1234 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Conditions (2011-2012)

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gore is going to start blowing as soon as temps drop and go as long as temps are within range.

The plan is to opening on Black Friday (11/25) with Foxlair, Sunway, Quicksilver, 3B, Jamboree, Topridge, Ruby, possible more. All dependent on temps/weather of course.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Conditions

JasonWx
i wouldn't start blowing till early next week...wasting my tax paying dollars..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Gore is going to start blowing as soon as temps drop (today) and go as long as temps are within range.

The plan is to opening on Black Friday (11/25) with Foxlair, Sunway, Quicksilver, 3B, Jamboree, Topridge, Ruby, possible more. All dependent on temps/weather of course.
Wow, that seems like alot to get covered in one week, indications of their new capacity? Maybe it's just PR.

Blowing snow in this weather pattern is kinda like going for it on 4th and 1 in football.

If you make it, you're a genuis.

If you don't make it.......

I'm tuning skis, so I'm ready.

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Quite honestly, it was pretty bad today. Maybe I'm just spoiled because my first 3 days had about a foot of fresh, but there were tons of bare dirt spots on Sunway under the Gondola, and the bottleneck in quicksilver was just a big brown streak. Not a whole lot of dirt coming through, but whatever was, just spread everywhere.

Foxlair was in surprisingly good shape. The first turn at the top is a mess though. The turn into Sunway is a big ole skid mark.

They had a flat box and the shotgun rail set up for the park.

Regardless, I had fun in the 6 runs I took. My first 2 were tele. It was interesting.

Probably won't be back tomorrow or Sunday.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Fujative was spot on regarding the first turn on Foxlair... a disaster waiting to happen.  I was surprised to see so many beginner skiers on the slopes today.  They were having extreme difficulty navigating that first turn.  The width of the run was roped off except for about three yards off to the extreme right with a hairpin left banking downhill turn.  

That said, I was pretty happy with the conditions today, especially given the recent lack of good weather for snowmaking, and the fact that we almost hit 50 degrees.  Aside from several dirt spots on Sunway, I though the coverage was good enough for this time of year.  We ended up doing about six runs and then had lunch out on the deck.  It was a nice start to the season.  

We'll probably head up to Whiteface tomorrow for a little variety.  
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
My son and I skied from 9 till 345 when he said he'd had enough.  It was good getting back on snow.   Some spots had 3 inches to start and were bare by 1030.     Dirt zone began around not at the tight turn downhill from subway cut off.  Fox lair was the only way from top so decided motto ski w Grace my 4yr old.  The ran the double chair...snow three was much better but midway station exit and only two hits...we only did the box... no rails for us.   We found lots of natural hits and simply had a great day... not sure how they can open tomorrow.    While everything else would be passable or fixed by groomer... the massive dirt zone would take a miracle.   We may check it out and will report.  Or just build a kicker at snow bowl and hike..
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From Gore:

"We are making snow on Topridge, Pine Knot, Sunway below Quicksilver, 3B, and Bear Cub.

Next weekend, with some help from Mother Nature it's possible: with snowmaking in progress, and thin cover… Hawkeye."
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
They opened Lower Sunway to 3B, Topridge, Pine Knot and Tannery today and with the "help" of the above freezing temps it all skied pretty well especially as the sun peaked out today. I say help because they blew some some good wet base snow that had it been colder would have been boiler plate, but that stuff is good and dense!
We have a mixed bag forecast for tonight and the temp is at the witching level right now, so hopefully we will get a crust of shwag on top and it survives the nast for tomorrow. There are colder temps in the forecast so barring any major repair work on what we already have they are hoping to jump up to Hawkeye, Cloud and Headwaters as conditions and temps dictate. The snowmakers would love to be spending their shift working on terrain instead of the same the ol' same ol' they done for the last 3 weeks. As I've said before pray for cold and snow!!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
What's open tomorrow should be good. Got a few runs in today. Up top was fast and firm with it getting softer as you got further down. Overall good cover. I don't think the rain hurt too much and it must have snowed up top some as there was coverage (at least a dusting) on everything' I could see from top of bear. They were blowing on Topridge.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
the plus side of rain is that the snow is soft. started raining early 10ish steadily got harder. no chair rides today stayed in the comfort of a dry cabin to the top. tele fujative sighting today, he looks like he s picking up another facet in total mountain style. going to be a very tough holiday week for the mountain
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Skied Gore today...sorry my heels were attached.  Chocolate snow returned in a big way on Quicksilver and let's hope this is the worst of the season...but...Topridge was incredible once the crust loosened up.  The bumps are still there and were the best I have skied this season   If I had my GS skis Pine Knot might have been fun but I am not sure it softened (I left at noon).  The frontside was stiff on top of Bear and slush by the bottom... Let's hope we get more than they are predicting..  It was snowing up top when I left and rain at the bottom

P.S.  Mike please don't groom Topridge until tomorrow NIGHT
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
i dont judge ; its all just skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I totally agree...I am just envious.  I've dabbled in tele (very rarely in public) and if I could afford a new quiver, that is the direction I would go.  Some of the best skiers on the mountain are not attached at the heel.  I just want Mike to keep the bumps for one more day.  PLEASE!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
if you want to improve you have to go public ,ask fuj
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
sudsnbumps wrote
P.S.  Mike please don't groom Topridge until tomorrow NIGHT
You da man suds. Good on ya for a great day.

Probably too late, but I forwarded the message.

If somehow your wish comes true I ask you to post ONE PHOTO of bumps.

Like I said > Fuje will rock tele.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I'll try to get Sarah's phone otherwise no photos...sorry
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"Opening up Showcase to Sleighride to Wild Air to Stokes to Arena tomorrow.

Shooting to open up Hawkeye (with snowmaking in progress), Cloud and Headwaters on Saturday.

We will open up Showcase to 2B or all of Showcase over the weekend.

J-Bar Monday, Tubing Tuesday.

Patching open terrain will be on going."
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"3” new at base, 5” at summit, but couldn’t make snow below saddle last night."
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
A morning report from the gondola was snow making in progress around the summit, sunny and nice skiing.  I'll be there tomorrow.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
All in all the mt was a lot of fun today, and they opened Showcase to Sleighride to Stokes, and it skied pretty well. Everything was groomed last night including Topridge, and it was done before the snow came, so it bonded with the base. They are blowing on Hawkeye, Cloud, and Windy Hill, and Lift 7 will be open tomorrow with Cloud and Headwaters. Hoping for Hawkeye by Monday.
Going to very cold tonight and tomorrow night, so hopefully the snowmakers will be able to kick some butt.

Think snow
Gotta go to know
1234 ... 13