Re: Camping 2017

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Brownski
Backyard camping season has arrived. My camper is basically a tent on wheels but it's pretty luxurious compared to being on the ground. This plus a state campground with bathrooms is pretty much the minimum requirements for my wife to come with us.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Well, I survived the 15 day canoe trip but it has taken a while to process. In short, we went about as far north as you can go in Ontario by car, then paddled further north. We took a chainsaw and cut portages to get to a really nice river that may not have seen a canoe since 1987. When we finished, we took a train back to Cochrane, the town where we we left our cars. The full blow-by-blow trip report for canoe nerds can be found here:
http://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/wawagigamau-yesterday-river

Meanwhile here are a few pics to set the stage:

Two days in, there was still beer left. NYSB member Jeff LeChef enjoying a warm one in northern Ontario:

It wasn't always sunny. Getting ready to portage at the north end of Unknown Lake:

This is June 1 or so in the northern Hinterlands. Are we having fun yet?

There was some cool scenery. Waskotim Falls on the Yesterday River:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Thx for sharing.  Very inspiring!  North!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Looks like an awesome trip, truly epic. Thanks for sharing this.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Two thumbs up for our Canadian Brethren

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a wicked adventure.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
" The clearcut is about 25 years old, so the new growth is well established (i.e. thick as shit)."

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

It was probably the most physically demanding canoe trip I have been on, and there have been some good ones over the years. With three of us over 50 and the other two in their 40s, we were all in "old guy" territory but had a very strong experience base and skill set. In the group, we had an ER nurse, a firefighter/EMT, two highly certified whitewater instructors (one of whom still makes a living at it) and me, the mouse-pusher. Several of us (me included) had done other rivers in the region. The chain-smoking nurse did under-promote his paddling skills but was a quick study. Matt traveled all the way from Scotland to go on this trip, which kind of blew my mind.

Since I don't really feel like uploading 100 images here, those interested can check out a big photo set on Facebook that tells the full story in pictures:

Yesterday River pics

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I've spent a lot of time around those hinterlands, although a long time ago (thankfully).  How were the skeeters and blackflies?  I actually got sick once from too many bites.  It felt something like a bad hangover.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Love this pic titled "So much for fishing"

I know I've done my fair share of sleeping while on a watch deer hunting.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
I've spent a lot of time around those hinterlands, although a long time ago (thankfully).  How were the skeeters and blackflies?  I actually got sick once from too many bites.  It felt something like a bad hangover.
Our timing was excellent: water levels were just right and we mostly ahead of the bugs. There were two nights near the end when the mossies and black flies were mildly annoying. Coming was a different story - worst bug season in recent memory!
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Any campground recommendations for saratoga or lake george areas? We're picking up a new trailer next week and doing a few days in cny and would like to extend our trip north but having a tough time finding anything open  / available...
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Moreau Lake State Park may be worth a look. It's a nice spot.

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/150/details.aspx
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
This post was updated on .
thanks will check it out, I'm not sure why that didn;t come up on our search...

edit: aha, no electric sites  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Welcome G
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
There is a state camp ground just outside of Lake George Village that boarders the lake.  I used to more my boat off shore and camp all the time.  Pretty good site.
If you want more secluded go up to Rogers Rock NYS camp site.  Same Idea but on the north end of the lake, more secluded.