32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How many use Liftopia? (POLL)

campgottagopee
Noah John wrote
Harvey wrote
our annual costs which currently exceed revenue by a significant amount.
How can that be?  I can't even imagine that your costs could be seriously described as "significant" much less any deficit you're running.
He never said his costs were significant -----
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Campy:

How could his deficit be significant if his costs aren't?

That's like saying "It doesn't cost much to run this place but I'm losing tons of money."
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Here's what he said:

Harvey wrote

It's an experiment and also an attempt to help cover our annual costs which currently exceed revenue by a significant amount.  I may ask for input on other sites to include in the affiliate program.

Thanks.

The word in question is significant, without any monies attached to it. I have no idea what the numbers are but let's say it cost him $100/month to run the place and he brings in $10/mo therefore making cost significantly higher than revenue. That's pretty darn significant.

I had a pizza shop owner once tell me he loses money on every pizza he sells, but  makes it up in volume  ----- that was 10 years ago and I still haven't been able to figure that one out
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
If cost exceeds revenue by a "significant amount" than cost must be significant or it would not be possible for the amount by which it exceeded revenue to be significant.  The word "significant", whatever it may mean to the person using the word, has to, at the very least, not change meaning within the very same sentence that it is used.  

I think what you're saying is slightly different.  Costs are a $100 and revenues are $10 (in your example).  Therefore costs are 10 times revenue - which certainly seems "significant".  And if Harvey considers $90 (the amount by which his costs exceed his revenue) "significant" (and he may - and that's fine) than we know that he would consider any dollar amount higher than $90 to be "significant".

But if costs are 25 cents and revenues are a penny, than we can all agree that the amount by which costs exceed revenue is not significant because costs aren't significant to begin with.  Still a pretty shitty business operation.

The pizza shop story is funny.  That almost sounds like a Rodney Dangerfield quote.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
OK, I give ----- your too deep for me , but I get it now ----- light bulb went off
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Ha!  I was just starting to come around to your way of thinking!  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yeah right ---- believe you me, you don't want THAT to happen!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The amount that NYSB costs to maintain is significant to me. Over the last 12 months advertising covered about 1/3 of it.

Hosting is pretty cheap, now that we've gotten the site down to a faster bare bones framework.

NYSB crashed a bunch of times last spring.  Maybe 20 times in two months. Some were really long outages.  I wanted to get to the bottom of it.  The way the site was built was not efficient.  We rebuilt it from the ground up. It's made the site faster and allowed me to go to much cheaper hosting.  This work was not cheap.

I'm not a developer. I know some HTML. I can edit it, but I don't know how to build things from scratch.  I'm in a position to get this kind of work at a very competitive cost. Even discounted, those costs are still a lot of money to me.

Next is responsive.  This is signifcant work. We'll probably have to switch forum software to something more conventional. If you want to do that without requiring everyone to reregister... well I can't do that without help.

It doesn't really matter if anyone believes it or not. Probably my bad for sharing it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
Thanks for doing what you do! Love this site!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
I believe you.  I didn't realize you had all that work done.  And with products like "My Free Forum" out there, I just figured the cost was negligible.  It also gave me an opportunity to argue the finer points of the English language with my esteemed internet colleague, Professor Campgottagopee.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Noah John wrote
  Professor Campgottagopee.

That has a nice ring to it ---- Prof Camp

Harv, thanks for what you do here ----- kinda fun to watch this place grow and take on character
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Yo Noah , that aint no mere perfesser type   He be " Da  distinguished DEAN of Deerology and Chit "
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.