Deck finishing...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Deck finishing...

ScottyJack
Just replaced all decking and built new rails on our deck.  Was thinking of using Linseed (boiled) oil to preserve but reading it takes a long time to cure and is quite the mildew food...

So now I am looking at other options.  The deck is western red cedar.  Could just let it gray natural...  

Don't what to use a solid stain or paint - no way.  

Semitransparent or clear preservatives...  

Oil or water based?

Any insight?  

Want some UV protection to slow aging.  More important is keeping water out.

thx in advance.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Deck finishing...

Johnnyonthespot
Flood CWF-UV.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
Hey ScottyJack:

I have used Ready Seal out of Texas on my deck and have loved the look and finish of it.  Its a few years ago and needs to be redone but at least its not pealing like all the other crap I have put on before.  The thing I like about this stuff is that you can brush it on, roll it on or spray it on.  Super easy to put on and seems to last a long time.  Mine was on pressure treated lumber so it might be different with Cedar.  
https://www.readyseal.com/

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I saw a house this weekend where the owner burnt a thin layer all of the wood siding to preserve it and to keep out bugs / woodpeckers. No idea if that would work for a deck, but I guess it's a japanese method of finishing homes. It definitely looked cool and no chemicals were needed, not even linenseed oil.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
On wood decks I've always used a semitransparent stain, so as to avoid the inevitable peeling of solid color stain/paint.We finally got sick of re-staining, and splinters, and eventually rotted stair treads and such, so last year we replaced the floor, railings and stairs of our deck with Trex.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Sikkens Cetol
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
thx man.  checked em all out.  since the local lumber shop carries the Sikkens I think I'll give it a try.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I've had good luck with Thomson's Water Seal if you want a transparent finish.
Thomson's Water Seal
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
I have used Sikkens before.  It peels.

Here is a site that might interest you:
http://www.deckstainhelp.com/category/deck-product-reviews/

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by trackbiker
Nother Thompson's Water Seal fan
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by BigK75
good to know!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
If it is not too late, here is an argument for doing nothing. If you put a finish on it, it becomes an annual maintenance project. Cuts into your MTB time. We built a deck eight years ago with Home Depot grade western red cedar. We liked the idea of natural greying, but also did a lot of research into finishes, and consulted with the trusted owner of the local independent paint store. He said: "I know my job is to sell you paint, but I would leave it alone." So we did. Weathered to a beautiful grey, last year I carefully pressure washed it to get rid of some accumulated cack. That is all the maintenance I have done. Looks great, though there are a couple of boards that a getting a little punky. This is likely due to the crap quality of the original lumber. There is little good cedar anymore.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
ScottyJack wrote
thx man.  checked em all out.  since the local lumber shop carries the Sikkens I think I'll give it a try.
That shit peels like a fat white chick after a day at the beach
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Here's the deck I built at my house last year. It's all out of rough cut hemlock. It's weathered nicely this winter and is almost ready for me to put some water treatment on. The only stain I will use is Cabot. It's expensive but they have what they call "Natural" stain. It's basically like a clear but when it dries it gives it a wet look and brings out the natural grain in the wood. It's easy as hell to apply -- brush, mop, dump and smear, spray it on, whatever it all works.

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
That's a beautiful home, Camp!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Thanks man! It's been a labor of love for almost 2 years now. I had a vision for the place when I bought it. It was basically abandoned for 2 years prior to me purchasing it. Prolly be another 2 years before it's where I want it to be...LOL
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Camp, that is a cool deck and even cooler that you are building with hemlock. We have a local mill that sells rough-sawn hemlock, which I have used to build two sheds. Interesting wood to work with but incredibly durable.

Back to finishing. Despite what I said above, I still am considering putting something on our deck, and also on the sheds. My latest plan is to use the pine tar/linseed oil mix described here:
http://www.solventfreepaint.ca/pine-tar.htm

My wife is not convinced.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Camp you did an amazing job with that place , wow is all i can say !!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
not too late...  Since its new wood I am gonna give it a month or two to dry out.  Considered letting it just go natural grey.  I have no problem with that but the wife will....  Also worried about the cold impacting it.  that last deck surface (was old) but took a beating this winter.  it was popping like crazy on the really cold nights.

I am interested in the pine tar/linseed oil treatment.  Let me know if you go that route.  I was planning on using boiled linseed but got spooked after reading about it.  Long time to cure and then I read it is a mildew food???  

I ride with Crazy Horse!