Electric Cars

classic Classic
41 messages Options
Reply |  

Electric Cars

Harvey
Admin
Volvo, a relatively small auto manufacturer owned by the Chinese, has said that all models introduced after 2019 will rely on electricity, either as hybrids or pure electric cars.

It seems that China is leading this effort in part because their urban air quality especially bad and likely to get worse as more Chinese get cars.

Many experts believe that battery technology is the key and the tipping point will occur when electric cars can go 200-225 miles on a charge.

URL is a bit misleading:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/volvo-going-all-electric-first-automaker-ditch-combustion-engine-n779791

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

Re: Electric Cars

D.B. Cooper
For the environment, it makes sense not to change the car (e.g. moving to all Smart cars) but instead to change the way it's powered.

Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply |  

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Volvo has to do something to try and stay in the game. They're losing market share like it was their job.

Reply |  

warp daddy
I expect Volvo to go the way of Saab , too small a niche market , expensive to repair , limited  service locations , and so i think it is a dead man walking

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
The Chinese gov't is all in on alternatives, I don't think they are letting Volvo go down.

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

Brownski
I'm sure there must have been a discussion on here of all the environmental problems with manufacturing and disposing of car batteries. Has there been a breakthrough I haven't heard about? There's also the problem of electricity generation. My perception is that China is mainly a coal-powered country (and mainly the dirtiest burning types) and a good percentage of their pollution is from factories. Again, if I'm out of date, somebody correct me. I'm not sure what China's gonna gain by switching to a coal-powered vehicle fleet.

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
Responsible battery production and recycling are surely key issues.

Re emissions:  If all cars were electric and if all electricity was produced with coal, emissions would be reduced.

Reply |  

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
I'm sure there must have been a discussion on here of all the environmental problems with manufacturing and disposing of car batteries. Has there been a breakthrough I haven't heard about? There's also the problem of electricity generation. My perception is that China is mainly a coal-powered country (and mainly the dirtiest burning types) and a good percentage of their pollution is from factories. Again, if I'm out of date, somebody correct me. I'm not sure what China's gonna gain by switching to a coal-powered vehicle fleet.
It's been talked about a lot in the past. You have not missed anything. Electric cars only make sense if you are willing to put in nuclear breeder power plants by the long ton. You also need to put in a system for swapping battery's out so a "recharge" takes minutes and not hours. The Chinese may make it work but it won't be on coal.

Reply |  

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Responsible battery production and recycling are surely key issues.

Re emissions:  If all cars were electric and if all electricity was produced with coal, emissions would be reduced.
I am not sure where you got that data. If it were natural gas, solar, wind or nuclear I could see that but not coal.

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
If this image is accurate it looks like I overstated it.

This shows how much MPG cars would have to get by region to equal the efficiency of an all electric fleet.  In the midwest were coal reliance is heaviest (but not close to 100%) the numbers reflect an improvement, but not nearly as dramatic as NY or CA.