Has Anyone Been to Sugarloaf? Any Thoughts?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Has Anyone Been to Sugarloaf? Any Thoughts?

riverc0il
snoloco wrote
OnTheSnow gives it 200 inches on average which is about the same as Whiteface, but I'm pretty sure it holds onto it slightly better due to latitude.  I'm convinced there isn't anyone at Clarkson who skis as much as I do, so I will probably end up going either on my own or with some of my ski friends I met on here, specifically Glade Runner.  He wants to try to go in early to mid Jan, but I think I'll try to convince him to do March.
Clarkson has a race team, an outing club, and a ski club. Trust me, you aren't skiing more than the guys on the race team, lol. But the point is, there are clearly a lot of folks involved in skiing there. Obviously, racing is quite a different thing  and the touring guys on the outing club may or may not want to hit resorts. But have you met up and skied with everyone on their ski club? March will definitely be a better time than mid-January. If you are going to plan a big trip, you might as well play the better odds for good conditions and more open terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I probably ski just as much or more days than the people on our race team because I start earlier, finish later, and ski both days every weekend plus extra days during breaks.  I don't think you get the sense of just how much I go.  I had 53 days last season, which takes effort to get as a full time college student

The outing club only does backcountry skiing, which I'm not interested in, as you already said.

The ski club is actually a pretty decent size, though quite small realtive to the size of the student body.  I have a car and was going to sign up to drive people last season (they give you a gas reimbursment) but you have to check in at 7am to get it.  My departure time is 6am or WF and 5:30 for Gore.  I always arrive at open so I can get on the mountain before it's crowded and tracked out with long lift lines.  Basically, I consider keeping my arrive early routine more important than finding people around here to go with.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Did you go to a club meeting and ask if there are others who would be interested in an early start? You never know til you ask. Likewise, ask the club officers if you can check in by phone. Nothing against the folks on here (all the NYSB'ers I've met so far have been solid) but it seems like building friendships with your peers is something you might want to work on. Long term, learning to interact and compromise with others is actually an EXTREMELY important skill which you do t seem interested in improving (maybe more important then skiing acutually- gasp). Also, this headache-from-walking-uphill crap is bullshit. If that's real you need to either get a medical diagnosis, put in some serious gym time or just learn how to breath and pace yourself during exercise.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sno

If Excercise causes headaches you need to get checked by a doc and then if ok get you ass in gear and get in better shape.  There is zero excuse at your age for being out of shape and it does not portend good things for you as you age.

You need to figure out a way meet more skiers at Clarkson especially girls.  You don't ski more than the race team there - some of the racers there have low FIS profiles (lower is better) and you do t get there skiing 50 days a year.

Sugarloaf reminds me of WF in many ways.  The snowfields are open a bit more than the Slides but like here it's more of a spring thing.  They don't ski as well as the Slides IMO.

It's best to road trip after a nor'easter there and it's a bitch to get there from here.  It's an easier drive to go to Quebec City and hit the Max pass mts up there.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
It's only hiking that gives me headaches.  I can bike, ski, swim, and do just about any other physical activity without having that issue.

I think it's easier to get to Sugarloaf from Potsdam than from where you live because I can go up through Canada, taking route 132, 30, and 10 out to Sherbrook.  Then just take some country roads for a while, cross into Maine, and you're there.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
When you play golf and walk does it happen?  What about running?  XC skiing?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I haven't played golf in a while.  I don't XC ski or run.  I have walked quite long distances on various occasions, but not on hikes and have not had an issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
With these signs and symptoms you clearly have a severe case of vaginitis, go see your gynecologist immediately.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
raisingarizona wrote
With these signs and symptoms you clearly have a severe case of vaginitis, go see your gynecologist immediately.
Holy crap that sounds serious- definately get that checked out
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
That's no shit right there. This kid is soft AF. I keep reminding myself he's of the generation that never had to get up off the couch to change the channel on the TV, but still.

Now he even thinks he skis more that kids on the race team. Really??? Those kids never stop skiing or training. But he "starts" before them. HA!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

2dogs
In reply to this post by snoloco
Dude, Not sure where your from nor do I care but Sugarloaf is not the only place on the East that has above tree line skiing/riding - get yourself a BC set up & Avi training and get out to explore (Skin up - Chowder Down) there's 2 states called Vermont & New Hampshire that have more BC than you can ski/ride in a life time. Sugarloaf is an Awesome place - rent a condo during Reggae week for a real experience
O and if you want to experience cat skiing take a trip to Loveland CO - cat skiing is free with a $50 day ticket
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
snoloco wrote
I get these splitting headaches every time I attempt to go on a hike.  It literally feels like my head will explode it's that bad.
Sounds like you need to do some cardio work... the headache thing is undoubtedly a result of poor physical conditioning (or maybe it's a fear based psychogenic symptom associated with being so far from Jersey)  When was the last time you ran a timed mile?  How long did it take?
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
You're probably giving yourself a headache.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I bet his parents are going to pay for this snowcat skiing service, this could be related to his ailments.
Reply | Threaded
|

2dogs
Bowling sounds like a better choice of activities for this guy
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
Kid--you asked about some Loaf info, and given I've got about 30 days up there I'll share what I know.

It's big. And it skis big. There is a lot of legit terrain there. And yes--you ski it in pods. Typically start over at King Pine and then work your way across the mountain....that's the way the sun travels. It will get ridiculously cold there, and windy. Two of the coldest days I've ever skied have been on that hill. And with no Gondi, no bubble lifts, and a long way to the bottom, you're exposed for a while once you're on the hill. Their midmountain lodge is nice but it's over on the side and tucked away a bit....it's not super accessible. Snow wise, their 3 snowiest months are March, April, Feb in that order. That's historical. Sure, they've had some awesome snow earlier in the year....but that's what the history says. What's more, it takes a BUNCH of snow to open the snowfields. A LOT. They only blow on Nitro....and that'll usually be open for MLK. With a little bit of blowover they might get Gondi Ext open as well, but Nitro is the money trail. That baby will humble you in a hurry---it's steep, firm, and a huge way to go---a slip will have you sliding the full ~1000+ vert feet until the angle lessens a bit. No fall zone 100%. I fell on Gondi line once (just a smidge less steep), slid like crazy, somehow missed a few trees along the edge before coming to a full stop, and was so shaken up I went straight to the Bag and Kettle for a beer.....at 9:45a.

Full snowfields requires a lot of natural snowfall. Everything on the front side is accessible with a little crosscut. Backside requires a short--and icy--hike up for about 5-10 minutes. The backside is neat, but with a double fall line it doesn't ski all that great (IMO). A couple of fun little pitches, but for most people it's just the experience of being able to go wherever you want to. It's also not well marked. Exiting the backside there's a little traverse that wraps around to the front---that's fairly well defined. But there are also a few little chutes off the back that effectively dump you at entrance to Brackett. The chutes aren't too long, but they are awfully hairy. I like to consider myself pretty seasoned and comfortable, but 1 or 2 of those chutes had me puckering. Don't be a hero---you can get in serious trouble there. A LOT of folks overestimate their abilities or want to ski something like that just to say they did....but I can't stress enough that you need to be VERY comfortable in that type of terrain. It's all single track through there with only 1 line through the chute. I really can't think of much named at Gore that compares...though imagine the 2 nastier sections of Upper Darby but only 1/3 of the width and steeper and you start to get the idea. Now that I've rambled that through, I'll remind you that you need a ton of snow there, and they usually only open that maybe every 2 years...and sometimes it's only open for a few days. Your best bet is early March.

Brackett Basin was great. The further you traverse in the less skier traffic. You can get most of the way over with some skating and sidestepping (think Rabbit Run to Tahawus glades)...no need to take off skis. Very nicely spaced trees and pitch. All of the routes there ski pretty much the same. Can really get an awesome rhythm going because it's so wide too. I've never been up to Burnt Ridge but to be honest with you, I never felt a desire. Plenty of good skiing elsewhere without all the work.

Their groomed terrain is awesome. Lots of selection, can get as steep (Nitro, Widowmaker, Gondi, Gauge) as you want it. They let a good number of trails bump up as well--Ripsaw is fun, but I was always partial to Bubblecuffer and Winters Way---I think a bit longer than Rumor and a little steeper (from below the headwall). VW beetles for sure.

The trees are really the thing. If you can see it, you can ski it. Open boundary. But don't bother exploring too much---their on the map stuff is really well laid out and easily accessed. Great long tree runs, good spacing, and variety. You could ski 3 different trees and feel like they're all on different mountains due to the terrain changes and types of trees.

I've had some brutal days there, and some good ones. Went once last year with my 2 kids (each with over 250 days via season long) and it was probably best day on the hill for a lot of folks---everything open, weather was perfect, recent snowfall, kids skied confidently (with the exception of some hesitation on above-referenced chutes), you name it. But those types of days are a rarity....

Have fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
SIAWOL wrote
Kid--you asked about some Loaf info, and given I've got about 30 days up there I'll share what I know.

It's big. And it skis big. . . .

Their groomed terrain is awesome. Lots of selection, can get as steep (Nitro, Widowmaker, Gondi, Gauge) as you want it. They let a good number of trails bump up as well--Ripsaw is fun, but I was always partial to Bubblecuffer and Winters Way---I think a bit longer than Rumor and a little steeper (from below the headwall). VW beetles for sure.

The trees are really the thing. If you can see it, you can ski it. Open boundary. But don't bother exploring too much---their on the map stuff is really well laid out and easily accessed. Great long tree runs, good spacing, and variety. You could ski 3 different trees and feel like they're all on different mountains due to the terrain changes and types of trees.

I've had some brutal days there, and some good ones. Went once last year with my 2 kids (each with over 250 days via season long) and it was probably best day on the hill for a lot of folks---everything open, weather was perfect, recent snowfall, kids skied confidently (with the exception of some hesitation on above-referenced chutes), you name it. But those types of days are a rarity....

Have fun.
Thanks for the overview.  I'm far more interested in trees than chutes.

What's the drive from Boston like?  Let's assume it's not snowing in Maine.  I've considered checking out skiing up that way during late season at some point.  Have no interest in dealing with frigid temps in Feb.
Reply | Threaded
|

HGTVfan
snoloco wrote
  I get these splitting headaches every time I try to go on one.
You could be getting a migraine headache. They are different for different people and different things trigger them and they change over time. I’ve suffered from them since I was 10 years old.

For me it use to start with aura, which is a block in vision, followed by head pain. It use to last for hours and I didn’t feel quite right for days after. Now I just get the aura which shuts me down where ever I am for about 30 to 60 minutes until my vision clears up, then I can get on with my day.

Triggers for me our classic…bright lights and physical exertion. I wear sun glasses outside always. Even inside if I’m in a bright room or facing a window. I use to try to explain way to people, but gave up on that decades ago.

Less than 2% of the population suffer from migraines, so they cannot understand what we go through. They might say, “Yeah, I get a head ache sometimes too.” Not their fault they just have not point of reference.

The link below is the best video I’ve seen to make people in your life aware. I was so happy to find it so I could show it to my family. They’ve seen me have to shut down for years and words just can’t explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmJW8gYIN4E

The only good advice you’ve received in this thread is from Z…go see a doctor. I’m on meds that help a lot and I see a neurologist. I only get about 3 or 4 episodes a year now and they are very mild compared to what I use to get.

If the pain you’re getting is a result of migraines I feel you and want you to get help.

HPD

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I am sending this to my wife.  Thanks.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp