49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
We closed on our new house three weeks ago and just got in for the first time tonight. Its twice the size of our old house.  The whole downstairs is a huge kitchen.

Moving truck comes next Friday and we'll be out of my beloved old and modest house by the 16th.

Thursday will be the last time I walk to work.  End of a 30 year run.

Big changes, feels very weird.

Post your life changes here.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ch-ch-ch-changes

Sick Bird Rider
That is big. The new house sounds pretty nice, I think you'll get used to that quickly. The walk to work, that will harder. Can you ride a bike to work from the new place?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Biking possible I suppose but not likely. Some decent MTB just a few yards away, I'll need to get another bike.

The new house is much more modern, not exactly my thing. We are going from 1935 to 1985.

Old kitchen:

New kitchen:

Personally I prefer the much less functional old style.

In 5 years, we'll move again, hopefully to the Adk, and balance will be returned.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Both look nice to me..
Good luck at the new place!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JasonWx wrote
Both look nice to me..
Good luck at the new place!!
That's what I was thinking as well.

Off for Sunday Funday bass fishing 😁
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Old kitchen:

Personally I prefer the much less functional old style.
+1. Your old kitchen looks great!

My life change: sending a kid off to college in 11 days.  It’s pretty heavy.

......also slow motion trainwrecks like my metabolism continuing to slow and the resulting dad-bod, my brain turning to mush due to smartphone habit.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Since I dropped out of nursing school I’m now working as a crew leader for ACE and camping for 8 days straight and working out every day like a mad man. You could say I’m too old for this but I haven’t been in this good of shape in a long while now. I lost 20 pounds since dropping out! That school stuff felt like it was literally killing me, physically and mentally. I’ll be poor for the rest of my life but at least I’m me again.

The Museum fire burned up a lot of social trails and some system ones too in an area that I spent a lot of my time over the last 18 years. It also shut us down on the heart project for a few weeks too but that’s all ok. The social trails were at the end of their life spans and the legal ones needed to be rerouted as well so this is going to force the FS to get on that. There’s some opportunity in this fire for us local trail builders.

Nice looking homes there Harvey!
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Good luck on a smooth transition to the new home.

The problem with having more space at is that you use and fill the extra space. It is nice to have more space but you just end up with more junk scattered about. Some might say that is a discipline problem (true) but very few people have the discipline to avoid that trap.

We just closed out a storage unit that we've had for about eight years. We accumulated so much crap that we needed a storage unit, good grief. I'm currently selling off stuff that hasn't been used since it was put into the unit. It was nice not having to lug winter wheels down from the third floor twice per year but a small price to pay to get rid of stuff and save some cash.

I wish I could have major change in my life. I've grown way too stagnant. But I also have no ambition or vision for change. Haphazard circumstance will eventually better direct my trajectory, but it is a waiting game for me until then. Many people have desire but no means, I have the opposite problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
My life change: sending a kid off to college in 11 days.  It’s pretty heavy.
Mine moves into her first college dorm in a week.  Although since she's been at a boarding prep school in Boston, the bigger difference is that she'll be 200 miles away instead of 800 miles.  I may get in a few days of skiing in the NC mountains this winter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by riverc0il
Thanks River.

Believe me I get the "stuff" thing.  It was part of my argument against the move. Bigger house bigger cost, mortgage, utilities, and furniture. Plus moving cost is a lot. I couldn't git er done.

There are some legit reasons we need a bigger house and we have been living in "my house" for a long time. And in five years I want to move to the mountains.  It was time to compromise.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by marznc
Ok we are at the opposite end of  the spectrum .

We are seriously  thinking about selling our 4 plus bedroom Dutch  Colonial home at 2000 sq ft here near the St Lawrence River and moving into a nice townhome or patio home .

There are  no suitable alternatives here or nearby , so a move out of the region would be required .Optimally looking at Somewhere between 1200  -1600 sq ft in  low density, maintenence free,  housing layout .

Currently looking at Queensbury region or the stretch from Warrensburg to Toga . We want gas fireplace , open plan living dining kitchen area with first floor master suite and 2 br and bath upstairs and full basement . Want 2 car garage and preferably a sun room or at least a covered deck and good quality primary and tertiary care hospitals within a resonable distance .  Hate the thought of moving but there are times and life stages where it makes sense
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by witch hobble
That old kitchen was done custom by a guy who mills his own wood.  If you look at those cabinets from top to bottom each column came from the same tree.

When you have a small kitchen you have to go custom.  That who kitchen, excluding dishwasher, made from inch thick cherry, was $10,000 installed 10 years ago.  And that room ain't square neither.

My wife and I cut the hole to the kitchen with a saws awl. We traced another arch in the dining room using contruction paper for a template.

The Hole
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Congratulations and welcome to the 80s.
That new kitchen looks big enough to hold NYSB board meetings. Enjoy the new digs while you can.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
x10003q wrote
Congratulations and welcome to the 80s.

ROFLMAO.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Are you all moved in? Both look pretty good to me
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Moving truck come this Friday. Old house closing next Friday.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Good luck on the new house, sounds like the sale of the old house went easy. Like Warp, we have been looking at down sizing. The present place is just too much work to keep up and finding people to help us is getting harder all the time. If I continue to run my business finding the right layout will be hard. It occupies about 750 sq feet of space that my wife doesn’t want to see.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The sale of our old house was a PITA. Still is, we haven't closed yet.  The first day we had two offers above asking and we took the highest one, sent the other away. We went through legal and then made an offer on our new house.

Then the buyer flaked. Came back for a third look and changed her mind.  WE didn't want to flake on the offer we had made, so it was kind of stressy having two houses. It still is.

The other first day offer was gone, and after our house was "PENDING" for several weeks with no showings, we got one low ball offer and took it.  Apparently people who are owning their first house expect a 100-year old structure to be in new condition.  The whole buyer flake thing has cost us a lot of money and aggravation.  It's almost over, second closing on the 16th, but we still are trying to get contractors to finish the punch list.

The people who sold us our new house were incredibly cool.  The deal was done quickly and they did some nice things like leave us a big tire swing and did some tile they were planning on doing to sell the house.  Our offer came before it went on the market.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx

up sizing this late in life..dude you have balls of steel...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Still sounds like it went well. Selling is a real PITA but if you have it sold anywhere close to the time you settle on the new one your doing well. I’ve had houses sit for 6 months after I moved out. Now that’s a real PITA. Your in a urban Area with a pretty healthy market, unless a total crash happens you will likely do well on you new “big” house. Your cabin in the woods will probably only sell as a vacation home. That’s a much tougher market.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.