classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
104 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak's last Opening Day?

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
They have been making snow all day on the fields, stoic, mars, and poseidon.  They also had guns going on the Alpha slope.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why they had two fan guns going in the old tubing center. What is that all about?
Before tubing, they used to use that area for additional lessons----my guess is that's their plan again.

Glad they've turned the guns on.

Any mention of chair 5 opening???
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote
They have been making snow all day on the fields, stoic, mars, and poseidon.  They also had guns going on the Alpha slope.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why they had two fan guns going in the old tubing center. What is that all about?
Before tubing, they used to use that area for additional lessons----my guess is that's their plan again.

Glad they've turned the guns on.

Any mention of chair 5 opening???
Yeah, Chair 5 was going to open yesterday at 11.  

Iliad was getting icy up top by noon with Fields closed all day (and Ody closed of course).

Seems like in the past I've seen more snow guns than they have on the hill right now.

Oh, and I think there was a deer carcass hanging in that garage type building by the creek directly behind chair 1.  Maybe I was mistaken.  What's on the menu at HLL tonight?
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
 not sure what hill you were on billy but gp was game on yesterday. Got our passes first thing and probably 6 chairs back when the girl in front of us fell of the chair and slowed down the start a bit  where was the A18 gang? the 10+ish of medium density was a bit heavy by gp le standards - a hoot but a lot work! Tracked out alcmene & Iliad then over to the fields, deepest snow of the day was knee deep there on skiers right.

Legs were shot after a few there and headed over to meet the rest of the fam and newbs for a few castor cruisers. 2 & 4 were running - no 5 , Trojan skiing well with some cream cheese bumps forming and tracks to be had through the terrain park. It was closed as well as Zeus and herc but everything was open game for poachin if you we're so inclined. Did a few obligatory tree runs  off 2 but no base, heavy snow and legs had me weary of snow snakes and were less than stellar. On and off snow showers & squalls and wind picking up throughout the day, some drifts, some areas blown and a bit skiid off in spots but carvable and certainly no ice!

Ended the day lapping Trojan with mrs s. best day in 2 years there for sure and most folks seemed cautiously optimistic that things will work out as long as the snow keeps flying. Occupancy at hll seemed pretty decent and the bar was full (veni special ?  )when we got back from dinner at gatherings. That snow was some good shit for bAse building, can't imagine it will be long before they open 5 if the current wether pattern holds. I was jealous of whoever got to ride that silent carpet when we rolled out early this morning to get back home for hockey and work
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Oh, and I think there was a deer carcass hanging in that garage type building by the creek directly behind chair 1.  Maybe I was mistaken.  What's on the menu at HLL tonight?
  Ha, Camp you get a part time job at Greek? I don't get why everything was roped off. The only trail I poached was Odyssey, but every trail was skiable, albeit with no base. The snow was pretty dense. Odyssey skied great, just had to be careful around the waterbars at the bottom. I made my last run on Castor and noticed they did drop the rope on Aesope's. It was pretty scraped off by then. If you got it early, it was probably sweet. I did a lot of laps on skiers right of Fields, it was skiing nicely.

I think I'll head up after work tomorrow, supposed to snow up to four inches, Winter storm Freyr. I like the naming of Winter storms. It makes remembering them less vague, if the don't coincide with a holiday, as most did in 07. Remember when we skied Freyr, it was epic. Now, those who were lucky, and determined, enough to ski hurricane Sandy have something remember, once in a lifetime, I bet. Whoever heard of anyone skiing a hurricane before Sandy?

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Gorg - I was there Thurs - it was very good, but would have been great if everything was open.

Friday was good too - but like I said getting ice on Iliad.

Surprisingly Aesops was still ok on Friday.  

More snow on the way
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Skied Greek on Fri. 12/28/12 from 9:15 am till 5:45 with a long lunch. Illiad skied great but the upper portion got scraped down to big icy spots later in the day. Skied 1 run down the upper portion of Alchamenie which had only natural coverage and it wasn't bad at all. Up on top of Katiritus Way that little side trail with the rollers that the kids like was open and a ton of kids were in there. Trojan had a deep base and skied great, also Castor too. They don't have those $1.00 small coffee's this year... I bought 1 and the girl charged me $2.15.

Chair 1 stopped and I was right under the wheels of lift tower #11 - and this frickin grease was dripping on my wool hat, ski jacket and ski pants - Yuck!!

The skiing was real good and they were making a lot of snow the full length of Elysian Fields and Stoic, also on Mars Hill and Poseidon.

Saw a flyer announcing $49. all day lift tickets on Sundays starting after Jan. 13, non-holidays, good from 8:30 am till 9 pm.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
@ Gorgonzola---thanks for the report. Same reported from the A18 Gang, albeit heavy snow, they said skiing was good. Most of the guys were there so not sure how ya'll missed each other

@ CH----did you really think I was the only redneck in Virgil

More snow on the way

I plan on being there late morning to hook up with the crew---maybe we'll C U guys in the bar
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Big D
Big D wrote
Up on top of Katiritus Way that little side trail with the rollers that the kids like was open and a ton of kids were in there.
Big D - that area was marked as a Ski Area Boundary last year, so is technically never open now. They did the same on skier's right of Fields, as well as that little spot farther down Karyatis above the bend, and the woods that go from Platonic to Castor (just above Castor Connection).  Basically any fun little shoot through the woods that the kids liked they closed with Ski Area Boundary signs.

Not sure if ski patrol will hassle anyone going through those areas.  I get the feeling that Ski Patrol is getting really fed up with GP management.

Snowing pretty hard here in Endicott right now (8 am Sat) - heading up to GP soon, hope they open 5, but I'm not counting on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Gorg - I was there Thurs - it was very good, but would have been great if everything was open.

Friday was good too - but like I said getting ice on Iliad.

Surprisingly Aesops was still ok on Friday.  

More snow on the way
aahh gotcha billy - scratchy on friday. we were there thursday. guns were a-blazinng when we left friday morning, glad to hear theyre still going!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Still snowing as of 1:30.  They had to pick up at least six inches so far today.  Hit the Iliad until it got skied out and then over to the Trojan, which opened two hours late again today.  I'm in for lunch now, and may call it a day.  Snow guns are still going on the fields, stoic, poesidon, Alpha, and Mars.  The word is that Mars will open tomorrow.

On an aside, does anyone know what on earth the little snow gun is under chair 4 on the Poseidon that looks like something built in a third world nation.  It has a handle on the top of it and doesn't look real high tech.  However, it seems to produce a heck of a lot of snow compared to the fan gun sitting up the trail from it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
They are old ratnik snow guns----they've been around forever. Heck, I made snow in the 80's at GP when they were new-ish
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Thanks for the info on the Ratnik's.  They may be ancient, but I was impressed what those little buggers could do.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
...I made snow in the 80's at GP...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
Ok Harv----your popcorn icon went right over my head
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
Thanks for the info on the Ratnik's.  They may be ancient, but I was impressed what those little buggers could do.
Oh yeah, those lil buggers can out out some snow. Guess the only knock on them  is they're not very efficient.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm just thinkin that a guy who made snow in the 80s at GP might have a story or two..LOL

The Gore snowmakers I've spoken to love the ratniks - the output makes em think it's worth the time to be out there.  They don't have to pay the electric bill!

To me one downside on the ratnik ground guns is the noise. It's the only thing I've seen that Neve is scared of on the mountain so far. I had to teach her about the friendliness of the fan guns and the HKD towers...

This has turned into quite a thread.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Just got back - today (12/29) was probably in the top 5 days I've ever seen at GP.  It snowed hard all morning into early afternoon, then tapered off but never stopped.  The conditions were really great everywhere.  Down to some dirt in a few places on Olympian and Odyssey, but if you stayed left there was powdery bumps all day long.  Iliad was good on the left until mid afternoon. Kristy's was a hidden little gem with two nice fluffy jumps at the entrance and powder down both sides all day. Aesops skied well all day long. Trojan also.  Wherever they groomed got icy in the mid afternoon.

Never opened 5, but maybe tomorrow.  Great day at GP thanks to mother nature....I think there was a good 10 inches today.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Haha, if only i could remember.

Still snowing!!!!!! WaaaaHoooo

Watcha think SJ, 2nd GP thread that dominates!!!
Bwaahahaha
Reply | Threaded
|

avetherave
GP seems a lot like its PA counterpart Bear Creek.. plenty of snow makers and good temps, but no snow making and not opening trails. BC hasn't even opened yet so you guys need to stop complaining . Aren't the owned by the same company? Or weren't they?

I know this isn't the right place to post this but you all seem to know it all about GP.. do you season pass holders pay the full $550 or whatever it is or do you have the discount like BC and only have to pay $315? I know that (at least there used to be) a 25% discount at one if you had a season pass at the other.  But that's besides the point. I'm interning at GP for the winter and debating if a season pass is worth the $ if it's $550.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
I don't know what the connection with Bear Creek is except that there was/is? some kind of tie-in where if you showed your Greek Peak seasons pass at Bear you would get a discount on lift tickets... If you have a Greek Peak seasons pass you get the following discounts - 50% off Whiteface lift tickets. 10% or is it $10 off Gore Tics. Hunter Mountain = 50% off Midweek and 25% off weekends.

As far as seasons passes at Greek - You always get an early seasons best rate if you buy before April 15th. This year it was $325, which is a great price. For example Elk Mountain in northeast PA charges $700 for a seasons pass with no early season discounted price.

Greek used to sell 6 packs (I used to buy 3 - 6 packs to get through the season) and 8 packs which were voucher coupons basically good for 50% off a lift ticket. Then they did away with the 6 and 8 packs and went to a member card - you could buy a "Gold" membership card before a certain deadline for $30. and get discounted lift tickets for up to 50% off. Greek back then always sold seasons passes but they were a little on the expensive side back then. Then about 1999 Greek Peak did away with the $30 membership card and went to a $199 seasons pass (early season discount price) Greek kept the price at $199 for quite a few years then it tended to go up about $15 or $20 per season till last year when it was $325. and they kept the early seasons price at $325 for this year and even had a one month extension added till May 15th.