236 messages Options
1234 ... 24
Telemark Dave Telemark Dave
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Charger Love....

No. Not the Chargers...
The Chargers!!!!
(With apologies to Maxwell Smart and the "Craw"... )

Tried my new Voile Chargers today.  First impression - why did I wait so long..  

They tour (xc) better.  Rocker + width + length = win.

They turn better, faster, easier.  Again, rocker for the win.

Uphill, in 24" of dry slightly consolidated powder, they climb as would be expected of a fish scaled ski in those conditions.  I set a lower angle skin (scale..) track, using 6 years of familiarity with Karhu Guides... and was rewarded with not having to pull my skins from the pack.. Pretty nice.  However, I won't leave home without them.  (Skins).

The Chargers turn on a dime, almost remote control.  The tails are definitely stiffer than the tips, but I didn't find that I noticed, other than that they like the fall line..which is a good thing.  (ie.
they don't overturn .)

All my downhill lines were in fairly tight gladed hardwood, so it was pretty slow-mo.  That bring said, it was very confidence inspiring to be in total 100% control in unmanaged terrain.  

I'll be taking the Chargers for another test drive tomorrow.  This time where I can let them run.  Hopefully we"ll get another dump soon, so I can go dawn patrol with them at a ski area poach...

TD
skimore skimore
Reply |

Re: Charger Love....

Telemark Dave wrote
Uphill, in 24" of dry slightly consolidated powder, they climb as would be expected of a fish scaled ski in those conditions. TD
Equal to or better than waxing?
Darkside Shaman Darkside Shaman
Reply |

As Cartman would say, Suuuuper Schweet!
Ski More at Old Gore!  
Reply |

In reply to this post by skimore
Id have to say about equal in the -6c powder when first setting a track.  As the snow was pretty consistent (and temp) grip waxing would have been straightforward.  
Fishscales get better as the snow approaches 0c .  

Scales will never replace skins for climbing steeper pitches to access cold smoke pow.  They are however, a great quiver ski to have to enable max fun with minimal time and fiddling.  I spend my fair share of time dabbling in the black arts of grip waxing XC track set skis... And I enjoy it.   But the fish scaled Voiles (and Karhu Guides) are a no brainer.  
Reply |

In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
As Cartman would say, Suuuuper Schweet!

What's really cool is how fast they are when doing the XC tour to get to the goods.  I can't wait to use them again.. (But not today.. Going track set XC with my better half. ... But wouldn't the Nordic "race" ski crowd get freaked out seeing even the tracks from a pair of 140mm wide skis... I know a few that would prolly have an aneurysm just trying to comprehend... )

Thanks again for your input and endorsement of the chargers Darkside.  

TD
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Step 1
"I'm all about Clouding Out. I'm a teleskier now!" —tBatt
Reply |

Gee Harv, those sure are some purdy boots... Nice and shiny and all..  

Now go get working on step 2.  

TD
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Telemark Dave wrote
Gee Harv, those sure are some purdy boots... Nice and shiny and all..  
The shop selling those is matching them with Rotte R-8's and Rossi's. I thought the guy told me the Rossi's were 125s but from the graphics it looks like they might be the 110s.

TD, Shaman... opinions on this setup?

I'd like to patronize this shop if it makes sense... a mile from the cabin... a nordic center... pushing out that package. Gotta like it.

MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Is that the shop at Garnet Hill? Isn't Adam running that shop? I've got some other friends who purchased the BC110s from him (they've never skied Tele before, but they want to screw around in the BC).

I've got the BC110s too (picked them up off of a close out sale from EMS last year). They seem great as far as I can tell. Cool on a golf course, cool on the toll road. Haven't tried hiking anything super steep on them, but I cut some skins to fit them just in case. Lots of camber, pretty good kicking and gliding with Rotte 3 Pin bindings.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

mattchuck2 wrote
Is that the shop at Garnet Hill? Isn't Adam running that shop? I've got some other friends who purchased the BC110s from him (they've never skied Tele before, but they want to screw around in the BC).

I've got the BC110s too (picked them up off of a close out sale from EMS last year). They seem great as far as I can tell. Cool on a golf course, cool on the toll road. Haven't tried hiking anything super steep on them, but I cut some skins to fit them just in case. Lots of camber, pretty good kicking and gliding with Rotte 3 Pin bindings.
YES to all. Garnet Hill, Adam.

I want to tool around Harvey Woods (not too much vert but working on a "glade") and also head into the northern Siamese.  Kick and glide, then off trail to find some descents.  Some Raymond Brook and some Gore to Garnet/Harvey.
1234 ... 24