Chamonix/Courmayeur Trip Advice

21 messages Options
ADmiKe ADmiKe
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Chamonix/Courmayeur Trip Advice

I'm going to be in Chamonix for a few days (FEB 20-23) with my wife as part of a Paris trip.

Looking on suggestions from those who have been to make the most out of a short stay there.  Where to ski, etc.

Want to ski one day on French side and one day on Italian side.

Thinking of staying in Cham, but could stay in Courmayeur too.  Heard the tunnel is crazy expensive.

Coach Z - I think you've spent a bunch of time in the area?

I think Grands Montets is the premier place in Cham but also saw a post somewhere from you that Brevent/La Flegere good too?

Thanks
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Re: Chamonix/Courmayeur Trip Advice

Here you go..http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Chamonix-Courmayeur-Feb-2014-tp4037607.html

My daughter was in Cham for 2 weeks over the summer..She did not like the town..
"Peace and Love"
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

I think you need to hire a guide,  I would suggest hiring a female.  They are more understanding and much better on the eyes.  
ADmiKe ADmiKe
Reply |

In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Here you go..http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Chamonix-Courmayeur-Feb-2014-tp4037607.html

My daughter was in Cham for 2 weeks over the summer..She did not like the town..
What didn’t she like about it
ADmiKe ADmiKe
Reply |

In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I think you need to hire a guide,  I would suggest hiring a female.  They are more understanding and much better on the eyes.
Just trying to stay in the “resort”. More of a quick in and out thing to check out the area and do a little skiing .
Highpeaksdrifter Highpeaksdrifter
Reply |

Courmayeur is a really cool Alpine town to explore and hangout in, but the skiing is 100X better in Chamonix. From the few times we've talked I get the impression you're all about the skiing. This is a no brainer.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

In reply to this post by ADmiKe
ADmiKe wrote
JasonWx wrote

What didn’t she like about it

This a quote from her"Crowded ,built up Fake, like Disney World, Didn't feel real..locals said crowds worse in the winter....Courmayeur is great and pretty"

she said the tunnel was 40euros
"Peace and Love"
ADmiKe ADmiKe
Reply |

So far it sounds like Chamonix may have better skiing but less authenticity than Courmayeur.

I'm surprised to hear that Cham is built up and fake - I was under the impression it was one of the most iconic ski towns in the Alps

I know there are lots of other places in the Alps that would be better choices...but this region seems the easiest to get into and out of quickly if flying out of Geneva.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

ADmiKe wrote
So far it sounds like Chamonix may have better skiing but less authenticity than Courmayeur.

I'm surprised to hear that Cham is built up and fake - I was under the impression it was one of the most iconic ski towns in the Alps

I know there are lots of other places in the Alps that would be better choices...but this region seems the easiest to get into and out of quickly if flying out of Geneva.
Not necessarily so ..The Portes du Soleil region is about the same distance to Geneva as is Cham..
Hopefully Mr Deluxe will chime in, he is  the expert..

By the way the drive from Paris to Geneva was fun..
"Peace and Love"
ADmiKe ADmiKe
Reply |

JasonWx wrote
By the way the drive from Paris to Geneva was fun..
Is that sarcasm or it was really fun ha?