classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
289 messages Options
1 ... 101112131415
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hunter Conditions

louie.mirags
Great spring day at hunter on sunday 4/9/17.  No crowds at all.  Ski right on the 6man all day.  No way Out was open for hunter west and that still had great coverage.  A lot of the open trails had pretty decent coverage.  Hunter and Belleayre both are saying the want to open this upcoming saturday.  Lets hope so!
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Hunter made the call - not enough snow to open this Saturday  It was a great season! My first with a pass to hunter. Can't say for sure it will be my last but next year will be belleayre/max pass for me. Belle may be open saturday. Fingers crossed  
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
This post was updated on .

Hunter started blowing. Even a natural dusting.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Ha, I drove by and was going to post the same pics
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
Hunter has some fresh snow around. Some groomers were firm. It’s time to sharpen he edges . Should be in good shape with some cold weather coming.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Sneaked down to Hunter today as I was in the area and was looking forward to some Spring-like conditions.  Well, it was warm, I'll give it that much!  Coming from Syracuse (i.e. snow covered ground) I didn't realize how little it has snowed in the Catskills.  Woods were mostly bare.

Most trails were an inch of man-made on top of a very firm compacted base - not ice but close to it.  No fault of the ski area - I'm impressed that over 85% of the terrain was even open.  Haven't been there in awhile - they moved the high-speed quad over to Hunter West and now have a 6-pack up the main mountain.  Makes for easy lapping but can't imagine this zoo on a weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63

Hunter was decent today. Unfortunately the fresh gets skied off so fast. Had to hike in the afternoon to get untracked pow
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Hunter skied well yesterday..Wind issues for the first hour then warm and sunny..

I'm sure they had the busiest day of the season, the mountain didn't feel crowded..Left at 1:30 when it became to icy...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Hunter skied like butah today..Sunny and warm...Crowds were manageable until around 11:45 ish..F lift went down..

I split at 12..8-12 non stop...good for a Saturday
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
.    Checked out Hunter Sunday after two super Platt days. West opened for the first time since the storm. I was able to be the first down Westway. The top third was total wind scour but the rest was great. By the third lap the boards of people arrived. So I hike out to the woods with a buddy. I can barely walk this morning. I guess I really am getting older
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Know a family who had a great time at Hunter over the weekend.  They have a place nearby because husband/father is a Hunter ski instructor.  Only catch was figuring out food with no power for a while.  Parents hiked for turns in Sat morning and had a ball.  Entire family hit the slopes when the lifts opened at 2:30.  Daughter enjoyed her first real powder turns and wanted more.  Lots more skiing on Sunday without worrying about lines since mother and daughter are in seasonal lesson groups.
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
Fun skiing a couple inches of fresh this morning. No one on the mountain

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Looks sweet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hunter opening Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Hunter opening Saturday.
I haven’t gotten my concealed carry permit yet so I think I’ll pass.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63

Mogul Junke at Hunter today
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Awesome shot and awesome awesome too.
Reply | Threaded
|

professor
  Thought about skinning up Hunter on Friday too ….looks great ….what trail? Ended up skinning up the ski bowl and skiing a trail called Moxon I think . Hunter was excellent on Saturday … lots of untracked runs to poach...a little crowded if you stayed on open terrain but no guns necessary P-tex!!!...some hand to hand combat training was helpful !!!! Great early start to the season and more snow tonight . Some of the best early season snow making weather in years coming too . Should have much more terrain open by this weekend!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I skied Hunter today. My brother and I bought Peak Passes this year.  It wasn't an idea I was entirely thrilled about, but my brother goes to college in PA, and lives 5 minutes away from the newly added to the pass resort, Roundtop. He is close to to Whitetail, and Liberty as well. The concept of being able to ski those mountains while he is at college, and be able to ski Hunter and Snow when he is home was a no-brainer. I decided to get a pass as well so I could ski with my brother. Hunter was busy today. The line at the help desk to get your passes was way too long for me. I was standing in line, and drifted out of line for a little bit. was still between the ropes, but not standing directly in the crowd.  An employee at Hunter asked me if I was in line, and I replied "Yes." He replied, "well, please go back to the end of the line, and stay in line because you're clearly not paying attention, and you're making it difficult for our customers to be serviced." I was polite, and did what he asked me to do. I decided to pick up a day pass so I could ski with my brother, and the line for regular tickets was much shorter.

I will probably never ski Hunter again, and since I never redeemed my pass, I will be doing everything in my power to have my pass re-funded. I will not hesitate to tell them about the poor experience I had with Hunter's customers service that made me come to this decision.  Conditions weren't bad at all for November but way too many people, and for whatever reason I don't like the layout of the mountain. I got a Peak pass a couple years ago, and ended up getting a Plattekill pass mid-January, because I got bored of Hunter in a couple weeks. I never went back to Hunter that year. Once again I will be getting a Plattekill pass even though that mountain isn't perfect either, and I've been skiing there 20+ days for the last several years. I'll pick up a FSC card for Gore WF, and Belleayre as well since those mountains never cease to occupy my interests.

Best of luck to Hunter, Peak resorts, and their expansion project. My business isn't needed for their success.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
1 ... 101112131415