classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hunter Mtn, NY: 1/28/2015

x10003q
This post was updated on .
I was able to plan a Wednesday Hunter trip with my brother a few weeks ago. When we arrived at the mountain it was 10 degrees at the base and 1 degree at the top with some big wind. The sun was shining and there were a few new inches of snow from Tuesday's storm. There were many cars in the lot but the mountain was empty

This "line" was about 3 minutes

Conditions were excellent on the main face. Any trails that turned to the west or northwest were blasted clean by the high winds that were blowing most of the day.

Not everybody knows how to use a camera

Packed powder and empty trails

Upper K27

The biggest snowboarder I have ever seen - he must have been 7ft tall and about 350 pounds

This is what Broadway looked like all day - the mid-week dream

The 3-5 inches really dressed up the mountain and we were able to find chopped up powder all day on many slopes. The wind eventually died down and the temps at the top got to 6 degrees. We had another great day at Hunter Mountain.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hunter Mtn, NY - 1/28/2015

JasonWx
Hunter sure is special during the week. With my new job , no more weekdays off...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, Hunter on a weekday, especially if everything is open, is a great place.  Haven't often done that, as the weekdays I steal away are likely to be after a storm or when the Slides are open, so there are usually better options for me on those days.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

climbingbetty
I was there yesterday too and agree it was pretty nice conditions, though those bumps on Upper K27 were MUCH bigger by the end of the day!!!!

The weekdays are definitely the time to go. I work the weekends for the pleasure of that one quiet weekday!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by x10003q
Great post!  I was at Hunter (first time there) that day with a friend and really enjoyed it.  I could see how it could be a zoo on the weekend, but the conditions were great with no lines.  I noticed that at about noon whatever "lines" that were there evaporated.  

I was really impressed with the the length and pitch of the trails.  I'll be sure to check it out again (but this time on a mid-week).  It's nice to compare the different Catskill mountains and their character.  It says a lot about Hunter that you can't get a beer from the summit!  (You can at Belle!)

Now I have to get to the ADKs to check out Gore and Whiteface . . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Betty, I'm quite envious of your schedule right now.

And I like the first timer perspective, Dom! Did you make it to Hunter West? Is it all open yet?
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
west should be very good tomorrow
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Betty, I'm quite envious of your schedule right now.

And I like the first timer perspective, Dom! Did you make it to Hunter West? Is it all open yet?

Sorry for the late reply - I didn't venture there (probably should have!)  According to the snow report it wasn't.  I think some of the single blacks were.