classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Home gym advice

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Normally using a YMCA, but not as much as I need to.  The nice thing is I can put the kids in child watch or let them play in block room.  Bad thing is they get sick every time they go.  Also my wife is having trouble finding time to go.

We were talking about buying some exercise equipment but I hate buying this type of stuff.  It's expensive and I know little about it.  I like the stuff they have at the gym but that costs way too much.

Right now kind of up in the air if I should get an exercise bike or a treadmill and a trainer.

Neither of my bikes adapt well to trainers but I could change the rear tire on one for the winter.  My wife's hybrid bike will go on one no problem - has a conventional 10x135 QR and 700c road tires.  I fit her bike but we'd need to adjust and switch saddles to both use it.  I could put a QR on her seatpost and set up a saddle for winter for myself.  Not a huge investment of time or money.  Or I could buy two trainers?

I like a treadmill too but I need one with a good incline.  Pretty much all I do with those things is set it to max incline and climb until I feel like I'm going to pass out.  That does the best training for what I like to do.

Any thoughts on this?  I have a dry basement, so space isn't really a huge issue.  No idea what my budget is, but I'm pretty sure a family membership to the YMCA is over 100 a month (we got a discount the first two years), so say $1200 a year?\

Thanks in advance.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Home gym advice

JasonWx
Not being a hater here
But from my experience and my friends experience..All home gym equipment turns into expensive coat racks..

Better to go online and do Insanity or P90x ..Those work out are the real deal..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Totally agree.  Last stuff I had never got used.  But in all fairness it was a shitty Nordic Track, and I never liked those things anyway.

I'm really thinking we'll use trainers.  You ride your real bike and they are small, and you can't hang a coat on them... don't know though.

Don't know what insanity or P90x is, but I'm not looking for extreme.  I won't do that either.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I second the video workouts.  I have a friend that does insanity and she has a banging body.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Google those work outs..I also do T25...They are only as extreme as you make them.. And Insanity has hot chicks in the vid..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I second the video workouts.  I have a friend that does insanity and she has a banging body.
Pics please.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
You trying to get Harvey more warnings?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
JTG4eva! wrote
You trying to get Harvey more warnings?
I'm sure he'll be fine, but I'll probably be getting served with my divorce papers if a picture actually appears.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Jump rope... It's cheap and effective. In addition to general cardio enhancement, you'll build shoulder, triceps, and calf endurance in a very short period.  Once you have mastered the technique, it becomes very meditative.  All of my workouts start and end with rope sessions.  

Don't waste your money on expensive equipment.... this coming from a guy who's wife insisted on building a large component of the YMCA (aka a Swimex) into our house...

Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
All good feedback, keep it coming.

There's an issue for my wife.  She wants to workout before work while the kids are still sleeping.  She can't be jumping around in the living room.  The kids are asleep right upstairs and will wake up (we have a small house).

Basement might be OK but I'd have to set up a monitor or TV down there for vids.  

Don't know if I could jump rope in the basement though.  The ceiling is kind of low... have to test that out.  I don't think I'd hit my head but the rope might hit the floor joists.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Trainner is great

Push ups and pilates!

Dumbbells and flat bench with angle positions

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
ScottyJack wrote
Trainner is great

Push ups and pilates!

Dumbbells and flat bench with angle positions
What bike do you use and what trainer?

I only have two MTB, but I can put a smaller slick on one for winter.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
I was going to say, a simple set of dumbbells and some serious planks will beat out a lot of home equipment turned shit magnet.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
The multipurpose item I bought after learning how to use it during knee rehab was a TRX.

First item I bought was a BOSU.  Already had a Swiss ball.  Added a kettle bell eventually for bone building purposes more than anything else.

Ended up with an older model of the Skiers Edge for under $100 off craigslist.  From the original owner who moved to Raleigh from Boston.  He was getting rid of all things related to skiing when consolidating to move in with a GF.  Including some straight skis.  Wouldn't spend big bucks on a new one, but it is good for cardio and more fun than a treadmill for a skier.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
I concur with SJ, you can use an ice chest as a bench. Dumb bells are small and changeable if you use the plate type. I would also suggest Yoga. I think you will become bored with the trainer, it is nothing like outdoor riding. I get my cardio outside skiing, XC, back country, and down hill tele.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Yeah - I hate working out.

But as I figure it, I only get outside every 3rd day or so (120/360).  I've been tracking biking, hiking and skiing in Strava for the past two years.

There's a few other things in there that I don't keep track of, as well as gym days, but they are pretty thin.  I'd like to do something every day, but obviously weather and other commitments get in the way.

I showed my doctor my Strava and he thinks I'm some kind of god, but really I'm far from as fit as I'd like to be.

My wife really needs something though.  She's not getting out at all with the kids and work.  She used to swim, but it's too time consuming with the kids and her current job.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
cunning
check your ny blog  email..I sent you a note
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Got it.  Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
My wife is the bigger trainner user.  Rides 20-30 minutes in the am.  Watches cycle movies on the netflicks.  She just finished blood road which was really cool

I set up her surly cross check on the trainer. Ill check which trainer we got in the morning. It was very simple. She loves it. I get bored but during the dark and damp time of year its good

Ive been push up and ab guy my whole life. Was doing pilates when they were called six inches, straight leg raise etc... back into dumbbell work this year.  Reaching age where building muscle mass is important again
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
ScottyJack wrote
My wife is the bigger trainner user.
Mine too... she hates it, but takes it on as a necessary evil.  I will accept nothing less than year-round elite level fitness from my old lady.