253 messages Options
123456 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Guess The Ski Area

x10003q
Coach Z wrote
as far as this photo goes my 1st guess is Mt Peter but the mountains in the background look too big for it to be down there so my guess is somewhere in the Catskills but where I don't know
no to Mt Peter
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Yes "cruise ship in the mountains" is the perfect way to explain the Portillio experience to someone that has not been there.  A little over a week removed from skiing and I just went and looked at the pricing to hit Portillio but I'm not sure that is in the budget for the year.  $3400 for the family including food is not bad on one of the kids free weeks but the $1200 each in air fare kills my buzz.
My teenager daughter said that she would like me to bring her to South America so time, yet I have a hard time to get her at Mad River Glen in April. You have to put up a lot to get on my trips, but the price is right. I didn't do the math last year, but the 13 days in 2010 cost me arond $2300 (the $1000 Ottawa-Toronto-Santiago air fare included). Most of Argentina is cheaper than Chile. My stay in Portillo in 2007 was at the Incas Lodge (crowded dorm) which I only used to sleep. It was $74/day for lodging, 4 meals, access to pool/gym + skiing.

Coach Z wrote
Pat - I'll bite - what is your favorite Andes ski experience?
Ski experience and favorite area doesn't necessarily mean the same thing.

Ski experiences:
- All round from lodging all inclusive where skiing isn't only one part of the whole experience: Portillo
- Experience where you want to scare yourself within 2 minutes from getting off the lift : Las Lenas
You can add really low key ski areas that are off the North America radar.

Skiing in general - mostly due to terrain. Portillo is a small area compared to other areas.

Here are my favorite when the snow is nice:
Termas de Chillan now Nevados the Chillan

I didn't post any TRs from last Summer ... yet. Here is something from 2007, unfortunately I just noticed the Facebook linked pictures from my ski partner are now broken (I'll try to relink them). They had most of the action pics.

Termas Part 1 & 2
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2008/05/24/chilean-adventure-the-novel-part-2b-augsep-07-termas-1/
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/chilean-adventure-the-novel-augsep-07-part-2c-termas-2/

The other place is really off the beaten path and located near the town of Esquel, Argentina. I made the trip twice. Stayed 4 days the last time, but its far.
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2008/09/17/la-hoya-arg-sept-3-4-2008-argentinian-adventure-3/
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/43-below-arg-29-aug-1-sept-10/

These are my favorites....so far (I've been to 13). There are still a few lesser known areas I've never been. But to all, they own. Some people like big commercial like Killington, others would prefer the MRG or Smuggs of this world. The same thing applies here.

Sorry for the spam Harv.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
That is hickory.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
ml242 wrote
That is hickory.
Nope
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Burke Mountain in Vermont???
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
snoloco wrote
Burke Mountain in Vermont???
Wrong mountain. Right state.
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
Magic
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
DrSkimeister wrote
Magic
No, but getting warmer.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Bromley?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by MadPatSki
Hint..Europe's most iconic mountain is poking out of the clouds

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Zermatt. :)

I didn't take a chance for find a nice exact location for this one.
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Yep..Klein Matterhorn ...summer skiing..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
SMS's Poma?  One of my favorite "trails" to ski at Stratton.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
MadPatSki wrote
Agree about Portillo being on a bucket list. Far from being my favorite in the Andes, but it has something that very little places have an Earth. It's like staying on a cruise ship away from everyone - instead on being surrounded by water; you are surrounded by mountains.

Stumping? I'm stump with the last picture. I could easily stump someone on ski hills in Quebec; I need to find a place that is known or that people heard of like Portillo.

Yes "cruise ship in the mountains" is the perfect way to explain the Portillio experience to someone that has not been there.  A little over a week removed from skiing and I just went and looked at the pricing to hit Portillio but I'm not sure that is in the budget for the year.  $3400 for the family including food is not bad on one of the kids free weeks but the $1200 each in air fare kills my buzz.

Pat - I'll bite - what is your favorite Andes ski experience?  

as far as this photo goes my 1st guess is Mt Peter but the mountains in the background look too big for it to be down there so my guess is somewhere in the Catskills but where I don't know
Not only is it like a cruise ship in the mountains, it's like a cross between a crusie ship in the mountains and the hotel in "The Shining".  
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
K man wrote
Not only is it like a cruise ship in the mountains, it's like a cross between a crusie ship in the mountains and the hotel in "The Shining".
I think that the Shining was flimed at the lodge at Mt Hood. Been there and that is a creaky old lodge.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
I'll see your Zermatt and raise you one of America's most iconic mountains sticked up thru the clouds taken from what ski area?

Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Coach Z wrote
JasonWx wrote
I'll see your Zermatt and raise you one of America's most iconic mountains sticked up thru the clouds taken from what ski area?

Guessing with the clue...and the fact that I didn't see much of that mountain when I skied there also. Leaving it for someone else, but it has 7 letters right? Ends with an L.
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
x10003q wrote
SMS's Poma?  One of my favorite "trails" to ski at Stratton.
yes
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Grand Teton from Grand Targhee ?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
JasonWx wrote
Grand Teton from Grand Targhee ?
Come to think of it...I think Jason's got it.
Ski Mad World
123456 ... 13