classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Domestic Terrorism (Part 2)

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
I always preferred the pancake takedown but I guess a leg sweep is just as good. 2 points green!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Domestic terrorism in Florida

x10003q
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Ha!

That woman who got accosted by a cop in Utah for doing her job just settled for $500k.

Sometimes cops are wrong.
The nurse, Alex Wubbels, (maiden name Shaffer) was a USA Olympic skier and national champion in SL and GS in 1999.

https://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/sh/alex-shaffer-1.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Shaffer_(alpine_skier)

Glad she got paid.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Bump for anti-stoke
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
 Interesting take.
   Educate yourselves: There are 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, and this number is not disputed. U.S. population 324,059,091 as of Wednesday, June 22, 2016. Do the math: 0.00925% of the population dies from gun related actions each year. Statistically speaking, this is insignificant! What is never told, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths, to put them in perspective as compared to other causes of death:
• 65% of those deaths are by suicide which would never be prevented by gun laws
• 15% are by law enforcement in the line of duty and justified
• 17% are through criminal activity, gang and drug related or mentally ill persons – gun violence
• 3% are accidental discharge deaths
   So technically, "gun violence" is not 30,000 annually, but drops to 5,100. Still too many? Well, first, how are those deaths spanned across the nation?
• 480 homicides (9.4%) were in Chicago
• 344 homicides (6.7%) were in Baltimore
• 333 homicides (6.5%) were in Detroit
• 119 homicides (2.3%) were in Washington D.C. (a 54% increase over prior years)
   So basically, 25% of all gun crime happens in just 4 cities. All 4 of those cities have strict gun laws, so it is not the lack of law that is the root cause.
   This basically leaves 3,825 for the entire rest of the nation, or about 75 deaths per state. That is an average because some States have much higher rates than others. For example, California had 1,169 and Alabama had 1.
Now, who has the strictest gun laws by far? California, of course, but understand, so it is not guns causing this. It is a crime rate spawned by the number of criminal persons residing in those cities and states. So if all cities and states are not created equally, then there must be something other than the tool causing the gun deaths.
Are 5,100 deaths per year horrific? How about in comparison to other deaths? All death is sad and especially so when it is in the commission of a crime but that is the nature of crime. Robbery, death, rape, assault all is done by criminals and thinking that criminals will obey laws is ludicrous. That's why they are criminals.
But what about other deaths each year?
• 40,000+ die from a drug overdose–THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT!
• 36,000 people die per year from the flu, far exceeding the criminal gun deaths
• 34,000 people die per year in traffic fatalities(exceeding gun deaths even if you include suicide)
Now it gets good:
• 200,000+ people die each year (and growing) from preventable medical errors. You are safer in Chicago than when you are in a hospital!
• 710,000 people die per year from heart disease. It’s time to stop the double cheeseburgers! So what is the point? If the anti-gun movement focused their attention on heart disease, even a 10% decrease in cardiac deaths would save twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.). A 10% reduction in medical errors would be 66% of the total gun deaths or 4 times the number of criminal homicides......Simple, easily preventable 10% reductions!
So you have to ask yourself, in the grand scheme of things, why the focus on guns? It's pretty simple.:
Taking away guns gives control to governments.
The founders of this nation knew that regardless of the form of government, those in power may become corrupt and seek to rule as the British did by trying to disarm the populace of the colonies. It is not difficult to understand that a disarmed populace is a controlled populace.
Thus, the second amendment was proudly and boldly included in the U.S. Constitution. It must be preserved at all costs.
So the next time someone tries to tell you that gun control is about saving lives, look at these facts and remember these words from Noah Webster: "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole body of the people are armed and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force at the command of Congress can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power."
Remember, when it comes to "gun control," the important word is “control," not “gun."
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
The previous commercial was Brought to you courtesy of Wayne Lapierre .

Take the hypocrisy out of the picture , guns especially AR are too easily accessible .Many hunters here have indicated that they do not need assault rifles to pursue their sport. Moreover many Target shooters  or clay pidgeon advocates also support that notion  

but even MORE troubling to me is the sheer hypocrisy of the GOP Blaming the problem on mental health  issues , WHILE Simulataneously letting MENTAL HEALTH. RESIDENTIAL  INPATIENT   Facilities in every state turn patients out on the street using the Excuse that outpatient and community release are more effect .....i call BS of the worst kind !!

We have just witnessed that the Air Force did a crappy job vetting and reporting on this latest shooter in Texas .

These now weekly mass executions are "proof positive "'that the situation is worsening and must be dealt with nothwithstanding Lapiere's ownership of Congress and the White House  . Have we become anethesized to this level of violence ? IS the status  quo working  ? Is it ok because your family has so far not been affected ?

I am all for reasonable limits on both numbers of and especially types of weaponry .

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
warp daddy wrote
The previous commercial was Brought to you courtesy of Wayne Lapierre .

Take the hypocrisy out of the picture , guns especially AR are too easily accessible .Many hunters here have indicated that they do not need assault rifles to pursue their sport. Moreover many Target shooters  or clay pidgeon advocates also support that notion  

but even MORE troubling to me is the sheer hypocrisy of the GOP Blaming the problem on mental health  issues , WHILE Simulataneously letting MENTAL HEALTH. RESIDENTIAL  INPATIENT   Facilities in every state turn patients out on the street using the Excuse that outpatient and community release are more effect .....i call BS of the worst kind !!

We have just witnessed that the Air Force did a crappy job vetting and reporting on this latest shooter in Texas .

These now weekly mass executions are "proof positive "'that the situation is worsening and must be dealt with nothwithstanding Lapiere's ownership of Congress and the White House  . Have we become anethesized to this level of violence ? IS the status  quo working  ? Is it ok because your family has so far not been affected ?

I am all for reasonable limits on both numbers of and especially types of weaponry .
1) The 2A wasn't meant to make sure citizens can hunt and shoot clay pigeons.
2)Please inform on how the GOP itself turns mental health patients out on the street.
3)Violence is like shit. It comes in many forms. Stop sprinkling the gun flavor on the violence. It's still going to happen.
4) how sure are you that a criminal will suddenly decide to follow these new laws you want?

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
“They say 65% of all statistics are made right on the spot,
82.4% of people believe them whether they’re accurate statistics or not.

Now I don’t know what you believe but I do know there’s no doubt
I need another shot of something 90 proof
I got too much to think about.”
-Todd Snider
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
It’s a great tune. His Near Truths and Hotel Rooms album is full of funny, smart songs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
This post was updated on .
Johnnyonthespot wrote
There are 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms... Statistically speaking, this is insignificant!
The total number of deaths is not the whole story. We perceive risks subjectively, and some are much more unacceptable regardless of their magnitude or probability.  What would happen if a Muslim guy killed 30,000 Americans? Would you ignore that?
Johnnyonthespot wrote
• 15% are by law enforcement in the line of duty and justified
There's a little circular reasoning there: Cop shootings are justified because cops are afraid for their lives because they know anyone could have a gun.  And justified or not, police shootings are a major source of discord between the black community and others, so they are not really benign.  
Johnnyonthespot wrote
• 480 homicides (9.4%) were in Chicago
Obviously gun laws are not perfectly effective, but New Orleans has 3 times the rate of gun homicides as Chicago.  Chicago is also surrounded by States with weak gun control laws, which only undermines the effectiveness of Chicago law.
Johnnyonthespot wrote
   This basically leaves 3,825 for the entire rest of the nation, or about 75 deaths per state.
But the rest of the nation is preventing the cities most affected by gun violence from controlling guns, or even from developing a more effective background check system.  
Johnnyonthespot wrote
• 200,000+ people die each year (and growing) from preventable medical errors. You are safer in Chicago than when you are in a hospital!
• 710,000 people die per year from heart disease.
Everyone is afflicted by medical problems.  Apparently, only Americans suffer gun violence.
Johnnyonthespot wrote
So you have to ask yourself, in the grand scheme of things, why the focus on guns? It's pretty simple.:
Taking away guns gives control to governments.
The founders of this nation knew that regardless of the form of government, those in power may become corrupt and seek to rule as the British did by trying to disarm the populace of the colonies. It is not difficult to understand that a disarmed populace is a controlled populace.
Thus, the second amendment was proudly and boldly included in the U.S. Constitution. It must be preserved at all costs.
The Second Amendment to prevent tyranny argument is crackpot stuff.  The text includes "the security of a free state."  Yet somehow you believe that means you need the right to keep arms to overthrow the state.  Do you really believe that is possible your arsenal of 60 or so AR15s and other automatic weapons are a match for the Armed Forces of the United States?  (Start your revolution and my nephew will drop a drone down your chimney without leaving his office.)  And if you really believe that the Second Amendment is about preventing government tyranny, why can't I keep real military weapons, like rocket grenades and tanks and artillery and cruise missiles and nuclear weapons, if I can afford them?

Finally, do you really want to deal with these clowns when you take your kids to McDonald's?

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
It’s a great tune. His Near Truths and Hotel Rooms album is full of funny, smart songs.
Yea, he's a talented guy for sure!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
All I know is I'll be taking my gun for a walk 1 week from tomorrow
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Johnnyonthespot wrote
This is just not true. Suicide can be a momentary thought that is rendered instantly permanent with access to guns. If there is no gun, in many cases there would be no suicide. A gun in the home makes suicide 3 times more likely than in a house without a gun. You can still purchase a firearm at a gun show with no background check. Why is this still legal?
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie

Milo Maltbie wrote
The Second Amendment to prevent tyranny argument is crackpot stuff.  The text includes "the security of a free state."  Yet somehow you believe that means you need the right to keep arms to overthrow the state.  Do you really believe that is possible your arsenal of 60 or so AR15s and other automatic weapons are a match for the Armed Forces of the United States?  (Start your revolution and my nephew will drop a drone down your chimney without leaving his office.)  And if you really believe that the Second Amendment is about preventing government tyranny, why can't I keep real military weapons, like rocket grenades and tanks and artillery and cruise missiles and nuclear weapons, if I can afford them?

Finally, do you really want to deal with these clowns when you take your kids to McDonald's?

mm
Well, apparently they aren't very good at stopping even single criminals or you wouldn't be arguing to give up more of my rights. I'll decide how I protect myself and mine. Stop relying on the government to solve all your problems. It's not good when the government is your daddy.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
This is just not true. Suicide can be a momentary thought that is rendered instantly permanent with access to guns. If there is no gun, in many cases there would be no suicide. A gun in the home makes suicide 3 times more likely than in a house without a gun. You can still purchase a firearm at a gun show with no background check. Why is this still legal?
If someone wants to do it, they will find a way. I'm sure those who own a car are more likely to die in a car accident too. How do you know "in many cases, there would be no suicide"? Did they leave notes or was a survey done of the dead people? Come on man.
  As for gun show purchases, you know there are states where you just show a valid I.D. from that state and you are good to go, right? Criminals don't follow the laws.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
  You can still purchase a firearm at a gun show with no background check. Why is this still legal?
This isn't true either, well, I guess it's kind of true. A gun dealer can never sell a gun without running a background check whether they're at a gun show or not. A private individual can sell a gun without running a background check. Meaning I can go buy a gun listed in the paper for sale and not have to get a background check done. The label it gun show loop hole when in fact it's just a private sale that happens at a gun show. I've bought guns at shows, auctions, out of the paper, from dealers etc etc.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong rather saying it's a fine line.

Common sense gun laws need to prevail. There' really no reason for a civilian to need automatic weaponry. If you want to own those become a dealer or join the military.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Well, apparently they aren't very good at stopping even single criminals or you wouldn't be arguing to give up more of my rights. I'll decide how I protect myself and mine. Stop relying on the government to solve all your problems. It's not good when the government is your daddy.
I don't know what single criminals (or even married criminals for that matter) have to do with it, but I do want the government to protect me from people who want to use firearms to intimidate me.  That's kind of core government function. And the whole open carry thing is about intimidation, not self-defense.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
   CMapgottagopee: " There' s really no reason for a civilian to need automatic weaponry. If you want to own those become a dealer or join the military.  "

Boom there it is !  Thanx Camp
I can get behind this notion .

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
warp daddy wrote
CMapgottagopee: " There' s really no reason for a civilian to need automatic weaponry. If you want to own those become a dealer or join the military.  "

Boom there it is !  Thanx Camp
I can get behind this notion .
The military reference is interesting.  The army won't let you carry a loaded automatic rifle around the base.  YOu only load them when you are on patrol or guard duty, when there may be a real need to use them.  The open carry nuts want to take them to church.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
You guys crack me up. I'll bet you're worried about chainsaw bayonets too.
I don't rip, I bomb.