Greek Peak's last Opening Day?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
104 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak's last Opening Day?

Rj1972
They should be able to blow snow 24/7 for the foreseeable future.  Now, if they only had a modern snowmaking system...  What a mess they created for themselves.  A beautiful hotel across the street from a scrap heap.

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Welcome Billy----look at all the GP skiers

I can confirm the 4", that's no lie. (there's a meatball for SJ)

Think some of the crew is up there today so hopefully they'll report conditions. My guess is it will B darn good.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I can confirm that guns were going all day on the Trojan, Karyatis, meadows, and alpha.  They may also have had some on the lower platonic, but I'm not sure.  

Also, what you've been hearing about changes in ownership or similar are purely rumors.  Even if you heard them from GP employees, they are rumors.  Guaranteed!  Keep in mind what the current debt is.

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Welcome to the forum billyymc, I too have been a season pass holder at GP for the last 15 yrs or so. I sure hope they will be able to continue operations one way or the other, you never appreciate what you've got till it's gone. I live in Conklin, so it's the same distance to Elk. I like Elk, I ski there a couple times per season, but they want over double for a season's pass, zero tree skiing there also. I'd also miss the perks that come with a GP season pass, especially the Whiteface discount, too bad the Gore discount was minimized. I still don't understand that one, both being ORDA held. The new weekdays at Hunter for $28 is sweet too.

Let's hope for everyone's sake the recent Wintery weather continues, I doubt they can survive another season like the last. The conditions at GP last year were pretty good considering, but there's something to be said for the "no snow in my backyard syndrome", sixty degree temps in the dead of Winter don't help either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I'm sorry if I opened a can of worms, but was told in the utmost of confidence not to discuss the discussion I had regarding GP and the Fed.  BTW, what I was told has a number of different scenarios.

Just for the heck of it, who did you hear wanted to purchase GP and the outstanding debt?  Although not a secret, the outstanding debt is currently around $55m, not including the $1.8m loan they received over the summer.

In terms of yesterday's snowmaking, it was howling out there, so I'm sure half the snow landed in the woods.

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
That $55 million in debt seems like an OLD figure. I thought the FDIC lowered it to $36 million.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
BTW, the fractional ownership units at the lodge are now being sold for 50% off, and it's a true 50% off-- not pricing game playing.  This is part of the reorganization.

I didn't hear anything about the FDIC lowering the debt at this juncture.  The $55m was the figure filed in two documents with the bankruptcy court.  The media kept reporting all sorts of numbers in the $35m range, which were erroneous.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by billyymc
I was just curious who people were speculating might buy the place.  I completely understand that you don't want to get folks thinking that Vail or Boyne is buying the place.  

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I don't care who owns the place as long as there is SOME focus on the hill. I'm sorry but to have just 1 trail open the weekend be4 Xmas is just silly. If you had booked a stay at GP, and only had one trail to ski would you ever come back??? I know I wouldn't. I was hoping the BK would open GP's eyes, but apparently it hasn't.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I think they finally realize that the mountain has been neglected, but what can they do at this juncture.  The FDIC is currently calling the shots.  What amazes me is that people drop $1,000 for a weekend at the lodge, only to ski the scrap heap across the road.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great mountain, but their core infrastructure is fifty years old in many cases.  Should it really take a week to open a trail?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I don't care who owns the place as long as there is SOME focus on the hill. I'm sorry but to have just 1 trail open the weekend be4 Xmas is just silly. If you had booked a stay at GP, and only had one trail to ski would you ever come back??? I know I wouldn't. I was hoping the BK would open GP's eyes, but apparently it hasn't.
 Go up the st. Song skied well with no grooming

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Song just doesn't do it for me, I'd hit Lab be4 Song, that's just me...but it's cool
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
I think they finally realize that the mountain has been neglected, but what can they do at this juncture.  The FDIC is currently calling the shots.  What amazes me is that people drop $1,000 for a weekend at the lodge, only to ski the scrap heap across the road.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great mountain, but their core infrastructure is fifty years old in many cases.  Should it really take a week to open a trail?
"BLEAK PEEK"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
What can they do??? IMO, they can take that big fan gun blowing on the tubing hill and put it on the ski hill. They can blow chair 1A sky high and run chair 1. At this point there is no reason not to have illiad, odessy, and the fields w/ chair 1 servicing them. Even the FDIC shouold be able to figure that one out.

Insanity = doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.......I'm afraid that's where we're at with our beloved GP
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
What can they do??? IMO, they can take that big fan gun blowing on the tubing hill and put it on the ski hill. They can blow chair 1A sky high and run chair 1. At this point there is no reason not to have illiad, odessy, and the fields w/ chair 1 servicing them. Even the FDIC shouold be able to figure that one out.

Insanity = doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.......I'm afraid that's where we're at with our beloved GP
I doubt the FDIC is calling any shots with regard to daily operations at GP. That's not they way they operate, nor is it their mandate. RIght now they are just a creditor. If they get to the point of being owner, they probably would shut down operations and try to sell the whole place, and failing that they would liquidate.

Before the bankruptcy GP has consistently had terrible operations, made terrible decisions. That's not going to change now.

Those big yellow guns on towers - one near the base area /A frame, and one halfway down Fields -- they hardly ever use those - anyone know why?  I assume they are decent, since they are relatively  new.

Right now GP's failure to be pounding out the snow as quickly as possible is doing two things - 1 - ensuring holiday skiers head to whiter pastures, and 2 - forcing MANY loyal season passholders to begin to contemplate NOT buying passes for the 2013-2014 season.

So what happens when 20% of their pass holders don't renew next year?  Complete failure, that's what. GP should be bending over backward to keep pass holders in the fold. Instead they do stupid things like close off the little woods roller coaster that the kids like at the top of Karyatis/1A, close off the woods next to Fields, fail to get more than one trail open for Christmas weekend.

Current management deserves the freight train that is coming at them. The ONLY thing they do right is allow tailgating at Ch 5.  And speaking of Chair 5 - they still insist they can't have a liftie assist on that chair - so it bangs into people who don't know how to stiff arm it, or aren't strong enough to -- ensuring kids and families will often get hurt or at least pissed off. I've seen the exact same lift setup elsewhere - and the lifties have no trouble grabbing the chair as it swings around the wheel and gently loading skiers.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote
campgottagopee wrote

I doubt the FDIC is calling any shots with regard to daily operations at GP. That's not they way they operate, nor is it their mandate. RIght now they are just a creditor. If they get to the point of being owner, they probably would shut down operations and try to sell the whole place, and failing that they would liquidate.

Agree, I was kidding w/ my comments regarding the FDIC

billyymc wrote

Before the bankruptcy GP has consistently had terrible operations, made terrible decisions. That's not going to change now.

IMO, not true. I've been skiing GP for fourty years, they USED to have their eye on the ball when it came to skiing. Since HLL came about (or even the planning) youor statement would be correct.

billyymc wrote

Those big yellow guns on towers - one near the base area /A frame, and one halfway down Fields -- they hardly ever use those - anyone know why?  I assume they are decent, since they are relatively  new.

Great question that I don't know the answer to....i can tell you they were pounding yesterday, and seemed to be putting out some great gun POW
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
How about Cornell University. Perhaps they could take possession of everything (deep pockets). Cornell's ski race team trains at GP now. Maybe have management and marketing courses involving the ski area and hotel. Maybe they could put in an 18 hole golf course as a tax write-off or build an agricultural center. Perhaps build some classrooms... etc.