289 messages Options
1234 ... 15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hunter Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
Kind of an unusual move for Hunter to announce an opening date.  While it's obviously weather dependent, they resisted this kind of announcement in the past.

This has been on the website for a few days, but got the press release this morning.  Also Hunter's new fully responsive website is live.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Hunter Mountain Announces Opening Day for 2014-15 Season

November 21, 2014 is scheduled for opening day at Hunter Mountain

Hunter, NY – Hunter Mountain is excited to announce its scheduled opening day for the 2014-15 Season, November 21st, as long as temperatures allow for snowmaking! With flurries in the air yesterday, and ground freeze last night, the announcement is timely.

Weather forecasters have been predicting a cold winter with much snowfall, which is music to our ears. We're looking forward to our scheduled opening date, which comes a week earlier than last year's opening date, the day after Thanksgiving 2013.

The Hunter Mountain staff has been in full gear since Labor Day preparing for the upcoming season. Mountain Operations has installed two new carpet lifts in Hunter One, enhancing the learning experience for beginners. Additionally, the mountain has installed new snow guns, which are equipped with water pumps that make the entire snow making process energy efficient. Lastly, Hunter Mountain has added a new Pisten Bully groomer to its fleet, which is ready to create excellent grooming conditions for the upcoming season.

We have an awesome season planned ahead with fun events, great music, and unbeatable skiing and riding. We can't wait to make mountain memories with all of our skiing and snowboarding friends.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hunter Conditions

snoloco
They haven't done this because they didn't want to frustrate customers by missing a projected opening day like they did in 11/12.  

However, there are many good reasons to project an opening day.  One is that it probably reduces the "when are you opening" emails.  If people see a projected opening day, they will know that the mountain will do anything to be open that day and if they get crappy weather, they will open ASAP after that day.  

Another good reason to project an opening day is that it mobilizes skiers who might not think about skiing till later.  If they see "Projected Opening 11/21, they will know that they might be able to ski by then and will probably actually go be mid December.  If this is not done, these skiers might not go till Christmas or after which means less money in Hunter's pocket.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Snow guns are set up as seen in the webcam.  Can't wait to see them lit up.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco

I'm there right now so this is uploaded from my phone.  Temps in lower 50s so spring like conditions.  Belt, Hellgate, Mossy Brook, and some stuff in Hunter 1 is open.  The lifts are 6 pack, B, and C.  It is so great to get back to Hunter this early and have more than Hellgate open before Thanksgiving.  Can't wait for many more trips soon to come!
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
This post was updated on .

Hunter skied well with a good 8-10" fresh coating. Crowds weren't bad for limited trails.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i was there too..morning skied well after lunch just so so

today was more of the same..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm there right now.  Belt, Hellgate, and Minya are open.  Minya is a moguly mess cause they didn't groom it.  IDK why Hunter wouldn't groom all their trails early season.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
6-pack just broke.  Will be down for about half an hour to replace a broken gear.  Have to ride B lift to F lift which isn't ideal, but at least we can still get to the top.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bababooey
In reply to this post by snoloco
they opened minya yesterday..blew all day on friday..probably had to let the whales drain before the plowed them..they had to  open it to disperse the crowds..
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Lots of snowmaking going on this week.  Should have many more trail options for the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Report of 10" of wet snow 1/2 mile from Hunter base.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
A 10" super dense morning at hunter. It was super supportive allowing ventures onto reserved trails. The mist did not help the visibility  but had fun. Bring out the wide skis
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
Hunterone blurry pic from hunter west today
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
That's a great shot!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
JasonWx wrote
That's a great shot!!
+1
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I noticed something promising on a ride up the Zephyr today.  There were 3 guys walking down the trail and one had a chainsaw and the other two had pruners.  They trimmed most of the growth on the lift side of Westway.  Could this mean that they want to blow more of the width this year?
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Yesterday and today were great. Yesterday was amazing....considering how much rain they got. Stayed soft spring like all day but the snow stayed dry despite the rain and warm temps. Lapped the bumps on Clair's in the afternoon. This morning everything was groomed, firm and fast but everyrhing, with the exception of Clair's, warmed and softened up with the sun.  Ate lunch outside on the deck....was quite the view:

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I'll be there tomorrow, can't wait.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Perfect day, sun was in and out of the clouds... snow was soft, lines were light for the busiest day of the year. Go tomorrow!

Pic of me on the far side of Clair's, courtesy of ScottSki

Reply | Threaded
|

Zippy
That looks very nice! I think I will go in the afternoon.
1234 ... 15