547 messages Options
1234 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Conditions (2015 - 2016)

Petronio
This post was updated on .
What do people think are the chances of Gore having some open trails Thanksgiving weekend?  This heat wave is not encouraging.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Conditions

JasonWx
using the current long range..50/50 chance..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
Gores new map is on their website. I’m glad I’m not a newcomer to the mountain. Not sure if it’s much better then the old. Map is outta scale, distorted. I couldn’t do better but seems someone could. I’ve seen Mad Rivers map it’s good. Smaller mountain with less aspects probably easier to depict. Does this post go here or in improvements section ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Here is fine.

I actually thought the map was good for someone who doesn't know their way around.

Here it is:

http://www.goremountain.com/files/public/PRI-0703_GORE_MapInsert.pdf

Still trying to figure out how to slice it up and put it in the directory. Can't figure out how to turn a pdf into a sharp jpg.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
I can second that the map is good for someone who doesn't know their way around!  I was at Gore for the first time last season (really loved it) for a clinic, and I think this map conveys the separate areas (and how to get back and forth) better.  
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Having only skied Gore a couple times, I also think the new map is a bit better.

The best ski maps are by James Niehues.  His paintings of ski mountains are the basis for trail maps for close to 400 places, big and small.  He recently redid Alta to replace the painting he did about 20 years ago.  The new version shows the Supreme and Wildcat terrain much more clearly.  Also redid the new combined Park City and Canyons terrain.  Talk about a complex ski resort!  A couple years ago, he redid Big Sky after Moonlight was bought.

http://www.jamesniehues.com

He's been explaining his process on his Facebook page the last couple years.  Posts pics of the work in progress.

https://www.facebook.com/JamesNiehues/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sounds like Ted was right.  Locals hearing guns from the hill tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
This post was updated on .
Harvey,

What percentage of Gore is usually open by Christmas?

I am going with my girls on the 28th till the 1st.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Gore has a photo of them blowing snow on their FB from today!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It's like the old days, Showcase first. Looks like Sno is getting his AE2 wish.

northerncajun I don't pay too much attention to this stuff as we go no matter what. It's what we do at Christmas. I could guess at your question, but the guy who could quote you stats is a snoloco.  Odds are also decent that you will have to listen to some other stuff to go with it, but hey, nothing is free.

I'll try too since you asked: The weather for any specific year is of course a crap shoot. So far it has been pretty warm, but who knows.

My guess for a "normal" year: much of the front, some of Topridge (Pine Knot and Uncas?) and some of the summit (Headwaters, Hawkeye, Open Pit, Lies?) Maybe starting in the Darkside right around Christmas. Who can remember. Others please chime in.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
not looking to start a war..but why are they blowing snow (wf too) ? knowing full well that there is a significant and wet warm up coming? Why not wait to sat/sunday for colder weather..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JasonWx wrote
not looking to start a war..but why are they blowing snow (wf too) ? knowing full well that there is a significant and wet warm up coming? Why not wait to sat/sunday for colder weather..
I agree with this. Seems kinda dumb.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I don't know what forecast you two are looking at but the weather is not that bad.  There is one day in the next 7 that it wont be below freezing during the night.  They are scheduled to open in 10 days, its time.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Not saying they won't have snowmaking weather. Just that it would have been a financially prudent to wait till Saturday.
It's going to be very warm , wet and windy Wed and Thurs..

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What are you seeing for QPF Jason?

Here's NOAA, looks like Gore and WF in the .5-.75 of an inch zone:

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
around that but maybe more. the models don't handle orographic  enhancement well..

but we get cold right after..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Not saying they won't have snowmaking weather. Just that it would have been a financially prudent to wait till Saturday.
It's going to be very warm , wet and windy Wed and Thurs..
Yeah, this was my issue, too. Seems like a waste if it's all going to get washed away Thursday. But if they get some snow out of it, I'll be happy to be wrong.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This is from the Stowe Site...Kind of makes sense..

Based on the mild weather forecast for the rest of this week, Stowe Mountain Resort will not be open for skiing & riding this weekend. Our new scheduled opening date for the 2015-2016 winter season is Wednesday, November 25th (weather permitting). - See more at: http://www.stowe.com/ski-ride/conditions/#sthash.HSsZ31Cq.dpuf
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This looks pretty reasonable. Personally I like the idea of pounding the east side starting friday night.

Friday: A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 43. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 34.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 30%

Sunday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Sunday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Monday: A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 29. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Monday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 32.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They basically just did a test last night.  Starting Friday, they're going to blow Showcase definitely, and I'd say Sunway to Quicksilver is likely as well.  Open on Black Friday with 2 full runs off the AE2.  Gondola and Topridge would follow in the next 1-2 weeks.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
1234 ... 28