176 messages Options
1234 ... 9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Geeky Trail Building Thread.

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
Who likes to geek out on trail building?

Post up in here.

I have one more evening of work tonight before I get back out to build the next two days and I’m like a kid on Christmas Eve, all I can do is daydream about creating bike trail.

I’ll be back when I have more free time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Geeky Trail Building Thread.

JasonWx
I work 6 days a week , and feel guilty never volunteering to help build and maintain my local trails..

so thanks for all the work you guys do!!! much respect..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
dude! 6 days a week?!

Yeah, you gotta make the most of your one day man. Thank you for appreciating those that can make it happen though.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
A little background, this season marks the first of our agreement with the local FS district to go out and do trail work on our own without FS supervision. It’s a big deal and in the making for almost ten years now. We named ourselves the Flagstaff Trail Faeries, I put together the bucking unicorn with the trail faerie riding graphic for our group.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sweet logo!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Thanks Camp!

I like it too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Very cool, RA. So are you trying to  build some more flow than the White Line?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Here's a question for you experienced trail builders. Over the few years I've been mapping, in my head, simple MTB trails through various parts of our property. It is reasonably open hardwood forest with small rock outcrops here and there, plus we are at at the top of a low ridge, so there is going to be some up and down.

The section I was pondering today would be quite fun, there is a long granite ridge angling downhill, then you would turn and climb back uphill through the woods. I would want the trail to be rideable in either direction, so my question is this: when laying out the route with switchbacks on the hill, should the trail be designed first and foremost for the uphill rider? My gut says yes, since the resulting downhill run would be gentle, fast and flowy. It would also seem the best layout to avoid erosion issues. What say you?

We are not talking mountains here, BTW, this part would be about a 60 foot elevation gain/loss over a moderate incline. We are also talking about riders of advancing age and diminishing fitness!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Yeah you want to keep it somewhere around a 5% grade. The key to trail building or the number one goal is to get water off your tread. So you generally want a bench cut across a slope that at least twice the grade of your trail and incorporate grade reversals or dips every so often so the water doesn’t run very far along your trail. Here on Elden I like to see a reversal every 20 feet or so. This all varies on the soil at any location.
Stay away from going straight along ridges or gully bottoms. If you like steeps try to use large slabs of rock or you can get into rock armoring. I’ll post some armoring projects that we are doing right now soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
We are kicking off a long anticipated project this coming National Trails Day (first weekend in June) that I’ve been working on for the last two years putting together the routing on. The goal is to replace some terribly routed trails on an overlooked area on Mount Elden. In the end it should look something like this.

The red is the new Heart Trail and the yellow is the planned reroute for that section of the Little Elden Trail. It’s 8 miles of new trail and the Heart is about 4.5 miles of descending over 1500 vertical feet but starts after another mile or so of descending from the top of the Sunset Trail. Once it connects to Little Elden there should be another mile plus of mixed descending and low angle xc stuff. It’s gonna be a ripper! It also goes through some very unique geology as that side of Elden lifted and exposed several different sedimentary layers. There’s at least a mile and a half section of super cool red rock just like Sedona. The area burned in 1978 or 9 so the views are incredible and oak has mostly replaced the ponderosa.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The first switchback turn is planed to go where the flat spot in the sun is just behind the rock tower.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Will this trail be a out and back? Or is there a double track to climb? or a shuttle type situation?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
It’s part of a fairly large system. You can climb a road to the top of Elden or use trail so shuttling it is an option but it’s not a multiple laps kind of set up. Little Elden is part of a loop that circumnavigates around the base of Elden and it’s also a part of The Arizona Trail. The AZT spans the entire state starting at the Mexico border all the way up to Utah.

The AZT.  https://aztrail.org/

Here’s one of the control points/view sheds from the proposed LE trail reroute.

This one was taken from the first switchback when we gps’d the line.

And here is one more taken from about 3/4 of the way down the Heart Trail from a long redrock ridge it descends along. The views look out toward the Painted Desert.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I just read somewhere about a female cyclist that set a new record on the AZT trail.

Here it is:

https://www.bikemag.com/fully-loaded-bikepacking/kaitlyn-boyle-crushes-arizona-trail-300-womens-record/
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
love that last pic! Nice work!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
gonna  try to get out to sedona next year, def head up to flag and ride that trail
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
JasonWx wrote
gonna  try to get out to sedona next year, def head up to flag and ride that trail
It probably won’t be done for at least two more years. We’ve been working a lot in Upper Sunset the last few years. I think the thing to ride is Sunset down to Little Bear, then loop around up to Shultz Pass and across the AZT towards Snowbowl Road.

I’ll start posting pics of some of our recent work.

This was our project yesterday.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
RA, so when you build a burm...you use rocks for structural support and then fill it in/cover it with mud?  That's pretty much what we did on our local trails...but I am always game for some schooling.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Yup, at least in here we did. The dirt should seap into the cracks between the rocks locking them in place and the rocks will probably be visible. We figured this would keep them way more maintainable. It’s all just an experiment I guess.

This turn took a massive amount of rock to shape. We were calling it the four ton corner.

On a more bike specific trail we might go with all dirt as long as we have some groms that could tune it up every season.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Yesterday we got word that the CE for the Little Elden/Heart Trails project was finally signed making it an official go.

I went out hiking and scouting today, here’s a few shots of the views along the Little Elden Trail (in yellow on google earth image) reroute.

1234 ... 9