Check out the Nissan Leaf, Harv.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Electric Cars

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
I think the Chevy Bolt might be a better choice. It is in the same price range and has more than double the range at 238 miles vs 107 for the Leaf.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
x10003q wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I think the Chevy Bolt might be a better choice. It is in the same price range and has more than double the range at 238 miles vs 107 for the Leaf.
There you have it!

Harv if you get one please keep us posted. I'm most curious how you might like it. Being we're rural, we don't sell EV's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think we are going to drive the Prius for 6 or 7 more years (if possible) and replace the battery if needed.  The way the warrantee works, it's be way cool if the battery died in the next year or two.

Looking like another CRV in my future this year, assuming I can stomach the CVT.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
We all better learn to like the CVT

I can't see them going away anytime too soon. MPG is way too good with those things.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
What is cvt?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
continuously variable transmission

feels like a snowmobile clutch --- it just pulls

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
CVT is fine, My wife's Subi has it and we sometimes use the paddle shifters for more control.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
CVT On our 2012 Outback LTD just got 33.7 mpg round trip to Chatham on  Cape Cod , we put about 1200 miles on for this trip with local travel on the Cape added . The Outback does slightly better mpg than my. Wife's 2014 Rav XLE .

Will buy another OB when im in the mkt. .  but this one just turned 34k , just getting broken in .We drive it  mainly on trips over an hr drive use the RAV for daily drive.

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Harvey
What's wrong with CVT?  I've never owned one.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I only ever drove one, for a few minutes. A test drive of an Outback in 2012.  Maybe I'm an old skool fart but I found it very unsatisfying. The cars I drive are "underpowered." When I need (want) to pass I like to have the ability to get the revs up and move. I know how to do that with a stick or a nice 5-speed auto. CVT felt unresponsive to me.

When you stomp on a newer CVT does it take off?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
I have no problem  with my Subies CVT..
I have standard legacy, stomp on the gas it  moves... In my opinion on a mid level auto it is the superior transmission..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
I only ever drove one, for a few minutes. A test drive of an Outback in 2012.  Maybe I'm an old skool fart but I found it very unsatisfying. The cars I drive are "underpowered." When I need (want) to pass I like to have the ability to get the revs up and move. I know how to do that with a stick or a nice 5-speed auto. CVT felt unresponsive to me.

When you stomp on a newer CVT does it take off?
The 4 cylinder non turbo outback does not have exciting pickup even with a manual tranny. It's not the CVT that is the issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
continuously variable transmission

feels like a snowmobile clutch --- it just pulls
I think i've ridden a snowmoblie once in my life.....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I couldn't figure out how to flog it to make it move.  I don't want or need good acceleration all the time, but I need some way to get it in a crunch.  Passing a truck on the big hill into Belleayre comes to mind.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
I have no problems with my Subies CVT..
And the auto manufacturers of the world agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
You can get some help from the paddle shifters but there's just not much pickup there. Some times I just have to wait to pass, merging onto the highway can be interesting too.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
PeeTex wrote
You can get some help from the paddle shifters but there's just not much pickup there. Some times I just have to wait to pass, merging onto the highway can be interesting too.
I have to disagree here..
I have driven everything from large commercial trucks to super cars..There is nothing wrong with the subies power..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
I couldn't figure out how to flog it to make it move.  I don't want or need good acceleration all the time, but I need some way to get it in a crunch.  Passing a truck on the big hill into Belleayre comes to mind.
Harv, the current generation CVT's are much improved over the one you drove. Most simulate shifts now, hold RPM's higher while cornering and passing. Jason is correct in that you won't have any issues. My parents have on 08 Outback XT LTD (turbo charged car), and a 16 Outback LTD (naturally aspirated car), my Dad enjoys driving both and says the power in them is equal.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
PeeTex wrote
I have to disagree here..
I have driven everything from large commercial trucks to super cars..There is nothing wrong with the subies power..
I agree that it is adequate, otherwise I would not own them. However, it's not a Porsche.