classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
273 messages Options
12345 ... 14
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Charger Love....

Telemark Dave
You know Harv, the R8's actually aren't as bad a fit for those Rossignols as you might think, given everyone's (including myself) first reaction.  The only knock against them is the lack of a tour mode.  If you've got a strong Nordic background, then this becomes less of an issue for "schwacking" as a free pivoting freeheel binding is actually too floppy (in tour mode) for most of the uphill/XC part of the skiing you'll be doing - especially as you're using a soft flexing T-4 boot.  

If you end up with a bigger boot - say a T-1 or equivalent, then yes, a free pivot tour mode type binding is the way to go.  

I'm sure others will chime in here to beat me senseless (or beat some sense into me) but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.  

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Telemark Dave wrote
You know Harv, the R8's actually aren't as bad a fit for those Rossignols as you might think, given everyone's (including myself) first reaction.  The only knock against them is the lack of a tour mode.  If you've got a strong Nordic background..
Problem is my nordic is too far in the background.  

Shaman and the Creator left me in the dust pretty much the whole tour.  (Pics to follow).  

Maybe I shouldn't be pishawing a tour mode.

I do like the feeling of control from the RT8s but maybe the Voiles are just as good.

Wish I could try them.  Shaman you got anything mounted with a VS?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
I had the BC 125's mounted with the Voile switchbacks and that was a very nice combo. I was just lucky to have a "pay it forward" with the Chargers coming my way or I would still be on that combo. TD has some good advice, but I know your terrain here and I can't stress it enough to you, if you're going to spend the coin, you will love a free pivot
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Fair enough.  I was trying to placate Harv's mixed emotions about being thrifty...

I'll cave and say it.  A tour mode binding is a better choice as you have the option if you need it.  And yes, the Switchback will give you as much control (re: activeness) as the Rottefellas.  
Note however, that the Rottefella hole pattern is slightly different to the rest of the worlds Tele bindings (g3/voile/black diamond)
So you'll have to add some new holes and possibly reposition the bindings either a bit forewords or a bit back to eliminate hole overlap.

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
I'm pretty sure Harv was going to be ordering new skis when he is ready to pull the trigger, so no issues with the pattern. The ones he used are demos from GHXC.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Perfect.  

Then Harv, man up and go for the Switchbacks...

Maybe buy yourself the setup for your upcoming birthday....if the rumour is true...

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
Continuing with the Switchback chitchat, Today I used a pair that I had mounted on my Elan Boomerangs.

I have to admit, I am not a fan of them in the B.C.  Waay too active for my tastes.  They create tip dive - I was skiing substantial pow, and I had to be conscious of tip dive - and that was on Elan Boomerangs. They have decent tip and tail rocker, so that wasn't the issue.  Could be that I've skied such "non active" bindings for so long that I've become hard wired
to not needing input from the bindings.  Hard to teach an old dog new tricks and all..

Again, just my personal preferences reflecting my expectations.  Lesson is that you should always test/demo any ski and binding.  Just so there are no surprises.

I should also state that that it was still a great powder session, I'm just being nit picky.

I might see if I can find some softer springs/cartridges.  

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
That's interesting TD as I had not heard that before, and I didn't get that feeling either, although it's been 3 seasons since I had the switchback/Rossi 125 set up. Voile did come out with the Switchback X2 2 years ago, to add more activeness to the binding as many people felt the original switchback was soft. I know I had the original ones, is it possible that you skied the X2's? Also, you made a good point of that since you have been skiing without extra conveniences so long, the new stuff feels "foreign".
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
Birthday was already expensive.  T4s and a weekend running wild in the hills.

Switchbacks are next.  Sounds like I can't really go wrong with that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
That's interesting TD as I had not heard that before, and I didn't get that feeling either, although it's been 3 seasons since I had the switchback/Rossi 125 set up. Voile did come out with the Switchback X2 2 years ago, to add more activeness to the binding as many people felt the original switchback was soft. I know I had the original ones, is it possible that you skied the X2's? Also, you made a good point of that since you have been skiing without extra conveniences so long, the new stuff feels "foreign".
I'm guessing the samething Darkside.  The most "active" binding I ski is the Rottefella R8, and that is on my Sickbirds that are only used for lift served....which 9 times out of 10 is groomers.  I also use T-races to drive them, so for me to jump on a pair of Switchbacks which according to Craig Dosties binding chart are more active than the R8's,  well that is a big change from G3 Targa mounted skis driven by Garmont Excursions (heavily modified)

BTW, they are the first iteration of the Switchback - I checked.    

I might see if I can get some of the "women" model spring cartridges....if they are softer.  I also am going to try to see if the G3 Targa spring cartridges will thread onto the Switchback rods....cause I got lots of them.

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
Birthday was already expensive.  T4s and a weekend running wild in the hills.

Switchbacks are next.  Sounds like I can't really go wrong with that.
If you wait a bit for me to swear and curse and get angrier, then I might have a pair for you.....

But seriously, if you like an active type binding, that is simple and well built, then the Switchbacks are the best value.

TD

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Just to prove to myself that I can still actually ski unmanaged deep powder, I took the Chargers - mounted with G3 Targas- out for some night skiing.  

No problemo. I - or the Chargers - ripped and surfed and Charged.  Fast and furious.  FKNA.  

Now, the Chargers have a touch more length than my Elans, and more tip rocker, but less underfoot.  So I don't think it was the skis either.  

The finger points right at the problem.  Me and the Switchbacks.  We have some issues to address.  

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
About to pull the trigger on Switchbacks.

Opinions on regular Switchback vs the X2?

Two ounces per foot seems like a good trade off for... what? More control?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
About to pull the trigger on Switchbacks.

Opinions on regular Switchback vs the X2?

Two ounces per foot seems like a good trade off for... what? More control?
The X2 appears to have stiffer springs. Based on TD's experience above with the regular Switchback, I doubt you want stiffer springs, unless you are mounting them on your Worths, bought four-buckle boots and have gained 50 pounds.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
you don't need the x2, save $$ and weight, get the regular
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
+3 on the standard Switchbacks.

My 2 sense.  (Cents...)

Td
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Harvey
Telemark Dave wrote
Gee Harv, those sure are some purdy boots... Nice and shiny and all..  

Now go get working on step 2.  

TD
Step 2

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
My solution to too stiff of springs.. Some G3 soft cartridges.

Same thread size - go figure.  Easy Peasy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Woohoo.  I am at peace with the Switchbacks.  The G3 Targa soft spring cartridges did the trick.

So now the question is - are my bindings "Switchargas" or Tarbacks?

TD
12345 ... 14