Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

billyymc
This post was updated on .
Rj1972 wrote
Greek Peak is closed for the season.
WTF? In March?

Camp - what's the visual up there? Webcam looks like there is still plenty of snow on Ody and Iliad.

Their "Spring Fling" ad indicated they would be open today...shocking that they wouldn't just stay open for the locals and make today the last day.

Song is still open - guess I'll have to shoot up there for few hours Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I skied on Saturday, and the Iliad, Odyssey, and Castor were in descent shape. The Fields was a little sketchy, but it totally floored me that they closed after Saturday. Had I known this, I would have opted for Kilington this weekend. Instead, I slept in this morning, and drove back home.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
What the hell happened? I thought GP made more snow after the major warm up in Feb to hold down the key trails? and that was beforee Stella. I would think that they could easily get through next weekend which looks pretty good as of now.  It amazes me how GP can't seem to put out a quality product anymore. I used to ski there a lot when I was younger, and they never used to have a problem keeping a large base on the trails and staying open until April.

Meanwhile, you have a place like Plattekill, with fewer lifts, (2 vs.6) less snowmaking capacity, a much smaller lodge, and no resort, and technically further South. They have huge whales on some of the key trails and a fair amount of base on all the snowmaking trails. They will probably get two more weekends. Turns out Sunday was a better day than Saturday anyhow. Plattekill has done everything in it's power just to keep food on the table if you will. GP has had the luxury of playing around with water parks, condos, huge lodge overhauls, and giant decks. Meanwhile Plattekill continues to offer up a much better skiing product. Comes down to management I guess. You've got a Donald Trump clone with a true love for his game vs. a couple of pussyfoots.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Billy, there's plenty of snow. In fact I took one last rip on my sled yesterday simply because I could, that should tell you something.

I'm with RJ on this one --- WOW is all I can say. I don't think this move was thought all the way through. Not only did they piss every person off that showed up yesterday morning to ski (including a massive amount of locals), they disappointed a shit ton more by  pulling the plug on the season without a planed closing date. The last day of skiing has always been a blast, you could always feel the energy in the air from everyone there. It's the passage to spring. Now they've taken that day away from us. Again, without notice --- the final FU to their loyal, hardcore skier base - season pass holders. Looking at the forecast I fully expected them to be closed all of this week with one final weekend to send us all off. Sunday is supposed to be 52 and nothing but sun, a perfect day for the final day of the season. Our crew will be up on the mountain but not spending any money at Trax. Sad, very sad. Then there's all of those people who were on the fence about purchasing next years season passes. My gut tells me they've lost nearly all of those people with this move to close without notice. They didn't even tell their employees until Saturday that it would be the last day of employment for them. Piss poor form all the way around.

I'm not sure who the best ski area in CNY is anymore but I know who it isn't.

All that said, if Greek's pulling the rug out from underneath us all is the worst thing that happens this week it will be a good week
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
I don't think this move was thought all the way through. Not only did they piss every person off that showed up yesterday morning to ski (including a massive amount of locals), they disappointed a shit ton more by  pulling the plug on the season without a planed closing date. The last day of skiing has always been a blast, you could always feel the energy in the air from everyone there. It's the passage to spring. Now they've taken that day away from us. Again, without notice --- the final FU to their loyal, hardcore skier base - season pass holders.
It was a real sh-t move all around Camp. I hope I don't regret coming back to GP for next season. Could be a one and done scenario.

The closure was so abrupt that it certainly makes one wonder if the rumors of them struggling financially might have some credence. I hope not, but they've done very little this year to dispel those rumors IMO.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I agree with you Billy

No clue what to expect
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
That was a pretty shitty thing... it seems there might be more to it.  Those ordinary guys that bought the place should take a lesson from Laz.   If it was a money thing they could have been out there Sunday loading the lifts themselves... turning what is a real FU into WOW these cats are all right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
tjf1967 wrote
  Those ordinary guys that bought the place should take a lesson from Laz.  
Couldn't agree more.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
That was a pretty shitty thing... it seems there might be more to it.  Those ordinary guys that bought the place should take a lesson from Laz.   If it was a money thing they could have been out there Sunday loading the lifts themselves... turning what is a real FU into WOW these cats are all right.
You'll get no argument from me

I think the dif is these guys already are very successful biz men. They don't need the money from GP to survive, they already have day jobs. I don't know Laz so I'm guessing here, but maybe Platty is his only source of income.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
campgottagopee wrote
 I don't know Laz so I'm guessing here, but maybe Platty is his only source of income.
Pretty sure that is corerect. Although, he does have a race timing business on the side.

https://www.liveracetime.com/

Still I don't think these guys with day jobs have any excuse for running a "resort" with such limited skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I don't think anyone is looking for excuses. That never solves anything. It's the poor form that has everyone questioning what the hell is going on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
campgottagopee wrote
I don't think anyone is looking for excuses. That never solves anything. It's the poor form that has everyone questioning what the hell is going on.
Maybe it's as simple as Greek pulled the plug because of the forecast for rain on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday?
I'm going to make sure to buy my GP pass before the April 15th deadline.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm sure that's the reason D. As I said earlier I fully expected them to close for this week due to the forecast. Looking at the forecast I expected we'd all be going out with a bang this Sunday. Instead we fizzled.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
Looking at the forecast I expected we'd all be going out with a bang this Sunday. Instead we fizzled.
Yep - they should have made Sunday their last day to allow people who anticipated them being open that day to get in some last turns for the year. Closing at 5 on Sunday would have been a much better move in terms of customer (passholder) satisfaction.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
billyymc wrote
Yep - they should have made Sunday their last day to allow people who anticipated them being open that day to get in some last turns for the year. Closing at 5 on Sunday would have been a much better move in terms of customer (passholder) satisfaction.
They absolutely should have made Sunday their last day. It's not as if we were skiing on grass Saturday. There was plenty of snow for one more day. I'm not certain if they would survive until next weekend, but who on earth closes mid-weekend? Imagine those who were staying at the Lodge for the weekend expecting to ski Saturday and Sunday. I would have blown a gasket.  

As Camp suggested, can you imagine how the locals reacted when they showed up expecting to ski on Sunday. Good grief!

This year was all about minimal snowmaking, closing at any sign of liquid precipitation, and running as few lifts as possible. Castor is a darn good beginner trail, and I would bet they ran chair two less than two dozen days this season. Yes, you can pole across the top (Epicurus) to ski Castor, but that's not the easiest for beginners. Heck, I even like to take a run down Castor to add some diversity to the mix.

On a completely different note, the Spartan Race will be back next March.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
It's a shame to end a season that was on the upswing on such a sour note
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
It sucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm certain there is enough snow to open this weekend for the die hard skier/boarder (pass holders) but we've come to the conclusion we are such a small portion of the Greek Peak equation. I ran into a local lifetime Greek Peak ripper at the dump yesterday. First words out of his mouth were WTF are they doing to us?? "US" as if it had meaning, obviously it doesn't. They sent a message to "us" and he pointed out he feels the message will be sent right back come April 15th.

Does this look like a ski area that should be closed???? Or does it look like a $50 million hotel that never should've been built in the first place trying to hang on because it can't support itself.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Big D
Big D wrote

You and Cornhead get your passes yet?
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
campgottagopee wrote
Big D wrote

You and Cornhead get your passes yet?
No. But I will certainly buy mine next week before the April 14th deadline. The one year I did not get the Greek Seasons pass, I really missed it.
1 ... 44454647484950