Has Anyone Been to Sugarloaf? Any Thoughts?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Has Anyone Been to Sugarloaf? Any Thoughts?

MC2 5678F589
Good post by SkiAWOL above. Not much to add to that.

I've got 5 days at Sunday River and 5 days at Sugarloaf with my Max pass. Probably going to try to hit them in late March, or maybe April for the Reggaefest, which is usually a good time.

Don't go too early. It's cold and there isn't enough open. Wait for a storm to come and book a long weekend then.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
April IMO for ray gay fest is fun but the skiing is spring.  If you get there when its cold and they have snow you will spend the entire day over in bracket basin.  I have to get there when there is some cold smoke.  The terrain in the woods is incredibly with a lot more vertical than Jay.  Every time I have been there (4) the snow fields are open which is a must do but very underwhelming.   The skier cross track there was the real deal.  

Snow if you have migraines I apologies for the for the toughen up comments.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I know 2 people with migraines and like HPD they completely and entirely wipe them out. They wouldn't describe them as splitting headaches, but rather they pray to die. It's killer pain. Sno, you really should get that checked out and nip in quickly if in fact that's what you have.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
at one point I was having splitting headaches and went to the doc who had me write down everything I ate and drank during a week.  turned out that the cause was aspartame (NutraSweet).  A big component is formaldehyde and that shit will kill you.  

Go to the doc for sure but try cutting out all diet soda and other things with these artificial sweeteners in them and see what happens.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
@ Z + 1 for the comments about possible causes of migraine.

Lodging:  I've had to stay in Farmington one year, 50 miles away.  They had J3 championships (when they were still J3) and closer rooms were sold out.  And I stayed at a quite decent motel 8 miles north of Sugarloaf but I don't remember the name.  Pretty remote but awesome scenery.

If any XC skiers are reading this thread, Sugarloaf's XC trails are quite nice.  And check out the ski hall of fame in Farmington.
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
Peter Minde wrote
And I stayed at a quite decent motel 8 miles north of Sugarloaf but I don't remember the name.  Pretty remote but awesome scenery.
Not many options north of the loaf....but I have stayed at White Wolf Inn--which is listed as 8 minutes north--might be what you were thinking of Peter.

It certainly looks like it isn't much.....but the rooms were affordable, clean, and functional. And the restaurant downstairs was pretty dang tasty. Standard "pub" fare but made like they actually care about it (as opposed to some joints where it's like out of the freezer, into the warmer, and then onto your plate). Fantastic value.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It didn't sound like a migraine to me. It sounds more like vaginitis.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
raisingarizona wrote
It didn't sound like a migraine to me. It sounds more like vaginitis.
Agree. Drink some water when you're "hiking" and you won't get a headache.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
A big component is formaldehyde and that shit will kill you.
Your body produces formaldehyde. It must be trying to kill you.

While I don't doubt artificial sweeteners are wrong, your science fu is weak.

Now what's this I hear about Snoloco being from Jersey? I didn't realize that.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
He's from RA's hometown.  That's why RA gives him such a hard time!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Z wrote
A big component is formaldehyde and that shit will kill you.
Your body produces formaldehyde. It must be trying to kill you.

While I don't doubt artificial sweeteners are wrong, your science fu is weak.

Now what's this I hear about Snoloco being from Jersey? I didn't realize that.
You are correct it breaks down into Formadlhyde it doesnt contain it.   How this shit ever got FDA approval is beyond me.  There are studies on both sides but the pro studies seem to be funded by the companies that make this poison.

I had splitting migraines and stopped all artificial sweetener intake and poof the headaches stopped.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I saw something on Facebook about them offering cat skiing on their still relatively new sidecountry development Burnt Mountain next season.
Wondering if by "next" sno meant the 17-18 or 18-19 season. I'm thinking this season?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp