Z, Scotty and I all recommended restaurants from the same “restaurant group”.  Not that that is bad....just funny. You can link from one to the next on their web pages.

A little different than ‘89.
HA!! I'm pretty psyched to get back there and see all the changes. From what you're saying I won't even recognize it. Gawd I hope the hotdog cart is still there!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
We're planning on heading up to Smuggs for a day as well. Do a little hiking in the Notch and have a beer at the Matterhorn. I looked up the Brewski, a local dive bar that we used to call home which is right on the Mnt Road just before the entrance to Smuggs. OMFG!!!! It's a foo foo place now!!!!! I about did a triple somersault out of my chair once this page opened up. I gotta stop. I just can't believe it.

https://www.brewsterriverpubnbrewery.com/Home

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Was in Burlington a few times this spring. American Flatbread is quite good. Vermont brewing Co is good as well. In fact I haven’t been in a bad restaurant yet there. I did ski Smuggs once this past season, I was in the area and if I hadn’t had a friend comp me it would have been a bust. The trees were bare and only a few very icy trails open. Not the Smuggs I have skied in the past. Going back to Burlington in about a month to do some testing for a client. I really like that town. Wife would like to give up our cabin and move there.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If you do a loop from Smuggs back thru Stowe try some real beer at Alchemist - I know not your thing but if you bring Heady Topper back to craft beer guys at home they will owe you for life.

Also some good eats at Prohibition Pig in Waterbury - Pro Pig to the locals
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Z wrote
... if you bring Heady Topper back to craft beer guys at home they will owe you for life.
go for the Focal Banger!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
gorgonzola wrote
Z wrote
... if you bring Heady Topper back to craft beer guys at home they will owe you for life.
go for the Focal Banger!
Personally I like Focal Banger better than Heady but it doesn’t have Street cred as Heady.  In my book Sip of Sunshine is better than Heady as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Concur on sip of sunshine!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Hill Farmstead is the new hard to get out of state VT beer that all the hipsters want.