Gore Mountain, NY: 12/16 - 12/17/17

13 messages Options
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Gore Mountain, NY: 12/16 - 12/17/17

Arrived in the dark Friday night, cranked a fire and headed out to check the snow.

Still haven't put the MTB in winter storage so space is tight inside.

Up early and over to the mountain.  Often I seem to share first gondi with the friendly (but maybe shy?) woman in the green coat. Seems like we both head for Sunway when there is fresh cord, so I pulled up quick to get a shot of her.

Sublime

Plan was to connect with Square Eddy and to do that I should have waited at the bottom. BUT, I didn't.  Off to the top.

Nice morning. Hawkeye was scratchy so I lapped Headwaters which was fantastic. Some sweet fresh and untracked down skiers right.  I kept lapping it hoping for a shot at Open Pit. I dig get one on the third time back and repeated it for another. Funky chalk whales could be a name for a band.

The new summit lodge was nice.

Eventually I came back down to find Eddy working with NYSEF.  He finished drilling his gates and then we made some turns.

Eddy

Eric rips!

In the afternoon I headed back to the cabin to lay tracks on all our trails, and then headed out to Square Eddy's Casey Mountain Camp for a fantastic meal.

Sunday I got a super early start and skied with Freeheeln and eventually tBatt.  Even thought it snowed all day on Saturday I thought the skiing was better on Sunday...

freeheeln

tBatt

tBatt... well I was stunned. 10 days on tele and he looks good to me.

After I hit the road around 1, they dropped the rope on Lies. Who got it?

"I'm all about Clouding Out. I'm a teleskier now!" —tBatt
ADmiKe ADmiKe
Reply |

Re: Gore Mountain, NY: 12/16 - 12/17/17

Looks like Gore was skiing really well.  Need to make it over there more this year hopefully
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
conditions look pretty good
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

I thought conditions were great. I was kind of singing on Sunday.  
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

I really like this post.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Look at the rear leg of the experienced tele skiers, then look at the rear leg for tbatt.

Ted, get that rear shin a bit more parallel to the ground, separate the knees a little (fore/aft), and sink down into a stronger tele stance. This will have the natural effect of putting more weight on that rear foot without you having to stomp on it.

/tele tip
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Obviously you know way more than I do about this. I'm saying he is better than any 10 day teleskier I have seen.

I bet he'll fix those things you point out quick if he stays at it.
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Gore looks really nice.

MC, feel free and don't be shy with more tele tips.  

I still try to focus on weighting my rear ski...when I hit it right, its like surfing, so cool. But, I need to get it more consistently.  

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

The "zone" is more the exception than the rule for me.  When you are properly weighing without working hard...

I felt like I was there for a while on Sunday.  Man it was fun.
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

Do you still hold your poles half way down?  To me you look like a safe skier, solid, but that pole thing kinda weirded me out. Me I am a croucher.  When I get in trouble I go into Ninja turtle mode.