117 messages Options
1234 ... 6
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How is Platty going to be Saturday?

Z
Got to head down south to the Cats this weekend for some races.  I absolutely refuse to ski on he Cross Bronx Expressway aka Huntah so I'm thinking of hitting Plattskill  Saturday after dropping the boy off at Hunter.  How is that going to be post rain?

Anyone that knows Platty that will be there Saturday willing to show me around?

I've heard so many good things about this place I want to ski it.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How is Platty going to be Saturday?

Brownski
I'm hoping it comes down as snow up there. Maybe one of our weather guys can comment. Not sure if I'm gonna be there or not on Saturday
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Well since its pouring rain a couple hundred miles north of the Cats that is not going to happen

How does Platty respond post rain typically?  I have no idea of their snowmaking / grooming capacity.

Might be a sign to just watch the race and hang out.  I could do the true Hunter thing I guess and start drinking in  the morning.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
The rain was brief in the cats..The Cats are on the northern edge of Thursday's snowstorm..That said, conditions will be good..Las does a great job at giving you the best possible conditions...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Platty will be in great shape by Sat. My calculations say there will be almost 6" of new snow before Sat. after the cold front moves through tonight. I have some good friends coming up this weekend otherwise, I would be more than happy to show you around.  You will not go wrong coming over to Platty. It is maybe about a 30-35 min drive from Hunter to Platty.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Plattekill is about a half inch to the southwest of the word "Hunter" I believe...
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I'm not very sophisticated meteorologially speaking but what I was looking at jives with what Marcski and Harvey said. If I were you I'd definately go.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
should be great
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
if i don't have to work I plan on being up there
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Do not worry about the weather. You must ski Plattekill.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Plattekill is about a half inch to the southwest of the word "Hunter" I believe...
Platty is west of Hunter, but somewhat to the north.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I personally would just ski at Hunter if I were you. It's going to take you almost an hour to get over there as there is no real direct route, and it's on the other side, and technically not even in the Catskills.  

The weekend crowds at Hunter are really not that big of a deal if you start early, have an early lunch (before everyone else goes in for lunch) and ski while everyone else is having lunch. The city folk are all inside drinking by 1 or 2, and then the mountain is yours. It's all about outsmarting the crowds. Snoloco taught me this trick. Also the West side has some of the most challenging terrain in the Catskills, and that lift never has much of a line. IMO, Hunter is a much more dificult mountain to ski than Plattekill. Slightly steeper, and longer, and not as straight. Plattekill runs are short for alpiners. It has the steep, but you are always going straight down, and you are always looking at the bottom of the mountain unless you are skiing intermediate.

Plattekill is unique in a different way tho. I definitaly recommend checking it out.

This next storm is going to be hitting the South, and if anything, Hunter will get more snow than Platty which is slightly to the North. The storm hitting Metro tomorrow is probably going to cause a backyard effect which might make Hunter busier than usual, so it may actually be a good weekend to go to Platty.

If Platty spent a few bucks on SEO the backyard effect would hit them too.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Looking at the webcam today, Plattekill looked like it got hit pretty hard by rain. Snow tomorrow should help it recover some. Even if not at its best, I'd still choose it over Hunter.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
moguljunkie wrote
Looking at the webcam today, Plattekill looked like it got hit pretty hard by rain. Snow tomorrow should help it recover some. Even if not at its best, I'd still choose it over Hunter.
Me too. I can't stand Hunter. Everything about it bugs me.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
And I'd do the opposite and choose Hunter.

They'll be able to resurface their terrain faster than anyone else and the conditions will be quite good by the weekend.  Yes you're getting natural snow, but that's not going to solve everything unless you're getting quite a bit more.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Yeah, I'm opting for Hunter this weekend myself. Not sure why Coach would want to drive an hour away from his kids race to ski a mountain with less snow.

For the record, I love both mountains. I'm not sure why there is so much hate towards Huntah vs. Plattekill on this forum. Its almost as bad as politics.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
 I can't stand Hunter. Everything about it bugs me.
Holy shit! What bugs you so much? Too many snowguns? Too many lifts? To challenging? Too many people? I guess I can understand that one, but saying everything about it bugs you is crazy.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I have  been skiing Hunta since 1978 , soph year in high school.. But in the last few years I just can't take the crowds..Hunter has always put out great product and the people show up..I just can't handle it anymore..mid week it is a fun place to ski..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Huntah, Schmuntah.

I'm seeing 9-10" at Platty now by Saturday...
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Nope. I'm cool with disagreeing.

I don't see how it's more challenging. Steep east coast ski runs in the Cats are mostly the same thing.

I go the mountains to be in the mountains. to leave the hustle and bustle of the regular day to day world behind. It's escapism and skiing at Hunter feels like I never left. Of course, it's been well over twenty years since I've been there (thank god) but I doubt it's changed much. It feels and looks like the Jersey Shore of the ski world. And then there are the crowds, I hate skiing in and around that many people. I simply can't enjoy it and I can't let go and really ski. It would be a complete waste of my time and money.

It also just looks and feels weird, the mountain seems so tampered with and unnatural. There is ugly shit all over that place, it's just not the sort of experience I enjoy.
1234 ... 6