Deck finishing...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Deck finishing...

ScottyJack
Nice deck.  I really like cabot cheese bro!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
ScottyJack wrote
thx man.  checked em all out.  since the local lumber shop carries the Sikkens I think I'll give it a try.
That shit peels like a fat white chick after a day at the beach
hahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahah!

After more contemplation I cant's go with the Sikkens product on the recommendation from PeeTex.  He's voting for trump for Christ sake!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
not too late...  Since its new wood I am gonna give it a month or two to dry out.  Considered letting it just go natural grey.  I have no problem with that but the wife will....  Also worried about the cold impacting it.  that last deck surface (was old) but took a beating this winter.  it was popping like crazy on the really cold nights.

I am interested in the pine tar/linseed oil treatment.  Let me know if you go that route.  I was planning on using boiled linseed but got spooked after reading about it.  Long time to cure and then I read it is a mildew food???
Your old deck probably absorbed a lot water, hence the popping in the cold weather. I have never heard a peep out of our deck, though it is usually covered with snow (I don't shovel it). I doubt cedar will absorb water like that.

I will probably buy some of the pine tar & oil next time I go to the big city. Too pricey for shipping. I think I will paint the outhouse with it and see what happens (rough sawn pine siding).
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I like the cabot stuff CampHemlocked recommended.  It has linseed oil in it!!  I'm obsessed with the linseed oil...

we felt the vibrations from a few of the pops this winter...  I shovel the deck cause we are in the battle zone of the climate change and temps fluctuate so much I figured its best to get the snow off the deck to minimize water impacts...  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
ScottyJack wrote
... I'm obsessed with the linseed oil...
ha ha, I am obsessed with Pine Tar. Maybe I was Norwegian in another life. We should meet in the middle.

ScottyJack wrote
we felt the vibrations from a few of the pops this winter...  I shovel the deck cause we are in the battle zone of the climate change and temps fluctuate so much I figured its best to get the snow off the deck to minimize water impacts...
Hmmm. I have the opposite theory. The snow protects the deck from the shifts over the winter, nice insulating layer. Plus our deck is about 16 x 24, so that would be a lot of extra shoveling. Eff that.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
ScottyJack wrote
Darkside Shaman wrote
ScottyJack wrote
thx man.  checked em all out.  since the local lumber shop carries the Sikkens I think I'll give it a try.
That shit peels like a fat white chick after a day at the beach
hahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahah!

After more contemplation I cant's go with the Sikkens product on the recommendation from PeeTex.  He's voting for trump for Christ sake!
Hehe - my experience with Sikkens was not a solid stain which may indeed peel. I used their clear product. Used it to treat the teak decks and trim on my boat. It was beautiful. It did not peel and required a simple occasional recoating. That's was over 20 years ago so they may have changed the formula, but I suspect they are talking solid stain.

I did not know I was voting for Trump, I thought I was writing in Bernie.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
HA!

BERNIE SANDERS!  

Yeah I bet they are talking about the solid stain.  That products is a two coater and takes up to 72 hours to cure...  So yeah I bet they are not talking about the clear...

I still like the Cobot product.  it has the stuff in it that I like....
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote

Stuff works good SJ

I've used it for years. Lasts  a good long time as well. I'd say I did my old deck about every 5 years.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
<
Hmmm. I have the opposite theory. The snow protects the deck from the shifts over the winter, nice insulating layer. Plus our deck is about 16 x 24, so that would be a lot of extra shoveling. Eff that.
I get your point on the insulation but we're our elevation is 1000 feet so it can get pretty warm a lot and then I have all this heavy wet snow on the deck...  our deck is much smaller too!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Here's the deck I built at my house last year. It's all out of rough cut hemlock. It's weathered nicely this winter and is almost ready for me to put some water treatment on. The only stain I will use is Cabot. It's expensive but they have what they call "Natural" stain. It's basically like a clear but when it dries it gives it a wet look and brings out the natural grain in the wood. It's easy as hell to apply -- brush, mop, dump and smear, spray it on, whatever it all works.

Wow - beautiful house

"Party At Camp's!"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
 The only stain I will use is Cabot. It's expensive but they have what they call "Natural" stain.
http://www.cabotstain.com/products/product/Australian-Timber-Oil.html

this stuff ^
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
ScottyJack wrote
HA!

BERNIE SANDERS!  

Yeah I bet they are talking about the solid stain.  That products is a two coater and takes up to 72 hours to cure...  So yeah I bet they are not talking about the clear...

Stuff is good, can't have too much stuff.
A good friend is a professional painter, does a lot of high end work. He is always changing brands, tracking how has the best stuff in any one season.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
 The only stain I will use is Cabot. It's expensive but they have what they call "Natural" stain.

this stuff ^
That's not what I used. I used Natural stain, and not the timber oil but I'm sure either one would work fine. The one I used is in the 3rd row here      http://www.cabotstain.com/colors-and-finishes/families/Wood-Toner.html
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Here's the deck I built at my house last year. It's all out of rough cut hemlock. It's weathered nicely this winter and is almost ready for me to put some water treatment on. The only stain I will use is Cabot. It's expensive but they have what they call "Natural" stain. It's basically like a clear but when it dries it gives it a wet look and brings out the natural grain in the wood. It's easy as hell to apply -- brush, mop, dump and smear, spray it on, whatever it all works.

Wow - beautiful house

"Party At Camp's!"
At least once a week  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I thought you said you just drank beer and pissed all over your deck
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nope not this deck --- you're thinking of my old driveway
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Maybe you should try it - it would develop a nice yellow patina...

BTW - nice chimney, was that something you added?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
My one dog has a nice patina color started on a lower corner. For some reason he feels the need to mark his deck

The chimney was there when I bought the place but I did rebuild the top 3 to 4 feet of it. You can see it in the picture where the mortar is a lighter color than the rest. I also put a new cap on it and re-flashed it correctly.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote

this stuff ^

I used this stuff.  It sucks big time.  Its worse then the Sikkens.  I would really look into Ready Seal if I were you.  It has super cheap shipping in the US.  I had the stuff on for three years and still looks great.  I can send you pic if you want.  Send me an email if you want me to show you the parts look great and no so great after three years.  The stuff sinks in like an oil not a paint.  claude dot siadaczka at gmail dot com
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
def heard good things about Ready Seal....
I ride with Crazy Horse!