classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Downstate Tele Mount?

Harvey
Administrator
Once again the importance of a righteous binding mount has been highlighted.

I need a pair of tele skis.  They are coming via UPS this week.  I have a pair of Rotte R-8s in hand.

I need a shop close to 87 to mount them by appointment either late Friday or early Sat am.

This coming weekend looks like Catskills for me, so downstate would be better.  I know I could use Alpine or Inside Edge if I was going farther, and I may have too.

I need somebody who knows what they are doing.  I got really lucky on Saturday.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Downstate Tele Mount?

Ethan Snow
Huntah.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Not near 87, but Windham sells Rottefella bindings so should be able to mount them:

http://www.windhammountain.com/resort-services/demo-center/
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Harvey
You should reach out to Campmor in Paramus, see if they can get you in. they're on route 17, not far off the garden state
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I will consider that for sure.

I called Ski Barn and they asked me how to spell "Rottefella."
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Inquiring minds, well me, want to hear the story of the lost ski.  I almost lost a ski this weekend two different times.

Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I have a similar need - I have to get my AT setup re-mounted to new skis (warranty issue)...need to find somewhere who can mount a kingpin for me either downstate or in placid...and not just mount it...mount it correctly, the first time..
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I'll bet the Campmor guys can help. I only got NNNs and super light boots but they had a pretty good selection of more serious stuff too
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Are you mounting a 22 designs?  I may be able to get you the jig.  I'm a self server these days.  PM or text me Harvey.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
High Peaks Cyclery mounted my Dynafits, I'm sure they can do the Kingpins, but give a call.

I think they may have left the heel gap a bit too big, only one release this weekend (landing an icy trough) after putting the DIN to 9 and adjusting the heel gap, so give them a look over when they are done.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
You should reach out to Campmor in Paramus, see if they can get you in. they're on route 17, not far off the garden state
Don't forget to stop in at Smileys and have a beer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harv, if you are splurging on new skis, you should seriously consider treating yourself, and the skis, to new bindings.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the R8s only have three screws holding them to the ski. With your powerful new boots, that's a lot of torque, pull and twist being focused on a comparative flimsy attachment, and likely why they popped out of the Worths over time. More up-to-date bindings like G3 Enzo, 22 Designs, Burnt Mtn, all have six screws holding them down. Bishops have eight!

Not only will your binding stay on the ski, you will get a lot more out of whatever ski you get. Put the R8s on a touring ski.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by tjf1967
I actually want to tell it, and since one person asked... working on it now.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
High Adventure by the Albany airport is a good AT/Tele shop in the Capital Region, if people don't want to go too far North. I also like High Peaks Cyclery up in Placid. They've really gotten better over the past few years. All the people I liked at Inside Edge left, so I've been using Sports Page in the Queensbury area lately. I like the place but it's gotten pricey AF. I have soured on Alpin Haus. Got a horrific tune from them earlier this year and I'm not going back.

Agree with SBR, Harv, new bindings! Get some Axls, feel the power! I don't even like the R8 for BC. No free pivot? Pshhh, plenty of lighter options for that nonsense.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
  I'm a self server these days.  
 I agree. I rarely pay someone else to work on my skis. I want to get a base grinder myself one day. As of now I use an old one at a closed ski shop on Oneonta.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
They had four screws and I hadn't thought about impact of a bigger boot.  When it all melted, one screw was busted in half and I guess it was enough to rip it all out. If I'm going to switch bindings, no skiing for me this weekend.

MC or SBR love to talk about this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey wrote
They had four screws and I hadn't thought about impact of a bigger boot.  When it all melted, one screw was busted in half and I guess it was enough to rip it all out. If I'm going to switch bindings, no skiing for me this weekend.

IMHO, the conversation should most certainly include you telling us more what you thought of the NTN setup you skied the rest of that fateful afternoon...
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Marcski wrote
Harvey wrote

IMHO, the conversation should most certainly include you telling us more what you thought of the NTN setup you skied the rest of that fateful afternoon...
The NTN boots that I lent to him were Garmont Prophets in a 28.0. They were too big for him and he had a difficult time getting the boot to flex. The prophet is much stiffer than the Scarpa T-1's that he is getting used to, so he stood up and ripped some parallel turns on the Head Cyclic 115's
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Marcski
Boy the bishops look cool. Sold out at that link.

22 Designs is not the same company right? But still solid?

Ski Barn in Wayne is listed as a dealer, and looks like it's less than 15 mins out of my way cats or daks.  They open at 10. Think I'll call them about the Axl.

Tru dat Shaman. Any opinions on that binding?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Looks like I am ordering an Axl.

Marcski... the NTN seemed ok to me. Hard to tell as I was tired, and on huge (for me) skis. First time I'd ever been on something above 100 mm.  It wasn't as weird as I thought it would be.