David Letterman

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

David Letterman

campgottagopee
Any Letterman fans out there??? Tonight will be his last show, really looking forward to watching  all the shenanigans. I certainly don't get the chance to watch him like I used to (can't stay up that late anymore), but while in college and thru my twenties I rarely missed a show. The guy totally cracks me up....love his dry sense of humor. Should be a real hoot tonight.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: David Letterman

MRV80
Banned User
campgottagopee wrote
Any Letterman fans out there??? Tonight will be his last show, really looking forward to watching  all the shenanigans. I certainly don't get the chance to watch him like I used to (can't stay up that late anymore), but while in college and thru my twenties I rarely missed a show. The guy totally cracks me up....love his dry sense of humor. Should be a real hoot tonight.
I never thought he was funny.  Always reminded me of some ass who thinks he is funny but isn't.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MRV80 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I never thought he was funny.  Always reminded me of some ass who thinks he is funny but isn't.
I'm not surprised
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I just don't think I like the format of talk shows. Monologue with mildly amusing jokes on current events, some silly bit with watermelons or headlines or stupid pet tricks, interviews with people I don't care about, one song by a band at 12:30. So no matter how good the host is, I never really feel the need to stay up and watch.

The good thing about Letterman is that he had the same disdain for "celebrities" that I do. It was great when he was just a sarcastic asshole right to people's faces. But I'm not going to watch a show in the off chance I get to see that.

Am I watching tonight? Meh, probably not. I assume it's just going to be a clip show of highlights I've probably already seen.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
mattchuck2 wrote
The good thing about Letterman is that he had the same disdain for "celebrities" that I do. It was great when he was just a sarcastic asshole right to people's faces. But I'm not going to watch a show in the off chance I get to see that.
That's what I've always liked about Letterman too. Always felt like it was "watching" radio with him. Not sure that makes any sense but it does to me.

In his prime he seemed to break rules that inspired people. Almost like the Stern of TV.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
If I had a working television, I would probably stay up and watch it. But I don't, so I won't. Let me know when it is on YouTube.

We have been television-free since the thunderstorm of June 2013.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I couldn't stay up so regretfully I had to DVR it and watch it this morning. While it was still entertaining, it certainly would've been better with half a buzz on........still MUCH better than SNL fairwell. I thought that was crap.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Stern rules.  He does the best interviews, has the best guests and is just entertaining as hell.  Nothing like getting an hour interview.  They are all over the place and you learn a lot about the person being interviewed.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Totally agree...Stern is #1 when it comes to interviews. How he draws info out of people amazes me.

One thing I was hoping for with Dave last night was that he would wear wrestling shoes. In the early days he wore those, and I don;t know why but it cracked me up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
campgottagopee wrote
Totally agree...Stern is #1 when it comes to interviews. How he draws info out of people amazes me.
+1!  IMHO, Stern is probably the best interviewer in media.  In the last 2 weeks, Stern had James Taylor, David Crosby and Roger Daltrey.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
I was a huge fan of his when he hosted "Late Night" and once I got a VCR I never missed it. The highlights they've been showing from the old show just confirmed how great it was. A few years after his move to CBS, I gave up on him. He had definitely lost the edge that made him so great.

I do agree with all the tributes saying that he drastically changed the late-night game for the better. If anyone tries to tell me that Carson was better, I just walk away.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Leno also was much better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Snowballs wrote
Leno also was much better.
When someone says that to me I run away.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Hehehe. Still running ?
Reply | Threaded
|