612 messages Options
1 ... 28293031
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Z
Realign as in move? Where? Which direction?

That is not a cheap thing to do

Why didn’t they do this before putting the lift in ?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
If you're looking at the lift from the base, it is being moved slightly to the right and will go up a little higher to a knob that is just up and to the right from where the lift ends now.
As to why they didn't do this before, good question, and only one that can be answered with a lot of double talk, of which ORDA is really good at. I am not of fan of any part of this plan.
And cost...ORDA doesn't care, as we the people are paying for this...
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
This is great....so reading between the lines, they are going to destroy probably some of the best terrain they have, the ski bowl glade....wonderful.

I've had some of my best runs in that glade, the thought of a lift and human overburden slashing through it makes me sick.

They can't even figure out how to blow snow on the 46er and they are tearing out and installing a new lift?  Maybe its time to stop expanding and try to figure out how to open up what they already have.

Gore Mgmt....if you're reading this...no on really cares about all your numbers....trails...acreage....lifts capacity....none of thats important to skiers....what's important it opening up the trails and keeping them open.  And, in the face of global warming and what we've experienced the past decade, I'd recommend you forget about expanding and figure out how to manage what you already have.

Global Land Temp Index
Graph courtesy of Wikipedia

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
MikePom wrote
This is great....so reading between the lines, they are going to destroy probably some of the best terrain they have, the ski bowl glade....wonderful.

I've had some of my best runs in that glade, the thought of a lift and human overburden slashing through it makes me sick.

They can't even figure out how to blow snow on the 46er and they are tearing out and installing a new lift?  Maybe its time to stop expanding and try to figure out how to open up what they already have.

Gore Mgmt....if you're reading this...no on really cares about all your numbers....trails...acreage....lifts capacity....none of thats important to skiers....what's important it opening up the trails and keeping them open.  And, in the face of global warming and what we've experienced the past decade, I'd recommend you forget about expanding and figure out how to manage what you already have.

Global Land Temp Index
Graph courtesy of Wikipedia
This could have been written by Snoloco
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
If you're looking at the lift from the base, it is being moved slightly to the right and will go up a little higher to a knob that is just up and to the right from where the lift ends now.
As to why they didn't do this before, good question, and only one that can be answered with a lot of double talk, of which ORDA is really good at. I am not of fan of any part of this plan.
And cost...ORDA doesn't care, as we the people are paying for this...
True the taxpayers of NY are paying and as a tax payer I would say they have some explaining to do why a 5 year old lift needs to be moved.  The head of Orda ran Gore when that lift went in so the old management was incompetent is not the way they can go on that explanation is it?

Dark side I’d also say we skiers pay for boneheaded and costly mistakes as Orda will then have less money to blow snow if the money is going to fix past screw ups.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
This could have been written by Snoloco
That's not my problem with it. My problem with it is that it could have been written about any ski area.

And from what Harv relayed, it sounded like this realignment is just as much for summer stuff as for winter stuff. So maybe they are thinking ahead? And they are probably also thinking that the new trails will have snowmaking, whereas the glades obviously don't, which will also be better in a world of global warming?

For the 1st time in 17 seasons, I won't have a pass to Gore this year, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but a couple of lift realignments (this, Sunway chair up past that intersection of death, High Peaks chair back to the summit) could do some good.

I'm not thrilled about losing the ski bowl glades, and I hope this project doesn't affect that too much. But didn't that State Resolution pass last year so that they could do land swaps like this? And wasn't that the reason that the lift didn't go up there in the first place?

It seems like there were reasons that they did things the way they did them?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"No impact to the ski bowl glades at this time."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
"No impact to the ski bowl glades at this time."
Excellent
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by Harvey
Ha! The build out of the proposed trails will affect all glades on that side and eliminate a great back country downhill . All trails owned by the town of Johnsburg and the surrounding land by Front Street. They can't keep the Ski Bowl open now. If this happens I'm with Snoloco and probably most in town, they better be open Christmas to Presidents week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I guess "at this time" means that this year the lift won't interfere but when the trails go in, in the future, it will be a different story?

If so I don't think this is new. See the last image in this post:

https://nyskiblog.com/gore-mountain-improvements-2016/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
According to the Gore amendment to its UMP, the new lift will be a high speed quad. The word around town is that the Hudson triple will replace Lift 6 (High Peaks chair), a replacement that's long overdue.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Spongeworthy wrote
 The word around town is that the Hudson triple will replace Lift 6 (High Peaks chair), a replacement that's long overdue.
That is incorrect. The lift 12 will be sold. Lift 6 is on the replacement lift, and it will be a fixed grip triple, but it will be a new lift.
Gotta go to know
1 ... 28293031