|

Gondola in Albany

Footer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gondola in Albany

Brownski
When I was younger, I had to cross the bridge many times to pick up or drop off at that train station. It always struck me as odd that they didn't connect it to Albany. I'm sure there must have been passenger service to  the downtown back in the pre-Amtrak olden days. That being said, this looks like a boondoggle to me. Check the I70 thread for some common sense regarding mass transit. There will never be enough users to justify the expense of building this thing. And honestly, getting there from Albany or Colonie isn't all that big a hassle now. They don't call it Smallbany for nothing. I swear there's nothing in the whole capital region that's more then a twenty minute drive from my parents house.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Footer
I think it is funny that they spelled gondala wrong.

Seems like a fun idea.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Who knows how to run a Gondi in NYS?  I envision mission creep for Orda.

The Gondi cars can be sponsored by lobby firms and unions.

How do you make a Gondi cabin Ada compliant?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Most gondola cabins built these days have folding seats and level boarding.  The seats are folded up to give more room to fit a wheelchair.  

The Breckconnect Gondola has level boarding as shown in this picture.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I know the press releases have called it a "gondola," but I believe what is actually being considered is a tram.

A new study will look at the feasibility of building an aerial gondola in downtown Albany, New York similar to those found in other cities such as Portland, Oregon.  The Portland Aerial Tram, pictured here, opened in 2006.
Albany Business Review
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The whole Gondola or Tram idea in one aspect is not such a bad idea, it will transport state legislators to/from the Amtrak station so they don't need to take a cab or drive a car. Will it be justifiable from a cost perspective, maybe yes, maybe no. Will it make are politicians lives a little easier - yes, will it line the pockets of some politically connected construction company and be an opportunity for kick backs and graft - yes, therefore the money is likely going to be approved.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Sounds like a Gordon Gecko type project , ripe for corruption and chicanery

Here are better ideas : term limits for legislators , part time salaries , no effin lulus for bs committee assignments IT ISPART OF THE DAMN JOB . PLace a limit on the number of days the legislature can be in session and no more than 2 district offices . In the info age use the technology rather than staff up and grease the palms of party. Hangers on.

As a member of two  boards of directors of corporations with budgets over 100 million there are no directors stipends or salaries , no perks except one annual conference .

The regualar mtgs and several standing committee assignments require over 100 days a yr committment   I willingly do This for THE BETTERMENT OF THE COMmunIties i represent .. All at no pay and i am NOT bitching about it at all, it IS a way for  me to GIVE BACK and render PUBLIC SERVICE to my communities who supported me during my career .

Legislators in NY are PART TIME roles , they for the most part ARE TOLD And Sold  on how to act By their leadership . the rest of the act is posturing for the benefit of theatre and the public .. BRead and Circus . Cynical ,mYOU BET , i saw this every year when i Traveled for business to the   Puzzle Palace on the Hudson .

Legislators were always courteous but we knew damn well they had no real power so ultimately i had the NYS BUsiness Council ( whose members employed our technical graduates ) front our issues to the leadership and THAT got action .

The state of Maine has many of these reforms in place  pt legislators , max no of session days etc . IT FORCES Legislators  To act expediously rather than screwing the pooch with meaningless drivel and puffery .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
It said 10 pax which is too small for a tram

Also with a tram you would have to wait probably 10+ mins between trips and if it only holds 10 it would be pretty useless.  It has to be a Gondi to make sense.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time