Epic Eastern Storms

16 messages Options
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Epic Eastern Storms

We're working on a image gallery in the directory called Epic Eastern Storms:

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/epic-storms/

If you can think of great storms (Winter especially, but other seasons ok) and you know the dates post the here. Dates are especially important to find images before "naming" came in. Any info you remember would be cool too.

I'll try to track down the images.
"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to, to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Sick Bird Rider Sick Bird Rider
Reply |

Re: Epic Eastern Storms

Vulcan was epic in many ways. Even the name was great: did you get "Vulcanized?"

I don't recall the exact date but it was in March 2014. Here's my story: http://jonnyjay.blogspot.ca/2014/03/vulcanized.html

Edit: March 12 was the day I drove through Vulcan to get to Vermont.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
only the pricks at The Weather Channel name winter storms...So it's all about dates and location..
What was epic in NY could have been a bust  in Vt  or visa a versa..The list could be a mile long..
"Peace and Love"
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

The naming helps me find the data.

I'm most interested in storms that impacted NY VT and QC/ON. Realistically focusing on the history of NYSB, the last ten years.

Jason are you down on the NESIS scale too?  It's interesting to me as it takes population into account.

Peace and Love.
"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to, to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Oddly I can't find much on vulcan.  

I like using the NESIS maps as they are not forecasts but some approximation of reality.

They don't account for elevation, but they still let you know who was in the wheelhouse.

JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Kocin and Ucellenni are the authority when it comes to Eastern snow storms. They wrote the book..Which I have on my coffee table.

The NESIS Scale and table are perfect..They list all of the major storms...

https://bookstore.ametsoc.org/catalog/book/northeast-snowstorms-volume-i-overview-volume-ii-cases
"Peace and Love"
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

I always liked Kocin, he used to be on weather channel. What is he doing now? I never heard of Ucellenni.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Kocin is back with NWS..
He was too smart and not good looking enough for TWC
"Peace and Love"
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

louie.mirags louie.mirags
Reply |

why does naming winter storms get mocked so much?  Makes it easy to refer to.