Euphemism of the Decade

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Euphemism of the Decade

Michaeltokyo
DOJ replaces "criminal" with "justice involved individual".  No this is not The Onion.

Justice Involved Individuals
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Euphemism of the Decade

warp daddy
Yeah well i just created a new euphemism too .  

RECTOLIAN ...... i.e. A person who displays asshole ( ic) tendencies , or an Asshole

Yet another PC run amok episode stay tuned more will certainly follow from the pc crowd . Nothing. Of substance will be resolved but this drivel is seemingly endless.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
I should just keep my liberals lack common sense post in my copy paste function to save time
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
Yeah well i just created a new euphemism too .  

RECTOLIAN ...... i.e. A person who displays asshole ( ic) tendencies , or an Asshole

Yet another PC run amok episode stay tuned more will certainly follow from the pc crowd . Nothing. Of substance will be resolved but this drivel is seemingly endless.
This is not PC, this is purely trying to decriminalize criminals, trying to remove the consequences for the actions. This is an extensions of the demoralization and responsibility for ones actions from society.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
PeeTex wrote
This is not PC, this is purely trying to decriminalize criminals, trying to remove the consequences for the actions. This is an extensions of the demoralization and responsibility for ones actions from society.
PeeTex, rarely have I seen such excrement and falsehoods coming from you. The consequence is supposed to be the time they spent incarcerated, "paying their debt to society". Instead, we have created a permanent underclass where these people will never have a real second chance, even to get a job sweeping up upside, digging ditches, whatever. Perhaps if the reasons they fell into the system were disconnected from class and race, it would make more sense, but the only thing that was ever actually criminalized in this country was being poor.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah.....prison is rehabilitative.  Regardless of how one feels about the ability for convicted felons to be rehabilitated, to pay their debt and to be re-integrated into productive society, does anyone really think the name you give them is going to effect said ability?  Really?  

Really stupid is what this is.  Not the efforts to aid the successful transition of those convicted felons who have "paid their debt", served their time, back into society.  You want to do that make it illegal to ask on an application if someone has been convicted of a felony, or something like that.  However, some new name that some bleeding heart (liberal or otherwise) came up with isn't going to help.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
JTG4eva! wrote
Yeah.....prison is rehabilitative.  Regardless of how one feels about the ability for convicted felons to be rehabilitated, to pay their debt and to be re-integrated into productive society, does anyone really think the name you give them is going to effect said ability?  Really?  

Really stupid is what this is.  Not the efforts to aid the successful transition of those convicted felons who have "paid their debt", served their time, back into society.  You want to do that make it illegal to ask on an application if someone has been convicted of a felony, or something like that.  However, some new name that some bleeding heart (liberal or otherwise) came up with isn't going to help.
It's all part of the same package to give people who have been incarcerated a second chance. You can look at this one part and say "that's stupid" but it isn't the point. Somethings require a multipronged approach. Language is powerful. Perhaps substituting a different word for 'convict' will help in some meaningful way that has ZERO impact on you or me or anyone else. Plus, they are doing this in conjunction with hiring reforms to make sure that a criminal background would not result in someone from not getting a resume looked at for a job where it doesn't matter.

Our country has done a really bad job at getting the rehabilitation part right and creating a huge underclass of people with no future hurts us all. It's expensive to put people in prison repeatedly compared to collecting taxes from someone to pay for shared services. Not to mention the fact that it is most likely contrary to the "pursuit of happiness".

This isn't bleeding heart stuff. This is about saving us all a dime while potentially giving people a better future. But yea, of course some conservative pundits are going to want to make a days story about it because it means our country is going down the tubes.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
I believe there is a lot of power in labeling. That being said there needs to be a lot more done than a name or label to change ex-convicts ability to become a successful part of society again. The system isn't set up to rehabilitate unfortunately, it's designed by purpose or default (depending how you look at it) to keep people once they are part of it kept in the system and there are a lot of people profiting from that. Also most laws are created to actually create criminals out of non-violent offenders. The majority of most prison populations aren't made up of violent "criminals". America has made an industry out of this and that is why we have the worlds (or one of the) largest imprisoned populations. Any way you look at that it's pretty darn demented and f--d up.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by ml242
Hey, I hear you, and don't necessarily disagree.  You make some good points, particularly that language can be powerful.  Maybe long term using different language might change things, but I doubt it.  So legally involved, judicially challenged, statutorily disturbed, or some other phrase replaces ex-convict, rehabilitated felon, or whatever else those who have served their time are called......it's all just a rose by any other name shit.  That's all I'm getting at.  You can't hide what these citizens are, nor should anyone.  The emphasis has to be on the programs and the practices that cause whatever stigma is out there, the name doesn't really matter IMHO.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!