14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hickory Ski Center, NY: 2/14/15

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 24: It was snowing lightly and I woke 20 mins before the alarm.  Was not as cold as I expected, around zero.

Facebook txt from Clarence at 3am. It was minus 4 and he was rolling the lower mountain. Hmmm.

Cranked the fire, then the CRV and down to Sarah's at 7am opening.  Breakfast, and down to Warrensburg. I need to figure out the real back route, I know it's wayne shorter.

I'm slipping as I was the second car in the customer lot.

Into the lodge I was full dressed including helmet fully one hour before the loft was to spin.

Still within a few minutes lifties were turning her over.

It was cold enough to give POMA 1 trouble starting.  It took a while to get 'er going. The guy working knew exactly what he was doing, using the starter to warm it up a bit.

It's a sweet inline 6, a FORD I think. It runs really smoothly.

Poma 1 Roars to Life

First on Jack Rabbit

The new snow was really dense, feeling like a foot that fell as more and then consolidated.

While the bumps beneath were icy, it was not a manmade icy. On top the snow wasn't exactly bonded but it didn't easily blowoff the layer beneath. You were aware of the layer below, but you could still really shred.

Honey Run

I'm on a new thing where I try to get to Ridge Run early, like on my second run at the top.  I don't take that kind of meadow skipping for granted. I dig it.

Ridge Run

Paul's Peril could be the best inbounds glade in the state. Seriously.  It's 800 feet of steep, fall-line tree skiing.  There are more lines through there than I remembered.

Paul's Peril

Worth bro

Here comes the team

Nicky Z

More, more, more.

Killer day. Thanks for the beer Danzilla!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hickory Ski Center, NY: 2/14/15

GetAmped
So happy you got to get the goods at Hickory. I opted for relationship maintenance today (and really happy I did) considering the temps, crowds and Ski The East comp at Magic. So, when are you coming to Magic? Snow is crazy good...
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Non-snowmaking bumps are fun, even slightly icy ones.

Thanks to whomever is keeping that hill alive!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
What a perfect day..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Place is a gem, I believe that is NmbrdDays on the Worths.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Great to get some turns in with you Harv. Love the picture of "the team". Kids had a blast in the pow and so did the parents. People kept saying "I feel like I am in an alternate universe". Quite a few new to Hickory skiers there on Saturday and they will all be back.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Danzilla wrote
People kept saying "I feel like I am in an alternate universe".
This is exactly why we need smaller ski areas to survive. As much as I like skiing Gore and Stowe and such, we need to have places that are the opposite of that.

I've skied weekends at Gore for the last 13 years. It gets more crowded and more bland every year.  The grooming can best be described as "overzealous". The skiing experience is started to be replaced by the "dealing with crowds" experience (thankfully, the Ski Bowl start has cut down on the most infuriating parts of my day and more thankfully, it's almost March, when the hordes will go away to work on their golf games or whatever).

Places like Hickory are such a refreshing change from that whole scene. Gore has lost its ability to be a "unspoiled gem", but there are still places that can keep the fire of "soul skiing" burning. Long live Hickory!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe

Nuthin else to say.
Reply | Threaded
|

NmbrdDays
In reply to this post by Harvey
ML is right, that was the elusive NmbrdDays! Nice to see someone else on the pink bases. I was one of the first timers at hickory this weekend, I will def be back. The pomas beat me up a lil but that place is awesome. That small mountain has so much soul and life that the big resorts can't match. Even the burger in the cafe was great, I will be back hopefully very soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
Harvey

Great to finally have met you and sharing a few runs.  Thanks for the post of the "team"  I had such a great day I had to go back on Sunday for part II, which was just as good.

I love to vibe of Hickory, the place is just magical.  1200 feet of vert that skies like 2000 is all I can say.  Can't wait to get back.

Best
SirSkier
On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
A very special day.  It was like skiing Utah snow without the airplane ride.  Ironically I'll be skiing in Utah in a few weeks and there's no snow and 60 deg temps!  Oh well..

Here's how we broke in our new Valentines Day Gopro at Hickory.  The first video was edited by our 2nd grade son start to finish.  He edited 25 minutes of footage and got it down to 3:37.  I just picked the soundtrack.  The 2nd video was capturing the takeoff of the two Pomas, which are nothing short of crazy to Ride.   They feel like (I imagine) that six-pack ground lift that Portillo has.  As you'll hear, an 80 y.o. woman is about to ride Poma 1 after me.  Amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wctea2UeFBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fegtwjiGWrM.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Thanks Telerider.. Nice family edit..  Hickory looks and sounds like my kind of place... (Thanks to all the previous posters of affirmation of Hickory righteousness!).
BTW - Pocket Rockets?  

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Maybe the board already knows this, maybe not.....

Years ago, customers used to build large snow mounds under the Poma lift to catch BIG air off of. The skier would slow down while ascending the mound then the J - Bar would pull tight and WHOOSH ! away for a big air ride. People on the adjacent trail would cheer them on as they flew through the air.

Hickory.....It's Hard !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
If anyone knows my bud's name... English or Australian accent, who I skied with multiple runs...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp