classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
612 messages Options
12345678 ... 31
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

sudsnbumps
It sure seemed like more on the mountain.  Shaman also reported another three inches overnight.  Yesterday you had to look around to get the goods.  Lower Uncas seemed a foot deep and you could still get untouched up until noon but the winds were giving the lift issues.  They opened Chatterbox glades..6 inches over a pretty tight base.  I skied it multiple times and hit nothing serious.  A few other glades were skiable but I won't mention which as many ropes were still up...nobody seemed to care...after all it was Christmas Day.  Lies was firm and not much fun when we got to it.  Open pit was OK lower was better.  Chati skied really well au natural, but there were some exposures that were easily missed.  Apparently Hawkeye's top was firm as the other half of our group met us on Chati at the cut through.  First run was sunway to Quicksilver in 6 inches of powder where you just carved, letting the skis run quietly. Overall it was a good powder day with the best part being the trail count is going up.  The rain really created a nice base in the woods and with the new snow skied in, here we go
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore ultimately went with 7, but no additional overnight.

I'm taking 3 for today, even thought it fell before midnight.

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/gore-mountain-snow-totals/2017-2018/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Was anyone on the mountain today?  How’s Gore skiing?  

We’ve finally passed the end of year rush and are digging in for what is looking like a A great season in the making......shhhhh....I’m afraid to even say that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Mike I was there. It was really good all over the mtn.

Otter Slide
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Harvey, was the snow soft enough for my Monoski?  I’ll bring it up tomorrow if it’s packed powder....it just hates hard pack...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MikePom wrote
Harvey, was the snow soft enough for my Monoski?  I’ll bring it up tomorrow if it’s packed powder....it just hates hard pack...
Sorry I was at dinner before.

We did something I haven't done for many years, arrived after first chair.  We showed up at NOON and the only thing that i saw that was really icy was the hawkeye headwall.  The lower mountain was deluxe.  Did not get to the north.

Not knowing ANYTHING about monoskiing... a little nervous about recommending, but yes I think you will rip the mono. Where do you like to ski it most?

Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
In reply to this post by Harvey
Where is this harvey?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Great day at Gore. Hope it was monoworthy. I think it was.

Did some exploring.  I couldn't stay until the North opened.

How was it?  Did they open the top?

Hudson Chair and the BR Quad tomorrow!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Beautiful skiing and super cold.  Still lots of good stuff in the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Another super cold day, and great skiing. I lapped Tahawas and then Twister when the rope dropped.

Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Everything basically is now open and it's before the before the new year!  I have never seen this before although it does seem like they are opening trails that would have been closed in the past with the same snow conditions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
NorEaster27 wrote
Everything basically is now open and it's before the before the new year!  I have never seen this before although it does seem like they are opening trails that would have been closed in the past with the same snow conditions?
http://nyskiblog.com/interview-gore-gm-bone-bayse/#more-45798
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
It's true that grades for open terrain have always been weather dependent.  What do you say A-?

I think I saw a kid from Jersey hassling WF telling them that Gore was beating them!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'll be at Gore tomorrow and it'll be my home mountain when I get back to school for as long as they're 96% open with Whiteface 57%.  A+ for Gore.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
What a great day of skiing.....cold....but the snow was so good.   We stayed at the Ski Bowl all day and were really treated to some amazing stuff by the Gore Patrol.

First they dropped the rope on JJ's Glade and we had first tracks which were so good.  Then they dropped the rope on the Ski Bowl Glade, which was just full of really deep snow, a lot of work, but worth it to say we had first tracks in Ski Bowl Glade for the season.

Moxam was excellent also.  They groomed the center but left wide swaths of powder on the sidelines which was great because you could hold speed and dip in and out of the pow.

Yurt was empty....parking lot was empty.....it was the North Creek Ski Bowl at its finest.

Moxam
Busting Fresh Pow on Moxam

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Ski bowl lift not even close to ready on time, likely on purpose to force people who want to park close to the lift to pay for parking.  They got me.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
I think it's great that Gore is opening up so many trails on only natural snow but I don't remember them doing this in the past.  I saw many people on high pines Glade that shouldn't have been on the trail.  While it was officially opened it was more changeling then it would have been if they had more snow.  Does anyone else agree that Gore is opening more trails quicker this year than in the past with similar snow conditions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Maybe and I hope so. But there was also something very specific about the way the snow fell too. We had some kind of base, then we got ten inches, and then rain, but not enough to wipe out the new snow. Then it got cold and we got another 10 inches.  It's amazing how rarely we are hitting bottom with the amount of snow we've had.

Great holiday debut for Bone for sure.

Hang in there sno and you will have a great day I bet.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
High peaks lift still not open.  Stuck on lower mountain unless I wait in the already out of the ropes gondola line.
12345678 ... 31