classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hickory Ski Center Feb 5, 2011

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
Frozen rain crust destroyed the beautiful snow we had in Central Upstate NY so we had to go north of the sleet line for good off-piste skiing. On our way up the Northway Saturday morning we were discussing our options. We already had tickets to Gore, but we had heard that Hickory Ski Center got 16" of snow that week and were opening for the first time since. I gave my friend in North Creek a call to ask his opinion of whether we should go to Gore or Hickory. Interestingly I got the wrong number but another Harvey Road contributor Dark Side Shaman answered the phone. Funny coincidence, but North Creek is a very small town. I posed our dilemna to him about ski area choice for the day and without hesitation he said "GO TO HICKORY". A quick check of email revealed a list of 10 reasons why we should go to Hickory from another Harvey Road regular, Kirbyvv. The primary reasons being 16" of untracked snow and no crowds. This was enough, our decision was made.

We arrived just after 8am and Kirbyvv was there to greet us.

People began to filter in and everyone seemed quite cheery and friendly. We met another NYSkiblog participant rfarren. Steve_C and Pam were there, which is usually a good indication of a really good day of skiing. I have run into this talented and versatile pair a number of times at Gore and Killington when the skiing has been excellent. This was a good sign.

Pammy, Kirbyvv, rfarren, Powderqueen, Steve_C
Pammy, Kirbyvv, rfarren, Powderqueen, Steve_C

They usually start the lifts at 9am, so we were on the early side. But the ski patrol wanted to get out there early so we were able to ride Poma 1 at 8:30.

The Poma's at Hickory lived up to their reputation. These relic surface lifts launch you pretty good, getting you airborne in various places where the slack gets taken up by the terrain while the cable continues to move quickly. This would happen at the mid-station of Poma 1, lifting you off the ground and propelling you upward. Snowboarders were few at Hickory, and they had the hardest time on these lifts. I think I've heard someone say in the past about the lifts at Hickory "Ride it if you can". I now know what that means.

We were not disappointed by the terrain. It is steep, bouldery and contained a lot of untracked snow. We made first tracks on Grand Teton and Beatnik and continued to find untracked snow throughout the morning.

Poma 2 started around 9:30, which was earlier than they intended. We were at the top of Poma 1 when Kirbyvv, HickoryMartha, Steve_C, the other Pam and a few others made first tracks on Hare. We headed over to Poma 2 to explore the trails from the summit.

HickoryMartha
HickoryMartha

Ski Patroller
Ski Patroler

Steve_C
Steve_C

Poma 2 queue
Poma 2 queue

Not sure what the name of this sweet glade is

Steve_C
Steve_C

It was hard work skiing all that deep snow and we all needed to shed layers and refuel. After delicious breakfast sandwiches we headed back out with much lighter outerwear and fewer layers. Since there are no chairlifts, you don't even get a chance to rest or cool off.

Then we took both pomas up to get a few runs in this beautiful glade
Paulies Perrill

Pammy enter's Paulie's
Pammy enters Paul's 

HickoryMartha drops in
HickoryMartha drops low in Paul's

Pammy rippin it
Pammy rippin it

HickoryMartha
HickoryMartha

After a few runs in Paul's Perrill we came in for lunch. It felt like 2pm but it was only noon! We got a helluva workout both skiing down and riding up on the pomas, on our feet the whole time with no rest between runs. We refueled, rehydated and went back out for more and it started to snow hard...really hard. The new snow coated all that tracked crud we produced throughout the day. We squeezed out as many runs as our bodies could take.

rfarren in a pile eating fresh snow
rfarren in a pile eatin fresh snow 

Kirbyvv shreddin it
Kirbyvv shreddin

HickoryMartha
The Queen of Hickory

By 3:15 we were toast and it was time to peel off the snow soaked softshell  and wet gloves and relax by the fire.
Warm and cozy

while it dumped outside
pukin

It was a very friendly scene at Hickory. There were barely 100 people there and by the end of the day I felt like I had seen everyone who was there and talked to at least half the people or at least shared smiles.

Hickory is one of those cute little ski areas that with a lot of snow is a big treat. They don't have snowmaking and only groom the blue and green trails. This is a great place for new skiers to learn to ski, as the lower mountain is quite foregiving and they groomed it nicely. The upper mountain is mostly expert terrain. It isn't groomed and is continuously steep. 1100 vertical feet of steep natural conditions can kick your butt, especially when you don't get to sit and rest on a chairlift.  

I was surprised that Hickory was using the DAG system for lift tickets.
dag
This is where you get a card that you put in your pocket and it is read electronically at a turnstyle, eliminating the need for lift attendants to stand around and check passes. The lift attendants had their hands full keeping the pomas from getting entangled as they came in. People in the lift line would help dislodge them when they got stuck.

It really felt like a community center, almost like a private club, but unlike private clubs it is very welcoming and friendly. The lodge is warm and comfortable. Even the bathrooms have a special touch in a retro ski motif. I also would like to add that the clam chowder was the best I've ever had. The food is prepared by the chef from the Grist Mill and is very reasonably priced. The menu is pretty limited, but what they have is very good. It is not worth bringing a bag lunch unless you are a vegetarian.  

Hickory is a must-do for the expert skier who likes the down-to-earth, low-key, community ski hills.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hickory Ski Center Feb 5, 2011

GoofyRider
Nice report, nice pics.  Thanks!

I can't even imagine how to ride a poma on a snowboard.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Great report PDQ!
Reply | Threaded
|

stringrrl
Great report, Shar!  There is a great place downstate in Roxbury called Plattekill that is similar - small, quaint and family run.  Also steep expert terrain. They have double chairs, thank god. No great shakes in the cafeteria, though...
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Saturday Feb 12 is Telefest at Hickory:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Hickory-Ski-Center-Telemark-Festival-February-12-2011-td2357448.html

I know that HickoryMartha is planning this shindig...sounds like fun. Maybe I'll free the heel this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Top 5 TR's on the Road.  
Looks like a really great day, and a great place to have a few beers by the fire
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Thanks for the TR. About five years ago my kids and I went to Hickory in the spring and hiked around.  They were totally fascinated with the place and wondered why it wasn't open.  When the news came out that it was going to reopen, we were all excited.  We need to find a day to get over there.  Your TR gives an awesome overview of what the place is like and what to expect.  Question for the Hickory experts. How old does a kid have to be to realistically ride these pomas?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris wrote
Top 5 TR's on the Road.  
+1

Can't wait to go back. With that convenient location (so close to the Northway), once they get snowmaking in place, I think that their chances for success are good.

I can't remember if it was discussed earlier (and not that he owes me an explanation), but did Shawn ever say why they invested money in a DAG card-reading system? To me, those things are best suited for big sprawling multi-base-area resorts like what you find in the Alps, where people stay for a week at a time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
Goreskimom wrote
Question for the Hickory experts. How old does a kid have to be to realistically ride these pomas?  
Being a veteran of another NYS ski area that only had t-bars (Bobcat), I feel that people's fear about surface lifts is vastly exaggerated. I saw seven-year-olds on the steepest one I've ever been on (Lake Louise's Summit Platter).
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Great report!!

my kids love surface lifts and seek them out..
"Peace and Love"
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
you let the cat out of the bag.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
[palm to forehead] Damn, I shoulda gone to Hickory! [palm to forehead]
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Glad you enjoyed your day PDQ!!! Call anytime
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Thanks PDQ. Just what Hickory needed, a great TR with plenty of pics. They say back in the day, people used to build big mounds of snow under the pomas to launch off of. Big air was had.

Hickory.....Bring Big Legs!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
I went there on Sunday, and it looked pristine, the only problem was the sandwich "layer" of crust between two layers of Pow, made turning very hard.  I wish I went on Saturday instead for the softer version.  I still had fund ripping up Ridge because you could go so fast and stay on top of the stuff.  Overall a good day.  
On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Glad you enjoyed your day PDQ!!! Call anytime
Ok, that part was funny. Kinda like.....Green Acres.....The Ziffles, Newt Kiley, Sam Drucker, Mr Haney and the County Agent Hank Kimball. Conversations with Hank Kimball were alot like talking with my Girlfriend.

Wonder if NC has to climb a telephone pole to answer the phone?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Goreskimom wrote
Question for the Hickory experts. How old does a kid have to be to realistically ride these pomas?  
Being a veteran of another NYS ski area that only had t-bars (Bobcat), I feel that people's fear about surface lifts is vastly exaggerated. I saw seven-year-olds on the steepest one I've ever been on (Lake Louise's Summit Platter).
Maybe so, but I've seen Hickorys upper poma scare people away. It used to lift you off the ground right out of the starting gate it goes so fast. I've seen face plants on the take off
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Sounds like an awesome time. I'm starting to consider shelling out the money to go there for a day.
Are they still getting $45 for tickets?

What skis are Cotts riding?

Funny coincidence calling DSShaman.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
In reply to this post by skimore
Not much of a launch anymore, but still a fun ride.  Little kids were ridding both poma's easily on Saturday.  I think we hooked the Powder Queen on Hickory.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Steve Cotts was on Rossi 7S, Hickorymartha, Brian C and I were on Ravyns.  It was a fat ski day for sure.  The tickets are $45, but you do need to buy a one time Snowdag card.  The card is good for life, so don't lose it.  
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis